PDA

View Full Version : What was on that foundation???

tphennig
10-31-2004, 21:09
I've recently completed my first section hike of the AT in the Smokies. Somewhere around Mt. Guyot/Old Black there is some cement in the ground, two lines forming an angle slightly less than 90 degrees. Is this an old foundaton? What used to be there? Also, between the intersection to Snake Ridge Trail and the Pecks Corner Shelter, the trail is covered with a lot of old mortar more than natural rock. What is this from? Did it come from what used to be on the foundation up there??? On another note, PLEASE PACK OUT TRASH. If you burn it, make sure it all burns. In the northeastern half of the park, at many shelters, there was a lot of leftover trash in the fire rings and fireplaces, mostly foil packets. One final note, I think I've chosen my trail name. I'm calling myself Montague (unless something more appropriate comes along).

chris
11-01-2004, 11:06
I can't say I've ever noticed the mortar between Snake Den Ridge and Pecks corner. Is the concrete you found just east (NOBO on the AT) of Tricorner shelter? If so, I think that used to be a helicopter pad.

Lone Wolf
11-01-2004, 11:07
Fire tower base.