PDA

View Full Version : maps and weight of them

Megapixel
06-05-2010, 17:57
Im beginning posting quite a few questions in relating to my upcoming thru...

1. Maps, do i need them or will a guide like pages etc. be sufficent?
2. If so, why didn't the map makers print them on both sides> or rather, are there maps out there that make them more weight efficient, such as double sided maps?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

wcgornto
06-05-2010, 18:06
There are several threads on whether or not maps are essential, with strong opinions either way. Some hikers carry maps and some do not, solely relying on guide books. Just do a search on maps and you will find lots of debate on the issue.

I carried them last year and I am glad I did so. I did not need them to get down the trail. They were useful for daily distance planning, orienting where I was, checking out features on either side of the trail, checking out elevation profiles, etc. I enjoyed having them.

As to weight, I carried one or two at a time. I received new maps in my mail drops and sent the ones home for trail sections already completed. I sold the complete set to a 2010 hiker at a big discount.

Some of them are printed on both sides and some are not. It depends on which maintaining club publishes which set.

Megapixel
06-05-2010, 18:15
thanks wc! much help here. i'll be looking for the double sided ones then. all the ones i own are single sided.

wcgornto
06-05-2010, 18:29
thanks wc! much help here. i'll be looking for the double sided ones then. all the ones i own are single sided.

To clarify my comment, the maps for some sections of the trail are double sided, and for other sections are single sided. There is no complete double sided set of trail maps.

GeneralLee10
06-05-2010, 18:32
Man, don't take this wrong. But people just need to man up maps
are not that much in weight. They are very helpful in many ways. I was all worried about weight but it's not worth stressing over. I have been with people and they did not have maps but Oh no! I was there to show the correct way. Your choice!!

Megapixel
06-05-2010, 18:35
no stressing here bro. just aiming for efficency. hike your own hike.

>>thanks for the clarification.