PDA

View Full Version : Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Pickleodeon
06-05-2010, 10:52
Anyone have experience with Rhodesian Ridgebacks? I saw them on Animal Planet, and they look like they'd be awesome trail dogs, and just awesome dogs all around. They're really healthy, muscular dogs, don't have very many health problems. They were bred from wild dogs in South Africa to hunt lions and they do well in high temperatures.

I'd need to do some more research on them, and I need a house/yard first, but has anyone had one or had experience with em? They're beautiful dogs.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:jUOgPoPEnHczzM:http://lostinelegantcogitations.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/rhodesian_ridgeback_h02.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://lostinelegantcogitations.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/rhodesian_ridgeback_h02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://lostinelegantcogitations.wordpress.com/2008/12/14/back-in-the-day/&usg=__wiJk2cFN_pShmm_cNHxEZfb5_kE=&h=393&w=400&sz=69&hl=en&start=2&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=jUOgPoPEnHczzM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drhodesian%2Bridgeback%26um%3D1%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26tbs%3Disch:1)

Feral Bill
06-05-2010, 11:04
As with most dog breeds, I would be suspicoius of the "facts" of their origins. That's probably not known and the stories based on legend. Still, It is a nice looking dog. What's the word on their temperment?

JAK
06-05-2010, 11:07
They make good shelter dogs.

Hikes in Rain
06-05-2010, 11:17
Only problem I would see is they might want to bring a bear back to play with it, then want to keep it.

Pickleodeon
06-05-2010, 11:25
The background on em was on Dogs 101 on Animal planet.. I'm pretty sure they do their homework on researching the dogs.

wcgornto
06-05-2010, 11:27
I did some volcano hiking with a guide company in Guatemala. The owner has a Rhodesian Ridgeback (perhaps the breed should now be called Zimbabwean Ridgeback?). This dog has a wonderful temperament and often goes on day hikes and overnight hikes with the guides and clients. I don't know if this one dog reflects the whole breed, but if it does, it seems to me to be a great hiking breed.

Phreak
06-05-2010, 11:30
I've trained many RR over the years. They have the potential for being a great trail dog tho they do require a strong owner. Definitely not a breed for a first-time dog owner.

They should be socialized starting at a young age to prevent aggressive/territorial behavior as adults.

They require vigorous daily exercise.

Have a strong tendency to chase animals, so a lot of training will be needed for hiking and backpacking.

Have a tendency to be aggressive and dominant towards other dogs especially those of the same sex.

Puppy
06-05-2010, 12:41
A friend of mine had a couple of Ridgebacks. Very good looking and nice dogs. She said that she went backpacking with them several times.

Only thing is those two dogs would always try and herd my lab mix into the corner of her yard non-stop. It was like a job or something to them. So much so that my dog would give up and would just hide in the corner.

Raul Perez
06-05-2010, 13:22
My aunt had them all my life. Great farm dog and great guard dog. I would see them as good trail dogs in 3 season hiking.

hellomolly
06-05-2010, 15:07
excellent dog, but as someone mentioned, not a "starter" dog. healthy, good at going to distance hiking-wise, and generally a good temperment. should obviously be socialized at an early age, but that's a given. as mentioned they can be head strong and require an experienced owner, and have a high prey-drive. also since they're so fit they obviously need a great deal of exercise to be kept health and happy. of course i could never in right conscience say that i would approve of purchasing a purebred when there are millions of wonderful, equally as capable dogs in shelters across the country... but that's a discussion for another day!

Phreak
06-05-2010, 15:14
of course i could never in right conscience say that i would approve of purchasing a purebred when there are millions of wonderful, equally as capable dogs in shelters across the country... but that's a discussion for another day!
Agreed. I have a beagle/ridgeback mix that is a rescue.

Pedaling Fool
06-05-2010, 15:32
They are very fast for their size, I saw one catch a squirrel.

Also they're great for retrieving golf balls.

skinewmexico
06-06-2010, 00:37
My BIL had one, it was a great dog, once it knew you were someone OK. It would sure watch you until then, but never displayed any unnecessary aggression.

K2
06-06-2010, 04:14
Here's a site for information on and rescue of Rhodesian Ridgebacks: http://www.ridgebackrescue.org/

You know, rescue organizations are always in need of foster homes. Maybe you can try fostering one to see if this is the breed for you. K2

WILLIAM HAYES
06-06-2010, 17:42
I did a southbound section once and one took up with us and hiked with us until Neals Gap-cool dog he caught several ground squirrels by bouncing on the end of a log until a ground squirrel ran out the other end then he would nail them I was going to adopt him but he took up with some other hikers and left before I could -really a beautiful dog with a great disposition

randyg45
06-06-2010, 23:46
I've owned several RRs and bred several litters over the years; they are my favorite breed. I agree generally with the above posts written by those with Rhodie experience. I don't remember if anyone has mentioned their tremendous endurance. While their quickness has been highlighted, no one has mentioned that attribute as regards fighting. When you are bred to bay up lions (as they in fact were), you don't have much of a chance to pass on your genes unless you are beyound amaingly quick. It's a long story, but one of my dogs was attacked by a pit bull. The bull was simply unable to lay a fang on him and suffered for it; he lived only because my dog had no interest in killing him and thus let me separate them when I arrived.
There is no doubt in my mind that a Rhodie could harass/run off a troublesome black bear in relative safety.
One of the pups I sold went to a man who said he had a devil of a time breaking the dog from running deer. The dog eventually started just pointing them, thus becoming a unique resource for hunting deer. They are almost uniquely adaptable- I've known a man who kept one with his black-and-tans just to run with the pack and deal with the occasional coon caught on the ground. Rhodies are usually thought of as sight hounds with decent noses, but they are also web-footed; they have been used by duck hunters...
As has been said before, your main problem probably would be breaking one from running game- deer, bear, hogs, whatever. It never bothered me to let mine chase/kill the occasional rabbit and such.

dgever
06-08-2010, 19:29
These are wonderful dogs. Many have commented on their superb athleticism, which is simply amazing. However in my opinion the thing that makes a RR perfect for hiking is their personality. The RR is often described as aloof with strangers, this does not mean that they are hostile just not interested in you. Other members have made it painfully clear that they don't appreciate having dogs on the trail, so having a dog who is inclined to ignore strangers is a blessing.

dgever
06-08-2010, 19:32
I cant believe that I left this out. Having a dog that has tons of energy on the trail is great, but not so much once you get back to your apartment. RR have two modes stop and go. They are more than content to sleep all day in the house when you cant get them out.