PDA

View Full Version : Mau-Har Trail

johnnybgood
06-05-2010, 16:27
The AT is included in this 13 mile loop hike at Reeds Gap (RT.664) on the Blue Ridge Pkwy .
Expect the parking lot to be crowded on weekends , I recommend arriving early to snag a spot.

From your car you begin by picking up the AT going southbound 2+easy miles to Maupin Field Shelter.

The Mau-Har trail starts behind the Maupin Field Shelter and descends to the valley floor below before reaching Harpers Creek Shelter where you intersect the AT and begin the big pull up Three Ridges.

This is an ideal 2 day hike and can be done either SoBo or as I did NoBo , not sure it really makes any difference.

Camped atop Three Ridges , spectacular view and once the sun begins to get low on the horizon is an awesome place to capture a memorable sunset. Star gazing is also pretty cool.

Press
06-06-2010, 12:39
Drove past the Reed's Gap/664 parking yesterday (Saturday) and can confirm that it was packed! Thanks for this post. Great idea to camp on top of Three Ridges. I keep forgetting about this trail and want to hike it this summer. I believe some folks also head onto it northbound from the Tye River crossing, there's a parking lot at the foot of the Priest near the Tye River AT footbridge.