PDA

View Full Version : Best section for 9 year old's first big hike?

wrass
06-04-2010, 17:19
I am planning on doing a 4 day hike with my 9 year old son. I have no goal for miles, just a good time with the boy. This will be our first big hike, but have the gear we need and our pack weights should be fine. The requirements are:
1. close to a town with something for the wife and daughter to do for a while, or driving distance to such area
2. south of Big Bald
3. good views and camping spots off of the beaten path
4. no crowds ( I am not a people person and just want to walk)

Gatlinburg is the obvious choice for the wife and daughter but I prefer to hike without running into a crowd. I would like to know what to expect from GSMNP. Is his the spot or is there another section where hiking is much better.

Uncle Cranky
06-04-2010, 19:28
If being on the AT is not a priority consider the Shining Rock Wilderness south west of Asheville, NC. The city is a very nice small arts oriented community situated in the western Highlands region of the state. Asheville is also famous for the Biltemore Estate, George Vanderbilt's incredible mansion and grounds that is open to the public (at a fee). Being located in the mountains there are also near by scenic drives, especially on the Blue Ridge Parkway that skirts south of town. Check out the web for other things to see and do in this scenic area of NC. The easiest access to the Shining Rock Wilderness is heading west, about 30-40 minutes, on the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Asheville. Just past mile post 420 take a right onto the paved Forest Service Road #816 that will take you to parking and access to the southern trail heads. There is also a good pit toilet and camping in a pine grove just off the parking lot. At the far end of the parking lot is a gated FS gravel road that leads to a spring situated to the right about a 100 yrs. The best maps of the area are the National Geographic Series #780 Pishgah Ranger District and the USFS Shining Rock & Middle Prong Wilderness (Pishgah National Forest). The real challenge is the Art Loab Trail that follows along the crest of a series of heath balds over 600' with spectacular views but this might be difficult for your kid. An easy option is to follow the road mentioned before that leads to the spring. It use to be the bed of a timber RR and is an easy though rocky hike (FS#101, Ivestor Gap Trail) that leads to Ivestor Gap about 3 miles from the parking lot. You'll know your there when you come to the brown FS "Shining Rock Wilderness" sign and the great open views. If you think your up to it you can pick up the Art Loab Trail here and head south to the top of Tennent mountain, a fairly steep 1 mile climb to 360 deg. views. But, if you stay on #101 north you reach Shining Rock in about 4 miles. Keep an eye open because there are a lot of side trails as you get to Shining Rock but more great views. On your drive in, or out on the Parkway make a point to stop and take a hike to see the water falls near the Graveyards Field overlook, you'll be glad you did!! Also, you might want to consider taking a side trip with your family to see MT. Mitchell about 40 min. drive north of Asheville on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's the highest peak east of the Mississippi and there is a paved road that takes you to the summit for some great views, a wonderful picnic area and some good hiking trails too. By the way I might be a booster for my adopted state but I'm not being paid to do it!!

Kerosene
06-04-2010, 21:41
If you're looking to hike the AT, then the section from Massey Gap to Damascus in southern Virginia in June or September would be my recommendation. Great vistas, differing trail, limited elevation change, generally downhill to Damascus, and wild ponies which are sure to be a draw to a youngster. That's where I was going to introduce my daughter, but unfortunately that hike didn't pan out for us.

Uncle Cranky
06-05-2010, 19:40
Kerosene has picked a wonderful place for hiking but the Damascus/Abington area, as I remember, is more geared to outdoor activities and in VA. I've hiked the area 9 years in a row with two different Scout troops and Graysons Highland State Park with my family to see the ponies and do some day hiking. A great trip for the whole family to do is rent bikes in Damascus and have the outfitter shuttle you to White Top Station and bike back into town. It's a wonderful 17 mile downhill ride through the highlands on a rails-to-trail cinder muti-use path that crosses many wooden bridges over mountain streams and through rhodiy, pine and hardwood stands and can be done in an afternoon. Perhaps some of the Damascus locals on this forum can pipe up and inform you of other activities in the area that your wife & daughter can occupy themselves with if they don't want to do the outdoor stuff.
My bet is still on Asheville!!

bigcranky
06-05-2010, 20:24
South of Big Bald? Hike from Hot Springs south to Davenport Gap. You'll go over Max Patch, which is a great bald. Your family can stay in Asheville, NC, which is a *terrific* small mountain city. Art galleries, great restaurants, nice B&B's and small inns, etc. It's an easy shuttle for them to drop you in Hot Springs and pick you up at Davenport Gap.

ASUGrad
06-07-2010, 10:48
Burke's Garden to Pearisburg is pretty easy and your family can head to Blacksburg/Roanoke.

4 days is rather ambitious though.

jesse
06-07-2010, 11:38
4 days is rather ambitious though.

I agree. Kids are easily bored. Have you gone on shorter 2-3 day hikes? Was he disappointed to be having to get off the trail and go home after only 3 days?

wrass
06-09-2010, 13:33
We've done a two day on mild to moderate terain. He enjoyed most of it. We had to hump the last 2 miles to make the pickup point on time. That was a little more than I wanted at that point in the day. Everything else was great. He is not a video game/i-pod kid. As long as I don't run out of things to teach/show him on the first day, we will be fine. I don't have a real mileage goal so we can stop and mill around if need be.

Uncle Cranky
06-09-2010, 17:14
I've been involved in Scouting for over 25 years as a youth and and adult. Your kid is Cub Scout age and my experience with that age kid is ALWAYS have something to do before they gets into something YOU don't want them to do!!. The trick is to over plan...as soon as something isn't working move on to something that does. Keep a mental log of what the kid is interested in and plan around it as you continue to offer new experiences to test. The best way to hold their interest is to instruct in a wide assortment of outdoor skills. Demonstrate a skill first then let the kid DO while you coach, reteach if necessary and continue to coach as they master the skills. Don't be looking to make big miles unless the kid is up to a challenge and even then let him set the goals (your knowledge will determine if the goals are over ambitious) and pace. Don't forget to offer sincere praise for goals accomplished. Fire and cooking skills are always something that kids get into. Don't leave out the campfire at night and "be prepared" with a good story or two before you hit the sack, they don't have to be scary, a well told story of your past outdoor experiences sets the stage for future adventures.

Kerosene
06-09-2010, 18:42
I agree. Kids are easily bored. Have you gone on shorter 2-3 day hikes? Was he disappointed to be having to get off the trail and go home after only 3 days?Listen to Jesse, he's been doing this awhile with his son, who looks like he is the one pushing the pace.