PDA

View Full Version : magellan explorist 100 is it good enough?

bluffhead
06-02-2010, 23:43
i have this gps that i baught 4+ years ago i never really used it it works in the car but my question is is this a good enough gps to use on a nobo? i was not really planning on using it since im fairly good at land nav, "took a course" in the marines. but my gf and parents want me to take it. anyway it takes approx 120 seconds to find sats. its not color very basic,. what im asking is does anyone use this gps or have used it? or is a compass and maps just as good?

bflorac
06-03-2010, 00:41
I think you will find the general opinion is "Skip it, won't need it, don't want to carry it nor the batteries to keep it running". I have only sectioned up to VA but have found the trail is WELL marked. Since I only hiked in June, I don't know what it looks like in the spring snow or further up north. I wear a watch with a compass (La Crosse XG-55, $60) and carry a cell phone for emergency (powered off) A lot of hikers I meet don't even carry a map. I do, sometime only to entertain me...

bluffhead
06-03-2010, 01:07
thats what i was thinking because i will have cell wich i dont car to use , only in emergency, but i should take it and send home or pretend to take it?

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2010, 08:45
Bluff Head this appears to be more about the psychology of your friends and relatives than its about the GPS. This is more about their peace of mind.

You have to ask them if I gave you a Latitude and Longitude on Google Earth via phone could you find me?

ask that before you buy, these basic GPS systems are ok, but to an advanced map user they are disappointing.

Rocket Jones
06-05-2010, 09:05
For their peace of mind, you could take it, but leave out the weight of the batteries. They don't need to know anything but that you're carrying it for them.

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2010, 09:55
I suspect he got it for a birthday or family event....Lithiums AA's are light enough.

JAK
06-05-2010, 11:17
Isn't it a little ironic that Ferdinand Magellan never made it home?

bluffhead
06-05-2010, 15:32
thanks for the advise.

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2010, 23:27
well we are all tryin to help... You are in a awkward situation

JAK
06-06-2010, 06:32
It is a very good idea to have lat and lon available if you ever have to call search and rescue. When I hike in remote areas I do carry a cell phone to leave a daily message, and to call SAR if I happened stumble across someone with a broken leg, or I happened to break a leg myself, and was lucky enough to get good reception. I would carry a gps also if I owned one and it was light enough, but I would only use it for such emergencies. I sometimes bring a headlamp, but also tend to use those in emergencies only, like stuck in a tough spot after dusk or dark. In general, I only use battery powered devices for emergencies. I don't mind a little extra weight for emergencies, but like to get by without them for my regular day-to-day hiking routine. Also, if I own something already, I usually won't replace it just to save a few ounces. I guess it depends on how much the weight savings is. I might pay $100 to save a pound, but not to save an ounce.

Tin Man
06-06-2010, 07:17
leave the gps at home, but do bring maps

JAK
06-06-2010, 07:30
Yeah, you learn alot more looking at and working with maps. They are alot more fun also, I think, and besides the safety issue, and the convenience of finding your way, I think you get more out of your trip with them. You don't have to track every footstep. It also is nice to enjoy the mystique of being 'somewhere in the woods' without knowing exactly where all the nearest roads, cities, and airports are, and feeling something of what it might have been like before GPS and Lat and Lon, and even maps. I usually just whip out the map at the end of they day, unless I get lost of curious about something along the way. They are a good read at the end of the day, and I think you get more out of your miles with them.

Toolshed
06-06-2010, 13:24
Leave it home. Tell 'em you'll bring your cellphone if they need peace of mind,. I tend to find non-hikers think hikers need a world of goods out there to survive.
Which is why, most nonsense "Hiking Essentials" are bought by the non-hiking/carcamping crowd.

If they are asking you to carry it so you don't get lost, What you could do is turn it on and ask them to find their way to something. I think within 5 minutes they will say never mind......:D

I've carried my Garmin Etrex Vista also my Garmin Map 76CSX on a number of trips as a measure of fun mark shelters and to save tracks. I find that after a day, I don't really care about it and it stays turned off in my pack.
It is fun for dayhiking and some bike trips, but I prefer map and compass, though I have never been even slightly confused as to my location on the AT, as with a few other trails, as it is so well marked.

Tin Man
06-06-2010, 13:37
... I have never been even slightly confused as to my location on the AT, as with a few other trails, as it is so well marked.

besides, there aren't very many places where a road or a house isn't within a mile or two of the trail - with the maximum still less than a day's walk - at least until Maine.

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2010, 19:05
whooaaa - my Garmin and digital compass can find a pub or tavern with a proportional (ample) barmaid at the end of every hike.... Now why would I leave that at home?

Did anyone see this?

SunnyWalker
12-27-2010, 12:34
Bluffhead: We you have no doubt left by now on your hike. However IF you are reading this and if you cannot say "no" why don't you just take it then bounce it ahead in a "bounce box"? But they ARE fun and entertaining. Don't know how much that one would be. Gps units have come a long way in 4+ years. If you don't have any other extras you might take it or one similar. Go to Wal-mart. They have some real good sales right now on gps units. -Chaplain

SunnyWalker
01-06-2011, 22:24
I'm looking forward to the day when one can by a program or map or something of your trail be it AT or CDT or etc., and load it on your gps. No need for paper map.