PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap overnight parking?

Peanut
06-04-2010, 20:45
Hey everyone! Was wondering if it was allowed/safe to leave a car here overnight? Thanks!

SmokyMtn Hiker
06-04-2010, 21:39
It is allowed and overall about as safe as I guess as any parking/ trailhead. There is an occasions where where people, ie SCUM BAGS target trailheads along Newfound Gap Rd. but park rangers patrol the road reguarly so I would park there if needed.

Peanut
06-04-2010, 21:43
Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it!!

Doctari
06-04-2010, 21:46
I have parked there twice: first time for 13 days, 2nd time for 5 with no trouble at all. As stated, the rangers patrol often, plus that is a very busy area, kind of hard to do evil with so many people around, at least during daylight hrs it is busy.

Hikes in Rain
06-05-2010, 09:32
More of the same: parked there for four days with no issue. That was in November, when it was danged cold and not so crowded.

Ramble~On
06-05-2010, 11:25
I've never had a problem parking at Newfound. Bears have broken into cars that had food in them and dirtballs have broken into cars in the park. It's a rare thing but it does happen. Newfound Gap is a large parking area on the main road through the park. It's a well used area, regularly patrolled and I'd rather leave my car there than any other parking area in GSMNP.

curtisvowen
06-05-2010, 11:49
We had 6 cars broken into up there maybe 2 years ago.....might have been bears?, but who knows. It's safe.

Ox97GaMe
06-06-2010, 19:35
I park there quite regularly when I am doing maintenance trips in the area. Have never had any problems. I have only heard of a few actual incidences that have occurred there. As with any trailhead parking, take precautions such as hiding any valuables out of view and make sure the vehicle is locked.