PDA

View Full Version : Vetrans-Thanks

hacksaw
11-10-2002, 03:48
Just a short and heartfelt THANK YOU to all you Vetrans out there. It is through your contributions that America exists, Free and Proud. God Bless America and God Bless YOU!

Hacksaw
USMC 1966-1970
RVN-1st MAW '68,'69,'70.

walkerat99
11-10-2002, 08:43
Thank you for remembering and thank you for serving also. Especially during the years you served since most of the country wanted to forget us during those years and even had to put up with being called names when we returned. But this is America and everyone has the freedom to express their views and the freedom to do as they please and thanks for all the veterans who make that possible.I think it is still the greatest country on the face of the earth and if you don't believe it try living in another one for awhile.

Sincerely,
Ed (Never Alone)AT99

US Army
4th Inf. Div.
66-67-68

ez-does-it
11-10-2002, 11:53
I want to thank Hacksaw and Walkerat99 for posting there Thank yous and for remmembering the Vets. out there.It sure is nice to be remmbered.
USN-Enlisted 5-15-68 to 9-16-70
GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS YOU

Kerosene
11-10-2002, 11:55
Every Independence Day my family goes to Greenfield Village in Dearborn to listen to the U.S. Army Band and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. They play a 2-hour concert before accompanying some of the best fireworks in the area.

Part of the now 10-year tradition includes an emotional medley of armed forces service songs where veterans are asked to stand during their portion. I use this as an opportunity to reinforce the value and sacrifices needed to maintain our freedom with my pre-teen daughter. I think she "gets it".

I have not served in the armed forces, and I truly can't say that I regret that. However, I also know that I would not hesitate to do what needs to be done to keep this country free and secure.

God bless America.

Moose2001
11-10-2002, 18:59
Hacksaw old buddy, thanks for the post. It's always good to see a thank you for serving our country. RVN was a long time ago in years but probably still with you. Thank you for your service to our country. Thank you also for all you do for the hiking community.

Hey, I'm going to be back on Springer in March 2003. You still shuttling?

Moose

USAF
1971- 1994

Trail Yeti
11-10-2002, 22:35
SEMPER FI! Hacksaw...and all the other vets out there.
Trail Yeti
USMC 98-02
26 MEU 00

slabfoot
11-11-2002, 12:37
to all the vets who have served or are still serving, my sincere thanks.

regards,
bill slabonik, uscg retired (1969-1989)

snagmeabeer
11-11-2002, 18:01
I was watching a show on the Outdoor Network this morning and saw a piece about a guy who completed the A.T. this year. I was intrigued about the challenge, planning and logistics.
I got on the internet to research what this excursion was all about and happened upon this site. I signed up so I could review the entries and spent the last hour reading the jokes, gear reviews and various "tales of the trail". It was very interesting. I was impressed with the knowledge, seriousness and dedication that this endevour requires in order to be successful.
I forgot what holiday today is and where I am personally until I saw this thread about Veterans Day.
Tomorrow will be my last day in the Navy after 20 years active duty. I will have a short 10 minute retirement cerimony at 0900 with the CO and the folk I currently work with and then procede to the local VFW to open the bar and have refreshmants with friends.
Thanks for the Veterans Day thread. Thanks for the thought. God bless you and yours and God Bless America.

r/Snag

tioneon
11-11-2002, 18:22
Hi Snagmeabeer--

Congrats and a heat-felt thank you!

Seems to me that you may be in need a 5 or 6 month transition program to civilian living. I understand that there is a real good one beginning at Springer Mt. this April. ;-)

Tio Neon

snagmeabeer
11-11-2002, 21:16
Tio Neon,

transition program? Hey! How 'bout a hardy, hardy, hayehayehooooyaaawwwiinggoww type a program?

Seriously, yea, the hook may be set for March (April??)
This site is truly food for thought, thanks all.

All the best

r/Snag
CPO USN(ret)

attroll
11-11-2002, 23:40
Congrats to you Snagmeabeer. I retired from the USN in 1999 after 20 years of service. It is going to be quite a change for you believe it or not. But one I know you will enjoy. I wish the best to you and your family.

USN 79 - 99

snagmeabeer
11-12-2002, 01:53
At Troll.

TKS big guy, I'll see you on the far side with some hot coffee and Yankee potroast (wilderness stew) a'cookin'.

Good Luck

r/snag

Trail Yeti
11-12-2002, 19:25
snagmeabeer-
congrats on the retirement. I did the "transition program" as my AT thruhike-although I called it "deprogramming"!
It works trust me, I started the hike 10 days after getting out of the Marines. Only thing, when I finally got back to "civilazation" it was double culture shock...from the service to the trail to real life. I am still not used to it! ha ha ha
TrailYeti
ps-I LUV the name!:D

SGT Rock
11-13-2002, 12:22
Thanks to ya'll that came before, your welcome from those still serving, and I'm proud of you that have signed up and are waiting to ship.

I spent Veterans Day on a live fire range watching some of our great young men training to do what they sometimes must. It was a great weekend to be in the Cav.

1SG Ernest Engman
Ghost Troop 2d Dragoons
Fort Polk, LA

1985 - ?

hacksaw
11-14-2002, 02:31
Hi Rock,

Glad to hear from you. Sounds like your Vetrans Day was like most vetrans I know, hard at work. Seems like only the bankers and government workers actually get the day off. The vets just keep on doing what they do.

I spent my Vetrans Day cleaning up from the tornado that struck Big Canoe, as well as many other places. We were hit hard property damage wise, but no serious injuries or loss of life. Most of the trees Big Canoe is famous for and so protective of no longer exist. We probably lost 5,000 trees over a hundred and fifty years old. Some of the prettiest white pine timber I've ever seen is being hauled out of here every day now and they haven't even made a dent in the blowdowns.

The Chapel where I work took six direct hits by huge trees. Major structural damage although not a total loss. We'll be out of the building for 6-8 months, though. I missed being in the building by about 5 minutes. I probably would not have been hurt, but my truck would have been flattened under one of the big pines that fell across the parking lot. Guess I'm pretty lucky all around. We're only today able to start preparing our other building to hold services this weekend and as you can imagine it's quite a bit of work. Today I built an alter. Very rewarding. Many great volunteers. Still weeks of tree and debris removal ahead. This place won't look the same for a hundred years, if ever.

Hacksaw

SGT Rock
11-14-2002, 07:46
Hacksaw,

Glad to hear you made it out OK. I heard about the tornados while I was out. Glad to hear the truck didn't get flattened - a lot of hikers would be out of luck next season, but mostly glad no one was hurt.

About the trees though, seems like nature has a plan for things like that. Although the trees will be missed, it's natural. At least they weren't cut down and burned so some rich guy could build a million dollar hous on a ridge.

GOD I MISS THOSE MOUNTAINS! - Louisiana is depressingly flat!

The Weasel
11-14-2002, 20:57
For those of you who will soon hike the Appalachian Trail, you will need to get used to the intense and often deeply touching sense of what those who defended our country have done, and the close relationship the AT has to them. That ranges from the proximity of the AT to Camp Merrill in Georgia (three miles off-trail, where the Army trains its famous Rangers - and which affords retired and active duty military a variety of facilities (are you reading this, Ernest?) to the graves of two Union soldiers from NC, murdered by Confederate militia that we pass literally on the trail, to the Overmountain Trail that played such a major part in the Revolution - and more places, you'll feel the role that members of our military, from the days of Washington right to the present play in keeping us free and safe.

The Weasel

SGT Rock
11-14-2002, 23:59
Other thing Weasel hasn't mention are West Point which the trail goes very near and has PX, Commissary, guest house, etc. and has A LOT of history to it. plan to stop for a re-supply and cheap rate on a good hotel at the guest house.

One that should touch a lot of us is Audie Murphy's crash site and monument in Virginia. If you don't know who Audie L. Murphy is, shame on you.

walkerat99
11-15-2002, 07:25
Yes, I agree with Sgt. Rock. It was a special moment for me when I stood all alone at the Audie Murphy Monument and remembered. As were many places along the trail that had so many places to reflect and thank all those who gave so much that we can enjoy the life we have here in the USA. Just south of Harper's Ferry coming down the hill you can still see the trenches where the solders had dug in to battle for Harper's Ferry. I thought of all those young men both North and South who had given their all. So many places and battlefields that the trail goes by or near that I learned a lot of history as I hiked. The AT even passes very close by Camp David and all the history of that place. I had even written a letter home and sent some photos of Washington Monument (the first one) and my daughter just happen to be studying the area in her 4th grade class. The other kids and teacher was so surprised to actually see some photos from the area, the very same week they were studying about it.. Just my 2 cents..

A wonderful and rewarding experience of a lifetime to hike the AT.

Sinceerely,
Ed

PS. I was so sorry to learn about the accident that happened yesterday at Fort Polk. My thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones and all the remaining military buddies.
Ed

SGT Rock
11-15-2002, 07:47
Just a thought about that accident.

Yesterday I was on my way to work and I always drive by the Hospital landing pad on the way in. Yesterday I was late because a MEDEVAC bird was landing and bringing in casualties. I watched two litters leave the bird and thought "that looked bad". About 6 hours later I learned what had happened. Last rotation my unit was going through as BLUEFOR and a scout/attack helicopter crashed from maintenance problems killing both pilots. Unfortunately soldiers get hurt and killed even in training.