PDA

View Full Version : MAIL DROP Courtesy

rambunny
06-03-2010, 12:32
Just a heads up people. Please do not send maildrops to places you are not staying.We have to lift them, store them ,then use up our gas trying to get them to people who had no intention of staying with us.I'm very suprised at the number of hikers that don't even say thank you.

bigcranky
06-03-2010, 12:41
I recall a conversation that I had with the proprietors of a hostel in NC about this issue. People would call from the road crossing several miles away and demand that they deliver the package immediately. And then get P.O.'d when it wouldn't happen.

IIRC they started charging a fee for that kind of mail drop. (Free if you stay there, of course.) That might work.

Jack Tarlin
06-03-2010, 12:41
I am not remotely surprised at the number of hikers who take services and favors for granted; expect the world to revolve around their needs; and who don't bother to say "Thank you". Sorry, but that's the world we live in.

Pedaling Fool
06-03-2010, 12:45
Just a heads up people. Please do not send maildrops to places you are not staying.We have to lift them, store them ,then use up our gas trying to get them to people who had no intention of staying with us.I'm very suprised at the number of hikers that don't even say thank you.
Are you speaking for a particular hostel?

I recall a conversation that I had with the proprietors of a hostel in NC about this issue. People would call from the road crossing several miles away and demand that they deliver the package immediately. And then get P.O.'d when it wouldn't happen.

IIRC they started charging a fee for that kind of mail drop. (Free if you stay there, of course.) That might work.
I thought the same thing when I first read this, just get the word out to all AT guides that maildrops from non-patrons will be charged.

SGT Rock
06-03-2010, 12:49
Excellent point.

I my BMT guide I recommend that people call ahead and plan before sending a drop to a service provider. Next year I will also mention that the hiker should also plan to use the other services that provider has besides holding a drop.

nufsaid
06-03-2010, 12:57
Some seem to feel entitled to "trail magic".

Jack Tarlin
06-03-2010, 12:58
Rambunny does indeed run a hostel, and a very good one.

As a simple courtesy, people should avoid sending parcels to places (hostels, motels, etc.) that they are not planning on staying at.

On occcasion, one arrrives at such a place (where one had originally had planned to stay) and one's plans change.....maybe the weather is great and you decide to keep hiking. Or maybe you discover that your trail friends have made other plans and are staying somewhere else. Or whatever. People's plans change, this happens all the time.

But on occasions like this, if I get to a hostel or a motel that's holding my mail and I decide (for whatever reason) that I won't be staying there, I always do this:

*I explain that my plans have changed.
*I thank them for holding and safeguarding my mail.
*I offer them a few dollars for this service (and they usually turn this down).

But what I NEVER do is simply send stuff off to places I have no intention of patronizing. This is really rude. When these places hold stuff for people, it's a service performed by the proprietors and their staff, and it's primarily a service for guests. In rural areas, this frequently means lengthy daily drives to the Post Office and back again. Mail has to be checked in, logged in, recorded, etc.

This is done as a service and a favor to hikers. Outfitters will pretty much do this for anyone, and they don't necessarily expect you to spend any money there.

But when it comes to hostels or motels, this service exists primarily for their guests, and hikers should realize this, and not take advantage of these places.

(P.S. Places who ONLY want to hold mail for their guests should try and have this info provided to the annual Trail guides; that way, people will be better informed before sending out maildrops and parcels. And the places that flat-out have policies where they charge a fee to non-guests for mail-holding services should also make this very clear as it'll cut down on possible problems or mis-understandings later).

ARambler
06-03-2010, 13:01
I like the trail even more than hanging out at great hostels. So, I appreciate 7 day a week mail drops. Being able to hike on, after an early arrival, is even better.

In 2007, the Relax Inn, near you, charged $5.00 to hold a package for non-guests.

I hope you can find a satisfactory charge to take care of us misfits.

Rambler

nufsaid
06-03-2010, 13:03
If you expect and demand it, that isn't magic it is freeloading.

ARambler
06-03-2010, 13:06
Also, I think Standing Bear Farm is willing to hold packages for non guests, A donation IS expected.

A few hostels request ups delivery directly to the hostel, to help the minimize trips to the PO.
Rambler

Jack Tarlin
06-03-2010, 13:13
Standing Bear will indeed hold mail for non-overnighters; this happens all the time.

And while I don't know about an "expected donation" for this service, it's certainly a nice thing to do.

Keep in mind, tho, that Kincora Hostel has an expected donation for overnight guests. It's 4 bucks, and has been since 1997. Half the people that stay there don't leave a cent. Likewise, the church hostel in Damascus has a "donation" box that is equally ignored.

Most thru-hikers think "donations accepted" means "free".

Eventually, a lot of places with policies like this get sick of being taken advantage of, and adopt more stringent policies.

Or more frequently, they simply close their doors.

Lone Wolf
06-03-2010, 13:32
I'm very suprised at the number of hikers that don't even say thank you.

i'm not. it's the new breed

Captain Blue
06-03-2010, 14:00
Your entry in the 2010 Thru Hikers Companion says "accepts mail drops". Maybe it should say "accepts mail drops for guests only" like other establishments say?

BobTheBuilder
06-03-2010, 14:12
I sometimes wonder if the lack of basic manners isn't the root of most of society's ills.

We can't stop self-cenetered people from being jerks (almost by definition), but if you can afford it, go ahead and pay a little extra to one of the trail service providers when you get the chance to try and even things out. If you're a section hiker, you really ought to be able to tip hostel owners, shuttle proividers, etc. ten or twenty bucks.

SGT Rock
06-03-2010, 14:18
I think it is because you don't have to say thank you in video games ;)

M1 Thumb
06-03-2010, 14:45
In my 2010 AT Guide (Awol's), it states the Happy Hiker holds mail for its guests. For those that choose to take advantage of the proprietors I offer this argument: If their policy states that they hold mail for their guests and you mail them a package, you are making a reservation by this action, thus you should be obligated to pay for the hostel space regardless if you plan on using it. Shame on those that take advantage of the people who run the hostels on what has to be a very tight budget.

Captain Blue
06-03-2010, 15:15
thus you should be obligated to pay for the hostel space regardless if you plan on using it.

Good idea! That way a hiker mailing a package will have a guaranteed night of stay whenever they happen to stroll in. If the hostel is full when they get there they can bump someone out and claim priority since they mailed a package.

jersey joe
06-03-2010, 15:30
I think it is because you don't have to say thank you in video games ;)
The baby boomer generation is to blame...they raised these kids!:eek:

RETCW4
06-03-2010, 16:00
I am planning my thru-hike for 2011. I will only have mail drops to establishments I plan on patronizing, except for the USPS. It's the right thing to do.

Tumbleweed

Miner
06-04-2010, 16:18
I always call a business to ask their policy on holding packages as some hotels require a reservation before they will do it. But even the places that don't require a previous reservation should still get your business if you are going to use them unless they clearly state otherwise.

Unfortuntately, I saw the same problem happen on the PCT in one place, when 4 different hikers did exactly that when I stayed there overnight. They picked up their packages and went somewhere else to stay.

rambunny
06-07-2010, 07:53
Thanks everyone. Most of my angst in running a hostel comes from my not being clear about what is expected. We've had wonderful people this season,sorry if i was cranky about this,it was written on a day that i had to drop everything 3 times and run boxes to people who didn't even say thanks. Then one called from Marion (14 mile round trip) and was pissed that i wouldn't run it to her for free. I took all the boxes to The Barn resturant ,that were for non guests-now i just say it's at The Barn, they hold them free in hopes you buy some food.I love what i do here, i just need to fine tune it to make it better for hikers and me!

Spokes
06-07-2010, 08:00

I'm surprised we don't see more of the "new breed" trying to hike with their eyes glued their smartphone while Tweeting......

Old Hiker
06-07-2010, 08:24
Thanks everyone. Most of my angst in running a hostel comes from my not being clear about what is expected. We've had wonderful people this season,sorry if i was cranky about this,it was written on a day that i had to drop everything 3 times and run boxes to people who didn't even say thanks. Then one called from Marion (14 mile round trip) and was pissed that i wouldn't run it to her for free. I took all the boxes to The Barn resturant ,that were for non guests-now i just say it's at The Barn, they hold them free in hopes you buy some food.I love what i do here, i just need to fine tune it to make it better for hikers and me!

Rambunny,

Please excuse the ignorant question, but WHY are you taking someone's package to them? Shouldn't they come and PICK IT UP from where they mailed it to? If I use any mail drops in 2012, I'll be darned if I'll expect someone to bring it to me.

I guess I wouldn't be a very good Trail Angel. Thanks for what you do, though!

Awol2003
06-07-2010, 08:35
In my 2010 AT Guide (Awol's), it states the Happy Hiker holds mail for its guests. For those that choose to take advantage of the proprietors I offer this argument: If their policy states that they hold mail for their guests and you mail them a package, you are making a reservation by this action, thus you should be obligated to pay for the hostel space regardless if you plan on using it. Shame on those that take advantage of the people who run the hostels on what has to be a very tight budget.

The A.T. Guide says "for guests" when the owner specifically asks for it to read that way. In the interest of conserving space in the book, I do not always tack on that phrase but it should be assumed.

On page 2 (Maildrop Guidelines) there is this statement:
"Do not send maildrops to lodging facilities unless you plan to stay with them. If your plans change, offer to pay for the service of holding your mail."

Incredibly, *some* hikers also expect and take rides to town from lodging/ shuttle providers without staying with them.

Cookerhiker
06-07-2010, 08:36
It's unfortunate that this thread even exists - it should be a no-brainer that if you expect a hostel/motel to hold your package, you should stay there or at the very minimum make a more-than-token donation. And asking hostel owners for personal delivery to the Trail - please!:rolleyes:

Rambunny and other hostel owners - thanks for all you do for all hikers, thru and sectioners (like me).

Tilly
06-07-2010, 09:01

This is just unbelievable. I wouldn't have gotten their boxes to them. That is so rude and entitled. Ugh.

Mrs Baggins
06-07-2010, 09:29
The baby boomer generation is to blame...they raised these kids!:eek:

And my response to that is always "And who raised the boomers?" What goes around.........

Blissful
06-07-2010, 20:25
Rambunny and other hostel owners - thanks for all you do for all hikers, thru and sectioners (like me).

Ditto to this. Thanks.

Spot In The Sky
06-08-2010, 17:29
As I am planning my SoBo thru hike- do people just send mail drops to places, even if they plan to stay, without informing the lodging facility or do you call/email ahead?

rambunny
06-14-2010, 09:36
It's always a good thing to check ahead. Some places close for slow times ect.Best of luck on your southbound!!!!

turtle fast
06-14-2010, 15:05
What Hostel does rambunny run? ...as I page through myThru-hikers companion.

Jeff
06-14-2010, 15:43
Rambunny and Aqua run the Happy Hiker Hollow near Atkins, VA. Wonderful place...and she prepares outstanding dinners and breakfasts!!!!!

Hikes in Rain
06-15-2010, 12:12
This brings to my mind some issues I never considered in my planning. On my next section hike, I was planning to leave a resupply box with a local business or hostel. That said, I was certainly going to call and make arrangements well ahead of time. My shuttle would take me through town, so I was planning to drop it off there instead of mailing it, and was expecting to pay for them to hold it for me, with a little extra tossed in over and above the fee, just because they're doing me a service. I certainly wouldn't have expected anyone to run it out to me!!

However, I really wasn't planning to stay, assuming I used a hostel or similar. (I say that, sitting here nice and clean, without having hiked three or four days without a shower!) I have to drive a long way to get where I want to hike, so my thought was stay hiking after picking up my supplies. Now I'm wondering.....

bigcranky
06-15-2010, 13:40
As long as you let them know up front that you won't be staying, but that you'd like to pay a small fee to leave a food drop, that should be fine.

I will note that after 3 or 4 nights in the woods, a hot shower and a soft bed are pretty tempting.

Hikes in Rain
06-15-2010, 17:17
It is tempting, isn't it? I'm just not sure when I'd hit that area (Hot Springs). Lots of variables involved. But yeah, never would have occurred to me NOT to have paid a fee for that service, particularly when I'm expecting to just haul in at any old time and demand my supplies. Plus a tip for being "on call", so to speak. Just didn't think they might expect me to stay. I can be so thoughtless sometimes.

I think I'm talking myself into a shower, soft bed, and good food.

rambunny
06-17-2010, 11:15
Hikes In Rain-you are the kind of thoughtful hiker that would be welcomed.

dmax
06-17-2010, 11:37
I don't see a problem with mailing a package to a hostel and not preplanning on spending the night there. Once I walk in I should be able to decide if I want to spend the night or not. It also gives a chance for the service provider to sell a bunk space or some of their goods they have forsale. But, if a servise provider doesn't want this type of business and help hikers out, it should be clearly noted in the handbooks. But I also agree with the fact the the hostel owners do not need to make any special trips to deliver packages unless they are trying to round up new business.

To me its like going to the post office. Would they not hold my box if I didn't buy a book of stamps?

Lone Wolf
06-17-2010, 12:19
I don't see a problem with mailing a package to a hostel and not preplanning on spending the night there.

To me its like going to the post office. Would they not hold my box if I didn't buy a book of stamps?

the PO will not hold your box if no postage is paid on it. it's not a storage facility

dmax
06-17-2010, 12:27
Good point.

Frosty
06-17-2010, 13:21
*I explain that my plans have changed.
*I thank them for holding and safeguarding my mail.
*I offer them a few dollars for this service (and they usually turn this down).Sounds like simple common courtesy, but I'm afraid it isn't so common sometimes.

Problem is, the people who need to read what you wrote probably aren't on this forum.

Frosty
06-17-2010, 13:29
I don't see a problem with mailing a package to a hostel and not preplanning on spending the night there. Once I walk in I should be able to decide if I want to spend the night or not. It also gives a chance for the service provider to sell a bunk space or some of their goods they have forsale. But, if a servise provider doesn't want this type of business and help hikers out, it should be clearly noted in the handbooks. But I also agree with the fact the the hostel owners do not need to make any special trips to deliver packages unless they are trying to round up new business.

To me its like going to the post office. Would they not hold my box if I didn't buy a book of stamps?No, you have to use the Post Office's services in order for them to hold a package. They won't even accept a General Delivery package if you send it UPS or Fed Ex. The difference is that if it common decency to use a hostels services in return for their services to you, whereas the Post Office requires it.

Yes, it could be clearly delineated in guidebooks that you should use services if you are having a hostel hold you package. It's just sad that it is necessary.

jersey joe
06-17-2010, 13:44
From a business perspective I question the policy of requiring someone to stay at your hostel in order for them to leave a drop there. If you have other services, like you sell food or gear, it sort of makes sense to offer storing the package as a free service if it will bring hikers to your business where they will be tempted to buy food or gear and may even decide to stay. I guess this is what "The Barn" is doing now.

Of course hikers should all be courteous, should not expect the hostel owner to bring them their drop and if a hostel chooses not to accept packages, there is nothing wrong with that!

The Old Fhart
06-17-2010, 14:06
Being a hiker doesn’t bestow any special privileges on you, like being able to require a business to hold or store any of your property for free. A reasonable person wouldn’t expect a business like a hostel or a motel to let you stay there free just because you’re a hiker would they? (remember I said reasonable person, not those who feel entitled)

If you want to see if a business has any provisions for accepting and holding packages for you, whether you’re staying there or not, call them first and make arrangements. If you check and find they don’t want to donate their time and effort to accommodating you for free, or a fee you want to pay, just pack more food and supplies, that’s your choice.

weary
06-17-2010, 14:16
I suspect that humans don't change their basic attitudes over the generations. I know that free loaders abounded on the trail as far back as 1993. In order to have enough funds to reach Katahdin, I finally gave up donating extra bucks to hostels to compensate for fellow hikers who I was quite sure never left a dime in the donation boxes.

The same gimme attitude holds true among those who use our local land trust trails. Overall, people are generous. Our capital campaigns have never failed. But few donations -- and even fewer volunteers -- come in from requests printed on the back of our maps, newsletters, and trail guides, or sent to people who take part in our guided walks.

Most people in every generation probably are takers, not givers. But there seems to always be enough of the latter for society to get by. Hikers strike me as especially unlikely to part with their dollars -- or time.

Weary www.matlt.org

Pedaling Fool
06-17-2010, 14:20
From a business perspective I question the policy of requiring someone to stay at your hostel in order for them to leave a drop there. If you have other services, like you sell food or gear, it sort of makes sense to offer storing the package as a free service if it will bring hikers to your business where they will be tempted to buy food or gear and may even decide to stay. I guess this is what "The Barn" is doing now.

Of course hikers should all be courteous, should not expect the hostel owner to bring them their drop and if a hostel chooses not to accept packages, there is nothing wrong with that!
If hikers acted according to your second paragraph I imagine this would not be much of an issue.

From what I've read the real problem are the hikers that seem to expect free storage and on-demand service without compensation for that service.

Omega Man
06-17-2010, 15:41
Besides a heartfelt thank you, what would be an acceptable "gratuity" figure, if a thru-hiker's plans change and they end up not lodging?

The Old Fhart
06-17-2010, 16:28
Omega Man-“Besides a heartfelt thank you, what would be an acceptable "gratuity" figure, if a thru-hiker's plans change and they end up not lodging?”

If you have made a reservation as a prerequisite to having a business accept and hold a package for you, it is NOT a "gratuity" but could be a cancellation charge. If you called and made reservations and arrangements for a mail drop you should find out what fees might be charged for canceling a reservation. I assume you’re asking about legitimate reasons for a cancellations and not just a ploy to get around a guest-only mail drop policy. :-?

The AMC system has a fairly strict policy borne out of hiker experience and they do make exceptions for extreme weather. Most hotels are more lax. Hostels could determine it on a case by case basis.

AMC-
Reservations cancelled more than 30 days in advance will receive a full refund.
Reservations cancelled 14-30 days in advance will result in a 70% refund.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days in advance are non-refundable.

Hotel-
The policy is you must cancel the room(s) 72 hours prior to your specified arrival; however, these are just general guidelines and the specific policy of the property will prevail. If you cancel before the deadline, generally you will not be charged a penalty. Canceling after the stated period will result in a cancellation penalty fee.

Hikes in Rain
06-17-2010, 19:22
Hikes In Rain-you are the kind of thoughtful hiker that would be welcomed.

Thanks, rambunny, I appreciate that. It seemed like the most reasonable way to go. Just a bit of the Golden Rule.

Graywolf
07-02-2010, 12:41
I suspect that humans don't change their basic attitudes over the generations. I know that free loaders abounded on the trail as far back as 1993. In order to have enough funds to reach Katahdin, I finally gave up donating extra bucks to hostels to compensate for fellow hikers who I was quite sure never left a dime in the donation boxes.

The same gimme attitude holds true among those who use our local land trust trails. Overall, people are generous. Our capital campaigns have never failed. But few donations -- and even fewer volunteers -- come in from requests printed on the back of our maps, newsletters, and trail guides, or sent to people who take part in our guided walks.

Most people in every generation probably are takers, not givers. But there seems to always be enough of the latter for society to get by. Hikers strike me as especially unlikely to part with their dollars -- or time.

Weary www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)

If I lived close to the trail, I would love to donate as much time as possible. It is a sad state when those who use the trail dosnt want to give back.

There is several walking trails near me and when possible, I take a little stick with a nail at the end and try to clean up some. There is also a park with a creek running through it. It can really get polluted with people throwing trash in the creek instead of using the waste cans that are put up around the park. periodically, I grab my canoe and and go and get what I can out of the creek. I have just recently been achknowledged by the City of Irving for my efforts. Funny, at first they didnt like me doing it. My answer to them was, " Who else is going to do it". No one asked, and I dont get paid, but I do enjoy the fruit of my labor, walking in a clean environment..I wished others did the same...

Graywolf

bishopj
07-02-2010, 12:53
It smae thing in the real world now it starting to show up on the trail

10-K
07-02-2010, 14:12
For goodness sake... spread a little money around and use common courtesy.

Generally speaking I don't expect, nor take anything for free at a hostel. I've had offers of payment declined and left money in a conspicuous place as I was leaving anyway.

A grey area is tipping for services that you have to pay for (shuttles for instance). More often than not I haven't tipped a shuttler - not because I'm a tightwad but because it didn't occur to me at the time. I'm more aware of it now though.

Skyline
07-02-2010, 15:32
Some service providers have stopped accepting packages for hikers because a minority of hikers are using UPS or FedEx to ship packages to hostels, shuttlers, etc. that contain illegal drugs. It's an end-run around sending a package to a post office via the US Postal Service where their contraband might be more easily detected, causing the hiker to face charges.

Service providers should not be put in the position of accepting packages with anything illegal in them that could cause criminal problems for them as well as the hiker.

Skyline
07-02-2010, 15:39

Generally speaking I don't expect, nor take anything for free at a hostel. I've had offers of payment declined and left money in a conspicuous place as I was leaving anyway.

A grey area is tipping for services that you have to pay for (shuttles for instance). More often than not I haven't tipped a shuttler - not because I'm a tightwad but because it didn't occur to me at the time. I'm more aware of it now though.

Yes, shuttle drivers should be considered for a moderate tip if they provide good service. Even more if they go beyond the call of duty to be helpful. This would apply to owner-drivers as well as employees. Neither group makes that much to start with.

Another sector of the working class that many people fail to tip properly are the maids who clean motel rooms who are notoriously underpaid. They work hard for their $$$, often having just a few hours to clean every room on the property. I always leave a few $1 bills plus most of my accumulated coins on the dresser before checking out, but I've received looks of astonishment from others who claim they never heard of such a thing.

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2010, 01:25
As I am planning my SoBo thru hike- do people just send mail drops to places, even if they plan to stay, without informing the lodging facility or do you call/email ahead?

I called ahead only to places with seasonal provisions, if I was arriving very close (like a week after) the time they say the open, just to make sure they are indeed opening at the same time this year, and not a week later than usual. Otherwise, if some place says they accept packages, all I did was write the date I hoped to arrive- but I always stayed the night wherever I shipped a package.

It is tempting, isn't it? I'm just not sure when I'd hit that area (Hot Springs).

I think I'm talking myself into a shower, soft bed, and good food.

Off topic, but Elmer's Sunnybank! Best hostel ever! The most comfortable beds anywhere on trail- had a very good night there watiching Blazing Saddles with fellow thrus this past March.

Sounds like simple common courtesy, but I'm afraid it isn't so common sometimes.

Problem is, the people who need to read what you wrote probably aren't on this forum.

Besides a heartfelt thank you, what would be an acceptable "gratuity" figure, if a thru-hiker's plans change and they end up not lodging?

I have never cancelled my plans to stay at a hostel holding my package (I mean, come on, you'd have to REALLY work to keep me away from a night in a warm, dry hostel...), but I've always figured between $3-5- partly depending on how far away from life they are, and how many visitors they get. Someone next door to the PO with 10 hikers/night could do with $3. Someone in the woods who might have to actually go out of their way to pick up only your package? Definitely more.

I'll admit, I pretty rarely tip hostel owners or shuttlers in addition to what they charge me, unless they're really going out of their way for me- mostly because I'm trying to finish my thru hike on not much money left; I wish I could leave a large tip, but I simply can't (And a couple times when I have tried, the owners/shuttlers refused). But I NEVER ever cheat a hostel, and always leave what a normal hostel would charge for those "donations accepted" places.

I APPRECIATE ALL TRAIL ANGELS. Thank you all (hostel runners, trail angels, etc...) for everything you do. Rambunny- I wanted to come stay at your place in Atkins when I was there, but you were closed. Heard your place was great though!

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2010, 01:27
Note about above- I figured the $3-5 to give a hostel for holding a package if you decided not to stay. Might not have made that clear.

Hikes in Rain
07-03-2010, 08:11
Off topic, but Elmer's Sunnybank! Best hostel ever! The most comfortable beds anywhere on trail- had a very good night there watiching Blazing Saddles with fellow thrus this past March.

Not all that far off; that's the place that was highly recommended to hold my supply box. Makes sense, I'd be going right by it in both directions, and being an inn, doesn't keep "regular" business hours.

That's assuming I ever get to take just a week off to make the hike! The world is conspiring against me, due to various folk's health issues (and suddenly a couple of my own) and shifting deadlines with the new program at work. However, I'm getting dangerously close to telling the world to do something anatomically unlikely and hang the consequences, 'cause I'm getting tired of only cyber hiking. Just sayin'.

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2010, 16:24
Well good luck Hikes- I'm sure you'll get out there soon. I know how hard it is to get to the trail sometimes! When it rains, it pours...

Hikes in Rain
07-03-2010, 18:27
Read your trail journal this morning; been wondering how you were doing. You know about the rain and pouring, don't you?!? Best of luck getting back out there, real soon. (My wife and I think you should flip to Maine. You might even meet up with an old buddy of mine, retiring at the end of this month and starting SOBO.)

Back to your ongoing thread, already in progress.