PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in Ct.

lysol
06-04-2010, 11:38
Planning on a five day section hike at or around Salisbury, Ct. starting Sunday. My buddy just got back from the Whites and said he'd gotten killed by the black flies. Anybody know if those little buggers are as far south as Ct. this time of year?

My tail is already wagging and Sunday can't get here soon enough! Thanks in advance for any info.

wilconow
06-04-2010, 12:03
I did a day hike out of Salisbury last weekend and for the most part there was no bug problem. I stopped for a bit for lunch and there were some mosquitoes, but it wasn't a big deal

Tin Man
06-04-2010, 23:00
we don't allow black flies in ct

sasquatch2014
06-04-2010, 23:54
Put deet on your hands than then just smack the bastards! More mosquitoes than anything esp near the Shae's Rebellion area

Blue Jay
06-06-2010, 06:54
we don't allow black flies in ct

This is correct. Whenever they try to sneak down from Mass. teams of slappers are always stationed in Sages Revine.

Old Grouse
06-06-2010, 11:29
This is correct. Whenever they try to sneak down from Mass. teams of slappers are always stationed in Sages Revine.

Including Rip Torn, ready to slap leather. In fact he was in the bank in Sharon that night checking out a rumor of a black fly infestation.

copythat
06-14-2010, 20:58
I lived on the Conn/Mass line (Northwest Corner of Conn.) through a round of seasons and the only seasonal pests we had were leaf peepers who'd drive 4 1/2 mph straddling the center line. No black flies.

10-K
06-15-2010, 05:12
I've only had bug problems one time between NY and where I'm at in ME right now and that was in VT just before the Long Trail and the AT split. Mosquitoes literally chased me in my tent. Other than that, no bug problem at all.

lysol
06-15-2010, 19:16
Thanks for the info. There were few bugs; we lucked out with cool temps and a fairly robust breeze most of the trip. I could see where the mosquitoes could be nasty coming through southern MA. Lots of low-water terrain.