PDA

View Full Version : Canoe trip near Millinocket

emilyc
06-02-2010, 12:05
Hi there,

Firstly, Tintin asked me to post on here that he's going to be in Harpers Ferry in the next few days (could possibly be arriving today) and he hopes to bump into as many of you guys as possible.

I'm coming out to Maine to meet him in August and plan to walk the 100 mile wilderness with him, we'll then have about 2 and a half weeks before we both fly back to the UK. I've been looking at fun stuff to do around Millinocket and we were wondering whether anyone has any suggestions?

I've had a look at going rafting and there seems to be several companies operating out of Millinocket, does anyone have any experience with any of them?

I've also had a look at organising a canoe trip (just the two of us, not with a guide) for a few days and have found a company called katahdin outfitters, anyone know if they're any good or of any other way we could rent a canoe?

Finally (apologies for the long post), we're planning on renting a car to drive over to Milwaukee (Tintin has friends there) and wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap hire car company?

Sorry again for the excessive questions, we'd really appreciate any local knowledge,

All the best to those on the trail,

Emily

turtle fast
06-02-2010, 13:05
You may want to rent from a national auto chain. With many of them you can rent a car at one location and drop it off at another location. Try Enterprise rental car, they have a location in Bangor...and in Augusta too. Milwaukee is an under rated city, we have a lot to do here. Hopefully you make it here for one of the waterfront festivals we have here.

mudhead
06-02-2010, 15:34
Some Europeans underestimate distances here. WI is a solid drive from anywhere in Maine. Be sure you include that in your rental car pricing.

emerald
06-02-2010, 16:19
May want to plug your data into Expedia or MapQuest. Trans-Canada ought to be shorter. Might using a rental vehicle internationally be an issue?

boarstone
06-02-2010, 19:59
Make sure you apply and get an international driver's license if driving over here, from out of country. Contact your insurance agent in your home country about this or your travel club. You may not be able to rent a car here with out one.

fiddlehead
06-02-2010, 21:11
There are two rivers that I have paddled in the area.
The big one, is the Penobscot and is class 5 in spots (if you put in at the "rip" dam)
That is strictly whitewater and popular.

Now, if you want a good idea on a great canoe/camping river, try the East Penobscot.
This was one of my favorite trips in Maine and I did it 3 times back in the '80's.
There are a few portages around big drops (class 6 stuff) but mostly , the trip is class 2 and 3.

Another popular (but longer) trip is the Allagash Wilderness Waterway which is in the northwest and harder to get to and arrange a shuttle. It is patrolled way too heavily by rangers and they will fine you for just about anything if they can. It is aprox 100 miles but can be shortened with the proper shuttle.
I also did this one 3 times but couldn't handle the rangers anymore. They fined us $250 once for cutting the head off a fish we caught before we cooked it! I don't know if they don't have anything better to do with their time or just milking the tourists for all they can get. But we stopped going there.
Good luck with your trip.

shwn354
06-02-2010, 22:56
if you're looking for good flatwater paddling, check out lobster lake into the west branch of the penobscot, really beautiful if you can stand all the moose.

woodsy
06-03-2010, 08:32
The outfitter where you rent the canoe would be the best bet for some ideas on where to canoe/camp for a few days locally, most likely lake type touring that time of year. The drawback to lake touring in that country is wind, water can get whipped up in short notice so be prepared to hunker down and wait it out.
Rivers here for the most part are are best run by canoe in early summer when there is ample water.
If you want a river run go rafting, several decent outfitters for that int he area and the Penobscot is breathtaking , rough and wild ! You've been warned. Ask the canoe outfitter who he/she would recommend for rafting. Northern Outdoor Center and New England Outdoor center are a couple of the bigger ones.

Heater
06-03-2010, 08:59
Amtrak from Boston to Milwaukee is $224 for two people.
Overnight ride.

mudhead
06-03-2010, 10:14
There are two rivers that I have paddled in the area.
The big one, is the Penobscot and is class 5 in spots (if you put in at the "rip" dam)
That is strictly whitewater and popular.

Now, if you want a good idea on a great canoe/camping river, try the East Penobscot.
This was one of my favorite trips in Maine and I did it 3 times back in the '80's.
There are a few portages around big drops (class 6 stuff) but mostly , the trip is class 2 and 3.

Another popular (but longer) trip is the Allagash Wilderness Waterway which is in the northwest and harder to get to and arrange a shuttle. It is patrolled way too heavily by rangers and they will fine you for just about anything if they can. It is aprox 100 miles but can be shortened with the proper shuttle.
I also did this one 3 times but couldn't handle the rangers anymore. They fined us $250 once for cutting the head off a fish we caught before we cooked it! I don't know if they don't have anything better to do with their time or just milking the tourists for all they can get. But we stopped going there.
Good luck with your trip.
Not sure I would want to canoe the CribWorks if any amount of water were coming thru.:eek: Carry on...

That "head off the fish" thing relates to a warden being able to determine if the fish is of legal size. Warden service can be a little much, but it is a standard thing here. Head stays on. Unless it is a whopper...