PDA

View Full Version : Tishomingo SP Day Hike TR

STICK
06-03-2010, 22:18
I got out today and went on a small day hike to Tishomingo SP. It ended up being a nice day for a hike, but I had my doubts first thing this morning. Anyway, Tishomingo is the "foothills of the Appalachians" and it really is a beautiful place. I wish all the trails were kept up better than what they are, but oh well, it's all part of the fun.

Anyway, I wrote a TR and it has quite a few pics as well as a slide show. It can be read / viewed here:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/

Elder
06-03-2010, 23:07
Actually, geologically, Tishomingo is the last little outcrop of the Cumberland Plateau/ Lookout Mountain.
It is sandstome outcrops...the only "rock climbing" in Mississippi.
Cool place. :cool:

STICK
06-04-2010, 00:44
I did not know that, thanks for the info. All the reading I have done just acknowledges it as the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. Nonetheless, it is a beautiful place. Not as extravagant as on the AT, but it certainly has the same feel.

Sailing_Faith
07-24-2012, 02:33
Just spent a week in the area. What a pretty place!

I can also highly recommend the 'float trip' offered by the State Park. $30 gets you a canoe, and a shuttle for a nice downstream float.

I did not get to check out the trails, had a rather unfortunate experience with a really great rope swing out over the river..... learned that I am no longer 15 yet once again.... :rolleyes:

I will be going back up there, and hope to be able to report on the trails then.

MuddyWaters
07-24-2012, 04:53
Stayed there for a few days some years ago with wife and kids over Easter break. The cabins are really cool, made out of stone quarried there by the CCC. Walls, floor, etc, all stone. Clean, comfortable, NO TV, phone, radio, etc. Was my wifes favorite vacation ever actually, very relaxing, with airconditioning.

Did a few miles of the trails and I remember them being OK, some rocky overhangs with minor waterfalls, etc.