PDA

View Full Version : month long section hike next spring/summer

Joy
06-04-2010, 23:47
So, I was planning on doing a thru-hike next year but it's just not going to be doable. On the happy side of things a one month section hike is just right and all my crazed AT talk has inspired some friends to do a section hike with me.

I'm the only one who's spent any signifigant (1 week in the ocala national forest) time in the woods and apparently that makes me the authority.

We've debated just starting at Springer and seeing how far we get or going to trail days and hiking north or south from there. It's a while away but we'd like to nail it down soon.

I've never hiked on the AT so i'm not all that familiar about the varying sections. We're looking for something with a good amount of a chalenge, good re-supply options, and pretty views.

ALL of that so I can ask this one question:

What's your favorite 1 month section of the trail? Why? What would you rate the degree of difficulty as?

Ok three questions.:)

Thank you so much for reading through all that crap and I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

emerald
06-05-2010, 00:03
My favorite 1-month section is May anywhere south of Vermont. It's when many of my favorite plants bloom and neotropical migrant birds return. The hiking is as easy or as challenging as you desire, but flying would be even more fun!

Check out some of my threads (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=8247502) and links.

Cookerhiker
06-05-2010, 08:12
I agree with Emerald that May is a great one-month timeframe to hike for weather (not too hot yet, no longer cold). A nice 1 month stretch would be between Franklin (US 64) and Damascus. At 354 miles, you'd average about 12 miles per day for a month. Since you and your group haven't hiked a lot, I recommend hiking this stretch southbound so you won't face much serious ups and downs in the first 3-4 days. And if you hike at a stronger pace and find yourselves at 64 a few days early, continue on to Dicks Creek Gap (US 76), the first road crossing in GA 30 miles ahead.

Another option for May is to start at Damascus and hike north to Rockfish Gap (or the same stretch southbound) - a distance of 390 miles.

If you're hiking in summer, start at the last road crossing in MA (MA 2) around August 1 or late July and hike to Gorham, NH. While a tad less than 300 miles, you'll probably hike a slower pace in parts of VT and the New Hampshire White Mts. Definitely hike this northbound to get yourself in shape for the ruggedness of the Whites which are spectacular. Bring bug repellant.

Happy Trails!

spyderman654
06-05-2010, 15:16
Neels Gap (Mountain Crossings) to Hot Springs is a good section.

How long it will take depends upon fitness, weather, and zero's...

but it is about 230 miles.

I like Fall the best. The leaves are changing, the weather is getting cool, the bugs are disappearing. Its a great time of year.

You will not have much traffic if northbounding so it is best to go in a group if you are not a fan of solitude.

Joy
06-08-2010, 14:33
Thanks for your reply's I really appreciate it!