PDA

View Full Version : Starting at Mt. Katahdin

joec
06-05-2010, 13:28
I want to take my wife with me on a couple day hike, and would like to start on Mt. Katahdin. How close can you get to the top by shuttle or parking lot. My wife hates to climb, so I thought we could start as close to the top as possible and hike down. For a 15-20 mile hike, where would be a logical stopping point. Any help about parking, shuttles etc would be appreciated. We would be doing this hike in late August or early Sept.

M1 Thumb
06-05-2010, 15:25
I want to take my wife with me on a couple day hike, and would like to start on Mt. Katahdin. How close can you get to the top by shuttle or parking lot. My wife hates to climb, so I thought we could start as close to the top as possible and hike down. For a 15-20 mile hike, where would be a logical stopping point. Any help about parking, shuttles etc would be appreciated. We would be doing this hike in late August or early Sept.

There is no driving near the top and hiking down. You can start at the base and hike up and then hike back down but from what you have stated, your wife isn't going to enjoy it. You can check Baxter State Park's website for more info. You may want to make a reservation for parking unless you plan on having someone shuttle you in.

Shutterbug
06-05-2010, 17:15

The closet thing to what you describe would be to start at the Katahdin Stream Camp and hike south on the AT to the Abol Bridge on the Golden Road, the southern boundry of Baxter State Park. That would be 7.6 miles (if I remember correctly). If you continue south from there, you will enter the 100 Mile Wilderness.

Wrangler88
06-05-2010, 18:23
If she really does "hate" to climb, Katahdin wouldn't be for her. The thing is a beast to climb. Definitely the hardest mountain I've climbed. If she really doesn't like it, I'd just go with what Shutterbug mentioned. The hiking is pretty easy heading south from Katahdin Stream.

peakbagger
06-06-2010, 08:17
Forget climbing the mountain with her as there is no easy way up or down. It all involves a 4000 foot elevation gain and loss. The hike from Katahdin Steam to Abol bridge is a gently sloping downhill route with some nice waterfalls and a great walk along the river. The hassle would be you would need a shuttle or someone to car spot.

Pedaling Fool
06-06-2010, 08:26
Stay far, far away from Katahdin. This is the hardest climb of the 2,175 miles of the AT. There's no route you can take that does not include rock scrambling.

DavidNH
06-06-2010, 09:57
Did you actually think you could drive up this mountain? It ain't Mt Washington. I am trying hard not to laugh here. Baxter is a wilderness park. You go up Katahdin on foot or not at all. Don't even think of taking your wife up Katahdin since she hates climbing.

Here's my suggestion. get a couple nights reserved at Katahdin Stream Campground. You hike up and down Katahdin on your own (without your wife who hates climbing). that will take you a full day, round trip it is 10 very rugged miles. Next day your wife can accompany you through the park and, if she is a hiker, as far as Abol Bridge. That's about 10 miles.

From Abol bridge campground you would park company because from here you enter the 10 mile wilderness.

David

warraghiyagey
06-06-2010, 10:02
Dang, I thought it was 100 miles. . . .

Jester2000
06-06-2010, 10:35
Dang, I thought it was 100 miles. . . .

Well, it used to be. Now it's a series of ten 10-mile wildernesses.

emerald
06-06-2010, 11:44
New regulations required it to be broken down into more manageable units for those unable to do so themselves. Various proposals were offered up to make the wilderness more accessible to these individuals including converting to the metric system, but, since it was determined many are hard-pressed to divide by 10, it was thought best to stick with miles and do the math for them.

joec
06-06-2010, 16:37
Did you actually think you could drive up this mountain? It ain't Mt Washington. I am trying hard not to laugh here. Baxter is a wilderness park. You go up Katahdin on foot or not at all. Don't even think of taking your wife up Katahdin since she hates climbing.

Here's my suggestion. get a couple nights reserved at Katahdin Stream Campground. You hike up and down Katahdin on your own (without your wife who hates climbing). that will take you a full day, round trip it is 10 very rugged miles. Next day your wife can accompany you through the park and, if she is a hiker, as far as Abol Bridge. That's about 10 miles.

From Abol bridge campground you would park company because from here you enter the 10 mile wilderness.

David

I did not think anything, on way or the other. The reason for my post was to find out how close to the top you could get by car. If I had been there before, I wouldn't need to ask any questions. We will do the easier hike, now that I know the limitations.

emerald
06-06-2010, 16:46
Sights seen near the the base of Katahdin are spectacular and more impressive than when viewed from Baxter Peak. One can see a long way from the top, but most things seen are quite distant and small. It's a good vantage point, but anyone who expects to get a good look at something may want to bring a telescope.

If someone doesn't post or link some images within the next few hours, I'll post some. There are quite a few in our Katahdin gallery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=574).

rickb
06-06-2010, 16:58
Yes Emerld!

Not to mention some great day hiking opportunitites, rental cabins and tent sites. Places to rent a canoe, and chill with a book. Short trails where moose have been virtually guaranteed for decades, and more.

TJ aka Teej
06-06-2010, 17:29
I did not think anything, on way or the other. The reason for my post was to find out how close to the top you could get by car. If I had been there before, I wouldn't need to ask any questions. We will do the easier hike, now that I know the limitations.
Hi Joe,
On the west side of the mountain the AT passes through Katahdin Stream Campground. If you head up the mountain north on the AT a moderate hike with a little bit of "up" takes you a mile to Katahdin Stream Falls where a wooden bridge spans the stream below the falls. A hundred yards or so further beyond is an open ledge area with fine views back south on the AT. Short side trails take you to see the upper falls. Hike up, rest and picnic on the ledges, and head back down. A very accessible 2 mile "taste" of the AT and Katahdin for novice hikers.
On the east side out of Roaring Brook campground an easy walk takes you out to Sandy Stream Pond where two short side trails go to Moose-y viewing areas with an OUTSTANDING panorama across the pond of Katahdin.
Ask away if you have more questions!

mudhead
06-06-2010, 17:43
I am confused. Go from NC, all the way to Maine, all the way to Baxter, to look at a waterfall?

It is a nice spot. but.

Jester2000
06-06-2010, 18:45
I am confused. Go from NC, all the way to Maine, all the way to Baxter, to look at a waterfall?

It is a nice spot. but.

Yeah. That's almost as dumb as walking from Georgia to Maine.

Shutterbug
06-06-2010, 19:03

It is a nice spot. but.

I fly from Washington state, some of the best hiking in the world, to Maine each fall to visit Baxter State Park and the 100 Mile Wilderness. I can't say that it is any better hiking, but it is different.

mudhead
06-07-2010, 09:57
Perhaps I am jaded. Just seems a lot of effort for the payout. Two mile walk could be had in a bunch of places.

Shutterbug-You ever mess around in other parts of Baxter than Katahdin?

joec
06-07-2010, 16:40

It is a nice spot. but.

It is a vacation, we go places other than NC, we have been everywhere here. I do solo hikes close to NC, but my wife is not as avid. Going to Baxter gives us a new hiking experience and I can take her to some nice bed and breakfast places and the like around Maine. I just want to see that part of the world, and Baxter would be just one small part of our trip. I do the long hikes closer to home as I am piecing together sections. Next up, starting just north of Mt. Rogers and going about 50 miles.

joec
06-07-2010, 16:43
Hi Joe,
On the west side of the mountain the AT passes through Katahdin Stream Campground. If you head up the mountain north on the AT a moderate hike with a little bit of "up" takes you a mile to Katahdin Stream Falls where a wooden bridge spans the stream below the falls. A hundred yards or so further beyond is an open ledge area with fine views back south on the AT. Short side trails take you to see the upper falls. Hike up, rest and picnic on the ledges, and head back down. A very accessible 2 mile "taste" of the AT and Katahdin for novice hikers.
On the east side out of Roaring Brook campground an easy walk takes you out to Sandy Stream Pond where two short side trails go to Moose-y viewing areas with an OUTSTANDING panorama across the pond of Katahdin.
Ask away if you have more questions!

Thanks for the nice reply. A couple of folks on here seem to be vacation police!

Shutterbug
06-07-2010, 18:25
Shutterbug-You ever mess around in other parts of Baxter than Katahdin?

I have been to all of the campgrounds around Mt. Katahdin, but have never been up to the west entrance to the park.

One year, 1994, my wife and I saw 44 moose in one weekend in and around Baxter State Park.

brianzappa
06-08-2010, 10:35
Awesome shot of that moose!

Anyway, joec, have a great time if you make it up. I'll be in Baxter right around that time. Maybe it will coincide with your trip.