PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Tarptent brand tents?

True Blue
06-03-2010, 19:55
I currently use a 2-wall tent system (Kelty Gunnison 3) but would like to shed some weight without sacrificing space. Both my husband and I are wide-shouldered and wide-hipped, so we enjoy the space of a 3-person tent. We do mostly 1-2 week trips during late spring through early fall. Am considering buying a Tarptent Rainshadow or Double Rainbow.

Does anyone have experience with these particular tents? Can you recommend them? Is a 2-wall system really worth the weight? What about rain worthiness? Thanks.

gunner76
06-03-2010, 20:17
Check out Lighheart tents

bigcranky
06-03-2010, 20:57
I currently use a 2-wall tent system (Kelty Gunnison 3) but would like to shed some weight without sacrificing space. Both my husband and I are wide-shouldered and wide-hipped, so we enjoy the space of a 3-person tent. We do mostly 1-2 week trips during late spring through early fall. Am considering buying a Tarptent Rainshadow or Double Rainbow.

Plenty of hikers use Tarptents. Very popular. We have owned several, including both the Rainshadow and the Double Rainbow (and a Moment and a Squall and....)

Of those two, if you like interior space, I would recommend the Rainshadow II, which despite its name is actually a 3-person tent. We had the original Rainshadow when we hiked with our teenage daughter, and it actually fit 3 people and most gear. When my wife and I used it by ourselves, it was a palace. It's very easy to set up, and handles bad weather well. Good headroom, plenty long enough for a tall person, and you can bring all your gear inside.

We decided to try the Double Rainbow to get two doors and more ventilation. Great tent, but we found it cramped in comparison to the Rainshadow. (I used it for a year or so as a solo tent before I got the Moment.) We are now using a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo, which is a two-person tent with two doors, two big vestibules, and an unbelievable interior volume. Because the long side walls are vertical, we can both sit up at the same time, get dressed, pack gear, etc., and not bang our heads together. (When our daughter hikes with us, she can join us inside to eat if it's raining -- plenty of room.)

Several things to note about tarptents (of any brand):

Site selection is crucial. You can't just throw it down in a packed-down campsite in the rain and expect to stay dry.

They have more airiness and ventilation than double wall tents because the side walls don't connect to the floor (there is netting in between.) This is great in warm weather, but they can be cold in a stiff cold wind. Again, site selection.

Some interior condensation is common. It's a single wall tent, and you have to breathe.... We carry a small pack towel and wipe it off in the morning. Not a big deal to us, but some hikers just put the hate all over this. One key is to leave the doors open unless it's actually raining -- more ventilation is better.

We've been using these things since 2004, and I wouldn't go back to a "normal" tent.

gumball
06-03-2010, 21:14
Ditto to the points Ken about the tarptents in general. We have been using the Double Rainbow without problems for the past several years. Next tent will likely be the Rainshadow II.

LIhikers
06-03-2010, 21:39
..... Am considering buying a Tarptent Rainshadow or Double Rainbow.

Does anyone have experience with these particular tents? Can you recommend them? Is a 2-wall system really worth the weight? What about rain worthiness? Thanks.

My wife and I have the Rainshadow and like it. It's got more than enough room for any 2 people with room left over for gear. It's got enough room for us, our large dog, and a some gear. We've never gotten wet in the rain, and we've been in plenty with it. Like any single wall tent you might wind up with condensation on the inside of the fabric in certain situations. That's usually easy enough to prevent by being mindful when you set it up, the more ventilation the better. Keep in mind that a hiking pole is used to support the head end, so if you don't hike with poles you'll have to use something else. And having the 2 doors at that end lets either of you get in or out without disturbing the other. All in all I'd say it ought to be one of your top choices.

garlic08
06-03-2010, 21:47
I don't use those particular models, but I am a long-time user of Tarptent products. I've used and worn out three of them over the last eight years. I'm about ready to buy another one.

Silnylon is not as waterproof as urethane-coated nylon. You'll get more seepage through the floor and even through the canopy in extremely heavy, wind-blown rain. These are minor issues, easily solved with a bandanna. The single-wall design also allows more condensation to form adjacent to the sleeping area.

Tarptents and similar shelters are great for thru-hikers--those who walk long days and mainly pitch a shelter only to sleep in, and maybe not even then. They may not be so good for base campers, if you walk a few miles in and expect to camp out in the tent for days at a time in all kinds of weather.

TIDE-HSV
06-04-2010, 00:46
One more Double Rainbow user here. We really like it, with the limitations set out above by the other users. For camping alone, I have the Lunar Solo...

Jim Adams
06-04-2010, 00:56
"Is a 2 wall system really worth the weight?"
YES!

geek

True Blue
06-04-2010, 01:04
Wow! Valuable info! Thank you to all!

I will definitely check out lightheart tents.
This will be our third summer backpacking. We have learned enough to know that most of the gear we bought, while perfectly useful, needs to be replaced with lighter items. Our AT thruhike is still 12 years out... until then we'll feed our addiction with section hikes.

BrianLe
06-04-2010, 10:10
If you have a lot of money to throw at the problem, you could consider Terra Nova tents (http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Brand/Terra_Nova/Tents) (Laser or Solar Elite).
Lucky and I looked at these at Trail Days in Damascus this year and we were favorably impressed (but heck, we liked the Light Heart tents too, for different reasons). Apart from the cost, Terra Nova does seem to offer double wall tent benefits at pretty low weights in a couple of models. We both had hiked with a fellow from England who had something like this, and he liked it, FWIW.

I suspect that for someone spending a whole lot of time outdoors, a Terra Nova tent might be worth the money, but for most people a good tarp tent plus some experience at how and where to pitch it is a fine option. For now at least, I'm still happy with my Contrail.