PDA

View Full Version : appropriate clothes for the weather?

se7enty
06-03-2010, 21:34
this is my first post here :D

i am going with 4 or 5 other people for a short trip to the Iron Mountain Gap to Hwy 19E area of the AT starting June 17th. it's hot in the eastern part of the state now (90+ degrees with humidity just as high), and i know the mountains are cooler, but i dont know what to expect as far as winds.

i was planning on taking zip off hiking pants, a couple of wicking synthetic short sleeve shirts, 1 wicking long sleeve shirt. do i need to be prepared for much cooler weather at night?

also, what are some good ideas for sleeping clothes? i'm female btw

JAK
06-03-2010, 21:58
I don't know that area. Is the hot humid weather also in full sun? That makes a huge difference also. For that stuff there is not much to do besides dress as cool as you can, slow down, and stay hydrated. Carrying less weight helps. I avoid skin layers and opt for a very loose top, like a running shirt, and hiking shorts, or better yet, running shorts. I like to keep my head and shoulders covered, and use sunblock for what isn't.

For cooler weather in summer I switch from the light loose running shirt to a light loose wool sweater. I might wear the running shirt OVER the wool sweater, like a semi-wool layer. I also carry a very light wind shell, and a poncho/tarp for heavy rain, and shelter. For legs hiking shorts are usually sufficient, and rather than full length wind or rain pants I just put that weight into some fleece pants or a lighter polyester skin layers. In summer, one or the other, not both.

daddytwosticks
06-04-2010, 07:38
You said your trip was short. Check the weather closely before heading out for late season cold-fronts that sometimes still come this far south. I'd hike in shorts and a tee shirt and take some light windpants, one long-sleeved shirt, a rain jacket (mostly for warmth) and a warm hat for extra clothes. Maybe some light insulation (100 wt fleece) if cooler weather predicted. You could alway crawl into your bag if cold. :)

bigcranky
06-04-2010, 10:33
What Daddytwosticks said. Shorts and a t-shirt for hiking. I like having dry shorts and a long sleeve light shirt to change into in camp. Rain shell for sudden cold-front thunderstorms and general use as a warm layer. Spare socks. I always bring a light hat and gloves.

If you are generally cold (like my lovely wife), then an insulating layer would be nice. I don't bring one in the summer in NC.

scope
06-04-2010, 10:51
Winds - the only time that will be a factor this time of year is when you're sitting around, either on a break during your hike or around camp before bed. A light windbreaker or fleece is good or just your rain jacket if you're taking one, and I would say that's all you need besides what you've said you're taking. I personally don't think you need hat or gloves.

For me, this time of year in the south, if I get chilled, its a thrill.

JJJ
06-04-2010, 11:08
I'm assuming the Iron Mt Gap south of the Roan Highlands.

Even if the weather said warm and clear, I'd be prepared for a mid-50s windy thunderstorm somewhere across the bald.
The highlands will likely feel better with a mid-weight layer fleece or something even on the typical breezy evening.
The air is just starting to thin at that elevation and doesn't hold as much warmth as say the 3600' ridge line north of there.
Sunccreen might be helpful too.

The Cleaner
06-04-2010, 14:47
Was at Carver's Gap in June years back.Partly cloudy&52 degrees at noon.It can be cool in that area any time.Prepare.Extra clothes are worth it if you don't like hypothermia....

daddytwosticks
06-04-2010, 15:27
About a hat...a warm beany-type hat weights what, 1-2 oz and compresses to the size of my fist? Good insurance even in August down south. :)

se7enty
06-06-2010, 12:49
thanks for all the replies! i think i will pack a couple of cooler weather items. the beanie is a great idea. i have some very lightweight (weight, not temp) thermals but i think they maybe be too warm. i've worn them under rain shell jack & pants in the snow in 30*...so yeah probably too warm.

in eastern NC, it's hot and humid this time of year regardless of full sun or shade. the mtns are a different story though, and i've never camped on balds before.

are rain shell pants worth the extra weight? also, what should i sleep in?

se7enty
06-06-2010, 12:51
oh, i guess it would be important to include info about my sleeping set up. it's a thermarest pad, fitted sheet, & thermarest tech blanket that snaps to the sheet. it's good down to 45-50ish.

BigFoot2002
06-06-2010, 14:50
When it's really hot, I like a cotton T shirt. Cotton doesn't keep you warm when it's wet.