PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness at age 16?

EarlyStarter
06-03-2010, 21:26
I'm an avid hiker of the A.T. and I've gone section hiking in Rocksylvania several times. I know what I'm doing outdoors. I'm looking to give myself a sort of "ultimate challenge" before my thru-hike in 2 years. I figure, if I can get through the 100 mile wilderness, I can do the whole trail. Is it unreasonably dangerous for me to attempt to solo this stretch of trail at age 16?

emerald
06-03-2010, 22:17
No more than hiking in Pennsylvania if you know what you are doing. I'd suggest going in August with maps, but it's a long way to go for something you could learn closer to home. There is something special about seeing Katahdin for the 1st time and watching it grow as you close in on it.

The Long Trail north of Sherburne Pass would be a better test and when you through hike you can become an End-to-Ender in the process. Instead of spending your cash on transportation, spend more time on the trail.

Shutterbug
06-03-2010, 23:37
I'm an avid hiker of the A.T. and I've gone section hiking in Rocksylvania several times. I know what I'm doing outdoors. I'm looking to give myself a sort of "ultimate challenge" before my thru-hike in 2 years. I figure, if I can get through the 100 mile wilderness, I can do the whole trail. Is it unreasonably dangerous for me to attempt to solo this stretch of trail at age 16?

The Hundred Mile Wilderness is no more dangerous than any other part of the AT. My suggestion would be to do it as late in the year as your schedule allows. Fall is a great time to enjoy Maine.

I also recommned hiking southbound. That way you will get to meet a lot of thru-hikers going north. In August and September, you will not be camping alone if you stay at a shelter.

Wrangler88
06-04-2010, 01:51
I met two kids that were younger than you that were doing the 100 Miles by themselves. Kind of shocked me but I guess they knew what they were doing.

I say if you know what YOU'RE doing, then go for it! It's not really all that difficult and there are more places to bail out then what you would think. Make sure you have a good guidebook like the AT Guide or some other book.

JAK
06-04-2010, 05:20
It depends on knowledge and experience more than age, but of course everyone starts somewhere. Your physical our size and gender and maturity level are significant factors also, especially if hiking solo. It is not always easy to give yourself an accurate self-assessment in regards to your personal safety and preparedness, but it is not that easy to find a suitable hiking partner either. With the right hiking partner you can push your limits much farther and faster and learn alot faster, but when you return to hiking alone you have to be careful to know your own limitations, as you never learn or experience everything even on an epic trip with a great mentor. I learned to hike in basic training, which was excellent, but I still wasn't as prepared for solo hiking and camping as I thought I was. But the wrong hiking partner or group can be as dangerous or more dangerous than going solo. You have to know your partners limitations as well as your own, and they have to know their limitations as well as yours. It helps tremendously if you have known each other for awhile and have been through stuff together. So you have to extend your limits and boundaries in stages as you develop and learn as you go. Allow yourself some room to make mistakes, and suffer some mishaps, but make sure they are not fatal or tragic. You have to heed others, and be your own devil's advocate, then make your own choices.

You can learn a surprising amount of stuff, say 99-100%, well within your limitations and boundaries, or at least well within where you think your limitations and boundaries are. I like to do most of my hiking in places where I know I can find my way to safety if I get lost, even without a map. That way I can get myself lost more or less deliberately and get some experience in this regard. Also, when testing or pushing my physical limits, and/or the limits of my gear, I like to do that in a well controlled environment also. You can learn alot from planned failures, but they have to be well controlled, and you have to be aware of unplanned consequences. Most importantly you have to be aware that there will always be stuff you are unaware of. You have to be prepared to discover that you are unprepared. You only learn this through personal experience, and that is only of value if you live through it. You can learn an aweful lot in your own backyard. Do most of your learning and training and testing there. Over time your backyard will grow bigger.

JAK
06-04-2010, 06:06
Something to keep in mind also is that males in particular go through a reckless phase which I think peaks during the ages of 16-21. Personally I know I defied all laws of probability, mostly car driving, but also sailing, ice flow jumping, roof climbing, and some truly epic dayhikes without food or water. Perhaps also some unsafe sex, but that is a somewhat different category.

Anyhow, perhaps this is great for the species, at least in the past, as it provides a good population of willing warriors and explorers, and only a few lucky survivors are needed to propagate the species. This is not the best strategy for the individual however. So be aware of this inherent recklessness and wanderlust. Be adventurous, explore the world, but do not be a wreckless idiot. Keep in the back of your mind when making choices that you just might be needlessly trying to do yourself in.

earlyriser26
06-04-2010, 07:31
I attempted the wilderness when I was 16. Of course I tried it in early June and turned back after 10 miles (eaten alive by bugs). You seem to know what the AT is about with your hikes in PA, but the southern half of the wilderness may be a little more intense. Go for it, but as others have suggested go as late in the season as possible. I assume this will be late July /early august since you will still be in high school. late Sept. would be / earlerly Oct would be better. Plan an exit strategy. white House landing or other in case you need it. I hope to do this section in Oct.

emerald
06-04-2010, 13:58
October would be grand for someone who knows what to expect and is prepared. Earlier might be better for a 1st experience. It would likely be warmer and more NOBO through hikers would be present.

Ender
06-04-2010, 14:12
The Long Trail north of Sherburne Pass would be a better test and when you through hike you can become an End-to-Ender in the process.

I think this is a great idea. Plus, it would save the 100 mile wilderness, and seeing Katahdin for the first time, for your thru hike. And the Long Trail is gorgeous besides. Really worth considering.

emerald
06-04-2010, 14:32
Not only that you could celebrate becoming an End-to-Ender at the Inn at The Long Trail, maybe not as someone older might, but you would still be honoring a tradition in a most appropriate way.

James P. Taylor would be pleased. He thought one of the best places for young people is in the woods. If you don't know who James P. Taylor was you should and I could help you learn. I'll need to find and link my earlier offer later.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1013561&postcount=18 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1013561&postcount=18)
Click on the thread's title in the upper right to view the entire thread.

DavidNH
06-04-2010, 14:40
heck.. teens have sailed around the world and climbed to top of Mt Everest. Surely you can walk the 100 mile wilderness!

DavidNH
06-04-2010, 14:43
sorry.. didn't read your whole post. You are going solo.

You will need to carry a week's worth of food at a time in the 100 mile wilderness. Possibly this is the only part of the trial where this is the case. Plus, should something go wrong.. you are stuck where as on most other parts of the trail you are never very far from a town. PA is nothing compared to northern ME in terms of challenge.

You could do this if you really want to and you have some hiking experience. Personally, I don't think a few short trips in PA is enough to ready yourself for a solo 100 mile hike through the Maine Wilderness.

David

weary
06-04-2010, 17:07
I think this is a great idea. Plus, it would save the 100 mile wilderness, and seeing Katahdin for the first time, for your thru hike. And the Long Trail is gorgeous besides. Really worth considering.
Katahdin can stand more than one visit without diminishment. I've hiked the mountain dozens of times. Each visit has its own rewards.

I'm planning one more visit in early July. I'm not sad that I've already experienced the mountain. Just by the possibility it may be my last Katahdin experience.

No, I'm not about to collapse. But from what I read in the obituary pages, the 80s are a dangerous decade. I'll be glad when I reach 90 and start a decade when relatively few seem to die. Why in just this mornings paper, the obits of folks in their 80s outnumber those in their 90s 10 to one.

Weary

emerald
06-04-2010, 17:15
You will need to carry a week's worth of food at a time in the 100 mile wilderness. Possibly this is the only part of the trail where this is the case. Plus, should something go wrong... you are stuck where as on most other parts of the trail you are never very far from a town. PA is nothing compared to northern ME in terms of challenge.

You could do this if you really want to and you have some hiking experience. Personally, I don't think a few short trips in PA is enough to ready yourself for a solo 100 mile hike through the Maine Wilderness.

David

So your pack weighs 5 lbs. more! Should something go wrong, one is no more "stuck" in Maine than in Pennsylvania. Maybe you don't know how far A.T. hikers are from a Pennsylvania town in some locations or have never forded the Little Schuylkill River.