PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a ULA Circuit ?

trailangelbronco
06-04-2010, 00:29
I am thinking about getting one, but also like the Catalyst. Not sure that I need a Catalyst though, really big for summer hikes.

Anyways, was hoping to hear from someone who has a circuit. Do you like it? Big enough for week long summer trips?

Storm
06-04-2010, 00:37
I just purchased a Catalyst. I was actually surprised because it wasn't as big as I thought it would be. Have to remember that all the cubic inches aren't in the main compartment and that's where most of your gear will be.

skinewmexico
06-04-2010, 00:40
My Catalyst is so big I rarely use it. My Circuit is the perfect size though. I carry my rolled up tent in the side pocket.

trailangelbronco
06-04-2010, 00:55
Yeah, I'm also buying a Lightheart Duo tent and was thinking of carrying it in the Side pocket. Those pockets look HUGE!

I wrote ULA and the owner wrote me back himself within four hours and recommended the Circuit for my needs. Him writing me back so soon was enough to sell me. Made in the USA too, keeping money in our economy.

Grampsb
06-04-2010, 05:16
I purchase a Circuit a few months ago and really like it.

Jeff
06-04-2010, 05:47
Curcuit is all I need for 3 season backpacking. Have a Catalyst also for hiking the JMT with a bear cannister.

BrianLe
06-04-2010, 09:53
I was using a Gossamer Gear pack on my thru this year to start with, but I had a lot of miles on it already and when it was wearing out I replaced it some 700 miles into the trip with a ULA Circuit, that I've since carried 600+ miles on the trail.

Starting out on the trail early this year in lots of snow and blowdowns, the Circuit might have been a bit tight for me personally with a bigger sleeping bag at the time, down parka, just more and bulkier stuff. But one of my hiking companions at the time had a Circuit and it worked fine for him in those conditions. Now that I've got my bulk and baseweight tuned down to more spring/summer conditions, it's got plenty of capacity for me, and it's a great pack. Not the lightest option, but in general I find that ULA packs hit a pretty nice sweet spot between features/comfort and light weight.

I'm seriously thinking about a CDT thru-hike next year, and my inclination would be to fit everything I need for that in/on this same Circuit. But it all boils down to how much stuff a person feels they need to carry, plus to some small degree how they pack it.

Miner
06-04-2010, 15:53
I used a 2009 model ULA Circuit on my PCT Thru-hike last year. That was the year they added an alum. stay as an option in addition to the regular suspension hoop. It was more then big enough to go 10days without a resupply carrying a bearcan and still had some room left. But for the record, for most of the hike I found it too large for my gear; I bought it for its weight handling ability over a frameless pack that I normally use. I use to have a 2008 Catalyst, but I never used it and replaced it with the Circuit for my hike. The Catalyst was too big for my gear as I felt like I could double everything up and still fit it.

The most I've had in my circuit is 42lbs and it handled it without very much stress on the shoulders. I think it really depends on what gear you own whether or not it will work for you.

trailangelbronco
06-04-2010, 17:22
Alot of people have told me that the Circuit is too big. Damn, the Catalyst must be freakin HUGE! I'm also looking at the OHM.

Miner
06-04-2010, 18:05
Alot of people have told me that the Circuit is too big. Damn, the Catalyst must be freakin HUGE! I'm also looking at the OHM.

As I said, it depends on your gear. I know people who use a Catalyst and they manage to fill it all up. The Ohm is a good choice if you don't need to carry 30+ lbs with any frequency as it still has a frame of sorts. It's a definite improvement over a frameless pack in how it carries above mid 20s lbs.

Ladytrekker
06-04-2010, 19:02
I bought a ULA Circuit this year and am happy with it. I can get quite a bit in the side pockets. What is nice now is that the optional items are now standard on the packs that was a nice addition. I really like the roll top closure.

Raul Perez
06-05-2010, 12:40
Just used the circuit on a 6 day trip. Perfect for my needs and held everything.

The main compartment is about 40 liters

skinewmexico
06-06-2010, 00:40
I wrote ULA and the owner wrote me back himself within four hours and recommended the Circuit for my needs. Him writing me back so soon was enough to sell me. Made in the USA too, keeping money in our economy.

I emailed ULA with a question about the fit on my Circuit, and Casey @ ULA called me at home to help me out. Got my phone number off my order. Henry @ Tarptent is pretty famous for the same kind of service.

Strategic
06-07-2010, 17:38
Stick with the Circuit. I just got mine at the beginning of this season and have been more than pleased with it. It's got plenty of room (I'd thru-hike with it, but I'm very close to an ultralight hiker) and is the best built pack I've seen in a while. It also has a great suspension system. To top that off, it's several ounces lighter than any even remotely comparable pack. The ULA folks are great, too. I've had one of their old H2OAmigos for several years and they were very good at helping me refit it when the old filter elements were no longer available.

Go for the Circuit, you'll be glad you did.

English Stu
06-09-2010, 14:57
I used the Circuit on the JMT the Garcia bear barrel fitted horizontally in the top of the bag

stranger
06-12-2010, 07:54
I have a Circuit and it's plenty big for long distance hiking, especially in summer. It's difficult to tell if a pack's big enough because so much of that depends on you, not the pack or weather. Generally speaking, the more experienced someone is, the less they take...but not always. Also, even if I was out for just a week, I wouldn't carry 7 days worth of food, I would resupply along the way.

The only thing I would say about ULA is that their shoulder straps are second rate in my opinion, the cut is poor and if they could learn a thing or two from Osprey or Gregory on how to cut a shoulder harness (as well as better compression and they also need to learn how to bend a stay), they would be one of the best packs out there. Until then, they are lacking in some key areas IMO. The frustrating thing is that these areas are not hard to correct.

But they are probably the best 'light' pack out there, incredibly simple, efficient and great customer service. A Circuit with a stay is still only 38 ounces in a medium, that's pretty light considering the suspension it has.

mak52580
07-23-2010, 04:10
It all depends on your style of hiking. I got a ULA Circuit last year and although I love it, it is typically WAY too big for my needs. I have gotten my gear down to about a 12 lb. baseweight for 3-season so I recently purchase an Ohm. The Circuit will still stay in my collection for winter since it can easily fit all my extra insulation.

Grampsb
07-23-2010, 04:46
I have a Cirucit and love it

mtnkngxt
07-23-2010, 06:49
Had one got rid of it. Shoulder straps lack function or comfort.

Switched to a Mariposa Plus.

ETA I do have a ULA CDT that I use for overnight or weekend hikes, and I love it. Just not a fan of the shoulder straps on the Catalyst and Circuit.

rasudduth
07-23-2010, 19:50
Circuit for half of the PCT last year, the part where you carry a bear canister. Perfect sized pack.

Miner
07-24-2010, 23:01
I used a Circuit for the entire PCT in 2009. At times it was too big, but there were a few times (10day food carry with bear can) where I was glad I had it. I found it comfortable to carry. I normally use a 2007 ULA Conduit (now the CDT) for most of my backpacking up to 6days. But for longer hikes and when I need to carry a bear can, the Circuit works well for me.

RayBan
08-02-2010, 09:35
As I said, it depends on your gear. I know people who use a Catalyst and they manage to fill it all up. The Ohm is a good choice if you don't need to carry 30+ lbs with any frequency as it still has a frame of sorts. It's a definite improvement over a frameless pack in how it carries above mid 20s lbs.

My experience accords with this; I would go with a Circuit in colder weather only because of the additional bulk of gear (primarily sleeping bag, although my 30 degree bag fit fine in my Ohm with 4 days food).

STICK
12-19-2010, 01:49
I just ordered a Circuit! I can't wait to get it. I should have it before Christmas, but it will still be a long wait...

I am upgrading to the Circuit from a 5 lb 10 oz Kelty Red CLoud 5600. Big savings there.

Don H
12-19-2010, 09:09
A question for those of you who use the Circuit and carry a tent. Where or how do you carry it? Some have mentioned rolled and in a side pocket. Doesn't that throw the balance of the pack off center? I have the Circuit and would like to buy a TT Moment but with the struts are fixed in the tent body so it has to be rolled to 4"X21" roll.

BrianLe
12-19-2010, 10:05
"Doesn't that throw the balance of the pack off center?"

No. Seems to me it would have to be a pretty heavy tent for that to be noticeable. Note also that there are pockets on both sides, you're going to have something on the other side to offset at least to some degree.

The bigger potential concern for you is that the side pockets aren't high, so you would have to either fit the tent under the strap that's higher up or otherwise secure it higher up somehow. Shouldn't be a big problem, but I do admit that I liked the deeper pockets on my Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus for carrying a tent.

Don H
12-19-2010, 10:14
Currently I carry the pole for my TT Rainbow wrapped in a Tyvec ground cloth in one side pocket and I use the upper strap to hold it in place. I guess I could put the Moment's poles and groundcloth on one side and tent body with struts on the other. This would free up a lot of room inside the pack and keep a wet tent away from my other gear. I just might have to buy a new tent!

Johnny Thunder
12-19-2010, 10:42
i keep my rainbow vertically on one side (internally) if it's dry or verically on the outside if it's wet. once it's dry i work it back inside. i don't use stuff sacks for most of my gear so it's easy to slide the pack liner out of the way and shove the tent down the side. most of the gear has the same density to i never notice the pack riding off kilter (tent in or out).

skinewmexico
12-19-2010, 14:00
A water bottle in the opposite pocket balances the Moment nicely.

wrongway_08
12-19-2010, 15:48
I used the circuit for my A.T. thru. Most of it anyways.

Plenty of room, even with the larger tent and extras I had to carry for the dog. If anything its a bit big.

I stuff my tent in the bottom of the pack, the poles get carried on the side.

Don H
12-19-2010, 16:31
Thanks everyone for the input. Wrongway, that's what I do now with my Rainbow, but the Moment has the 18" struts sewn in the ends so you can't stuff it.