PDA

View Full Version : Dumb newbie fuel canister question

Bucherm
06-04-2010, 00:39
Since I've gotten back into hiking I've been using the positively ancient Coleman canister stove that had been sitting in my old scout stuff box at my parents' house. While accepable for overnighters(or even weekenders) I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a modern canister stove for my section hike through the SNP in the spring. The old stove was bought sometime in the early '90s(at least) and looks like half a burner from a old 2-burner "desk" stove was just slapped on, so anything would be an improvement. On to the dumb question(s).

I've had my eye on the Brunton Raptor, which is billed as a butane stove. I'm guessing it can also use IsoButane. Do all fuel canisters have a industry standard threading(as in, can I use this stove on a gigapower canister?)? For some gormless reason none of the outfitters near me(REI, Dick's, HTO) seem to actually have Brunton canisters, and I don't want to buy something that I'll have to go off and drive a ways to find a canister, or order them online.

Thanks!

snaplok
06-04-2010, 01:25
I have never seen the elusive Brunton canisters either. I think they might have gone the way of the Dodo. And yes there is really only one threaded canister type except the ones in Europe that are threadless.

chiefiepoo
06-04-2010, 01:52
Think about possible air travel too. No canisters allowed on a/c, ever. Most manufacturers seem to specify " use only with" their branded canister. I often fly or amtrak to a destination and buy from a local retailer so having an MSR unit is usually no problem in finding near or on the trail. As with all brands , MSR has + and- . Coleman used to have a unique fitting for some stoves. Don't know about that now though

Mags
06-04-2010, 08:53
Modern canisters stoves (all roughly 3 oz ) are interchangeable with the isobutane canisters. Jetboil, SnoPeak, Coleman, Pocketrocket, etc. also use the Lindal style valve. (http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm#Canister)
Also see http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm#Interchange
(http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm#Canister)
Long story short? The ~$5/$8 4oz/8oz canisters can be used on pretty much any canister stoves now sold in general outdoors stores. (As always, there are a few oddities.)

Based on the photo, looks like the Brunton stove has this same style valve. Hell, online it is about the same price as the other stoves, too. :)

As an aside, most of the canister stoves are all functionally the same. The Jetboil is a bit fancier (and heavier/more expensive), but otherwise they pretty much all have the same specs. The Brunton does look a smidge heavier than the more popular SnoPeak/Coleman/MSR ones (5 vs 3 oz), so that may or may not affect your decision.

Good luck in getting back into backpacking! It is fun! :)

FWIW, I started backpacking with the same heavy canister stove. It did get me out in the mountains...and I still use it for truck camping. :)

bigcranky
06-04-2010, 10:30
I own a Raptor. Nice little stove. The wide pot supports will hold anything from a 450ml mug to a 2-liter pot. It takes any of the widely available fuel canisters from MSR, Snow Peak, Jetboil, etc. (As Mags said, there are some oddities. Be aware.)

Now we are using the Coleman F1 Ultralight (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85280), which is a couple of ounces lighter and significantly more usable in a light breeze. With the Raptor and the other canister stoves that we own, a very slight breeze is enough to greatly reduce the heat going to the pot. The F1 Ultralight is for whatever reason less susceptible to this problem. (Stoves like the Jetboil with the integrated heat exchanger are even more wind-resistant, but the overall package is heavier. You could also make a wind screen for a stove, but there is some small danger of overheating the fuel canister and blowing it up.)

Cherokee Bill
09-14-2010, 19:37
;) Just ordered a Raptor, last nite, after much research :-?

Appalachian Tater
09-14-2010, 19:38
Why not just use an alcohol stove?

tuswm
09-16-2010, 00:01

"I cant decide what high preference sports car to buy, a corvette or a Porsche."

"what about a corolla or a smart car?"

red dawg
09-16-2010, 11:41
Yeah, or wood burning? LOL!

Toolshed
09-16-2010, 13:07
My Brunton canisters (Grey/Orange) match threads with Coleman and MSR....

sheepdog
09-16-2010, 13:29
"I cant decide what high preference sports car to buy, a corvette or a Porsche."

"what about a corolla or a smart car?"
hahahahahaha good one

Old Hiker
09-16-2010, 13:43
I have both MSR Pocket Rocket and the look-alike Wal-Mart carried Coleman stoves. I've noticed that some of the MSR canisters will NOT fuel the Coleman stoves. This is not every one, just some. I'm not sure why.

Aside: ask someone with access to a military BX for Brunton canisters - they have started carrying them at the MacDill AFB BX - 8 (EIGHT!) ozs for $4.99, same price as a 4 oz elsewhere. They work with both of my stoves.

Panzer1
09-16-2010, 13:59
I found this nice video on YouTube for the Brunton Raptor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce20KA0e6og

Panzer

tuswm
09-16-2010, 14:20
I have used lots of different stoves and this video from spadout.com summed up what I thought about the raptor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkfCFZOWG4&feature=related

skinewmexico
09-16-2010, 18:13
I wish I could find my F1, that is such a great stove.

Bucherm
09-28-2010, 04:39
Aside: ask someone with access to a military BX for Brunton canisters - they have started carrying them at the MacDill AFB BX - 8 (EIGHT!) ozs for $4.99, same price as a 4 oz elsewhere. They work with both of my stoves.

Didn't think about that, my Scumbag Contractor CAC says "Unlimited Exchange" on it.

Funnily enough, I did see Brunton canisters for $6.80(!) at Big Meadows last weekend. The little Snowpeak canisters I've been using seem to be working just fine, I don't feel a need to go out and try track down Bruntane canisters.