PDA

View Full Version : Chappy Six...out!

Chappy
11-01-2004, 08:14
This is my last post on Whiteblaze. I appreciate the effort of ATroll and SGT Rock to educate novice hikers as myself. However, I've found this to be a place where some choose to resort to profanity laced namecalling in private messages because they disagree with you. As a result, I've decided to make better use of my time.

America is a nation made up of a diverse population with different viewpoints and opinions. That's what makes our country great. I believe we don't have to agree on issues to get along, but we should respectfully disagree. I've spent the last 26 years of my life serving in the Army because I believe strongly in the principles that make us a great nation. Of those, I believe freedom of speech is the most basic.

I'll begin my thru hike in April when I retire from the Army. Hopefully, I will meet some of you on the trail. Even though we agree on very little I'd really like to meet SmokyMtn Steve. That guy is tenacious. I'd like to meet Lone Wolf. That guy is funny. I'd like to meet Jack Tarlin and SGT Rock. Those guys are smart. I'd like to meet ATtroll and say thank you. I'd like to meet Weary. That guy is filled with facts and reason. I'd like to meet Blue Jay. I'll have to think of a reason, though. :) There are many others I'd like to meet and if I haven't mentioned you please don't read anything into my oversight.

Chappy Six, out.

Blue Jay
11-01-2004, 08:52
Chappy, I hope you change your mind. Just delete messages from people you don't know. I'll try to bring you some beers when you get to Mass or VT.
Have a great hike (it'll be hard not to).

Mr. Clean
11-01-2004, 08:53
If you come back and read this, I'm sorry that you are going to let a few folk who type before they think make you leave this board. You will be doing the trail soon, and the knowledge and comeraderie that you could gain in preparing for that from this board is great. Don't let a few, whoever they are, ruin your day, and your hike.

smokymtnsteve
11-01-2004, 09:21
Chappy jist liek Sgt. Rock says..

"most folks who think they disagree, Agree more than they think"

I'm sure we could find some common ground, (do ya treat your water ? :D

I'm sorry to hear that folks have sent you Pm containing profanity,
cause even though we disagree on some issues, I assure you that the Goddess does not approve of the sending of profanity filled Hate.

Reconsider at least dropping in for a visit here at Whiteblaze from time to time, Time changes all things...time even changes us.

Youngblood
11-01-2004, 10:00
It helps to learn to pick your issues carefully. Most of the time, we hear what we WANT to hear, see what we WANT to see and believe what we WANT to believe, regardless of what the so called FACTS are. It also helps to realize that it is a waste of time trying to reason with fanatics or idiots... I often find this comforting, especially since I get to decide who the fanatics and idiots are. :)

Youngblood

PecosBackpacker
11-01-2004, 10:32
I don't post very often and I am a pretty new member and don't really know anyone, but you seem like a great guy. It's a shame some people feel the need to lace private messages with profanity on a website devoted to the beauty and serenity of the AT. I am with smokeymtnsteve in saying please drop by every now and then. I am not sure if I speak all of the decent members of this site, but I would like to apologize on behalf of all the uncouth posters out there. Your profanity-laced posts have really brought down the integrity of this site. I hope you're happy. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

Jaybird
11-01-2004, 10:41
Yo CHAPPY!

BLOCK out those that offend u!

Don't go away because someone curses @ you..or disagrees with you in
a non-intelligent manner....we need you here.

Rain Man
11-01-2004, 10:50
It helps to learn to pick your issues carefully. Most of the time, we hear what we WANT to hear, see what we WANT to see and believe what we WANT to believe, regardless of what the so called FACTS are. It also helps to realize that it is a waste of time trying to reason with fanatics or idiots... I often find this comforting, especially since I get to decide who the fanatics and idiots are. :)

Ain't that the truth?! I'm with you, Youngblood.
:sun
Rain Man

attroll
11-01-2004, 14:10
Chappy

wbdent Sorry that you have to leave on these terms. I know somewhat where you are coming from. There are a lot of users that post on this site that do it just to argue and make themselves known. If you were receiving nasty post in you private mail then I wish you would have told me. I would have looked into it. I have to admit that I do not read every single message that gets posted on this site. What I usually do is log on and click on NEW POST. Then I only read the post that look interesting or the ones that I am following. Although I will follow some that I know people have written to me and complained about. I believe that if you put a person on your ignore list that they can not send you a private message. I have never tried it but I believe it works that way. It is too bad that we have to put users on our ignore list. I know I let a lot of things slide on this site but there are a lot of things that some of you don't see me deleting either. I try to let the site run itself. Trying to make everyone happy is impossible. So I try to find a middle point. In doing so there are some users that do not like the middle point that I have chosen. But then I don't want to make it to extreme either. I do not want to be a dictator. We all know what a site is like that is run by a dictator is like.

wbdent So I guess what I am trying to do is say sorry to you Chappy and others if this site did not meet your expectations. I try my best. I am on here a lot more then people think I am. I know my wife is not happy with me when I am on here.

attroll
11-01-2004, 14:11
On another note. It is to bad that there are some users that find it fun to try and turn away the decent users that have come here to learn and share with us.

The Solemates
11-01-2004, 16:55
I can definitely see where Chappy is coming from, and in some way admire him for abandoning WB. This site is awesome, but the language and rudeness of the minority have certainly caused it to go downhill just recently.

Bolo
11-01-2004, 17:03
This site is awesome, but the language and rudeness of the minority have certainly caused it to go downhill just recently.
I agree with you. While I am a recent member and infrequent poster it seems with the onset of the election (and those who want to constantly discuss religion), the tone of the site has become frequently hostile. I'd much rather those experienced hikers give valuable information to the many newbies who have recently joined WB. I'm sure they'd appreciate it much more than arguments which can never be settled.

A-Train
11-01-2004, 17:21
In a week or less this political bashing will die down and we can all go back to sitting in a circle, holding hands, singing kum-ba-ya.

Percival
11-01-2004, 18:14
In a week or less this political bashing will die down and we can all go back to sitting in a circle, holding hands, singing kum-ba-ya.
In a hot tub.
But not with you A-Train, I have my eye on your girlfriend. :bse

Deerleg
11-01-2004, 18:28
In a week or less this political bashing will die down and we can all go back to sitting in a circle, holding hands, singing kum-ba-ya.Me too:clap :jump :D LOL...hot tub and maybe even a glass of wine or root beer:p

Lugnut
11-01-2004, 20:12
I'm willing to bet that Jack will still be ranting about Warren Doyle! :D

Lone Wolf
11-01-2004, 20:15
For crissakes don't get him going on this thread. :rolleyes:

prozac
11-02-2004, 00:06
Chappy, hate to see you go and hope you reconsider leaving Whiteblaze. While a profanity laced E-mail would piss me off, I doubt personally it would make me leave. I'm sure it wasn't anything you haven't heard before and like BlueJay says, just put the offender on your ignore list. Problem solved. That being said, I checked into your most recent posts and noticed a good percentage of them were non trail related and mostly pertained to either religion or politics. Two subjects I learned to avoid years ago. No discussion on either subject will convince someone to change their religeous or political beliefs and it invariably will turn adversal. Why bother. Not that that justifies a hateful E-mail, but if you roll around with the pigs your going to get muddy. Have fun on your thru. Prozac

Flash Hand
11-02-2004, 00:22
Profanity???

How many profanity or obscenes did you see on the road? I bet they are more visible than here in whiteblaze and I will be surprised you won't quit driving but quit the whiteblaze.

Ignore them.. plain and simple. Stand tall and don't show your weakness. You showed it and it will pleases them. Don't and stay with us! So far you did a numerous of contribution to the whiteblazes. Sad to see you to leave because of small numbers of nasty people.

Flash Hand :jump

Lugnut
11-02-2004, 00:58
For crissakes don't get him going on this thread. :rolleyes:

Sorry LW. Maybe he will miss this thread. :D

Blue Jay
11-02-2004, 08:50
Kumbyya, my lord
Kumbyya, ooooooh lord
Kumbyya.

Kozmic Zian
11-02-2004, 21:35
Yea......Don't Leave Like That, Chappy.......It's a low-down dirty shame that some dumb-asses don't get it. They can hide behind their computers and type anything they want, it seems, without impunity. However, it dosen't really work that way. What things these folks do and say, does not go unnoticed. Admin sees it, you see it, I see it, we all see it. It's like the guy in his car in traffic who thinks he can act irrationally, blow his horn, cut people off, and continues to do so until one day, bamb! He pays.....one way or another.....So these negative, unhappy people seem to want the rest of us to be that way. Well, we don't have to, or have to give in to their rants and idiocy. If you give it away (the Whiteblaze) you're by commission, giving into this piracy and negativety. Don't do it! Hang in there, don't allow this intimidation to influence you. A career soldier dosen't give up, ever. Just block that negativity out of your computer and your life. Look forward to seeing you up The Trail. KZ@

Pencil Pusher
11-02-2004, 23:37
It's hard to believe 26 years of army life didn't give the guy a thick enough skin to deal with this petty internet stuff. The dude didn't even bother to contact the webmaster before creating this thread. I don't see the point in the ignore button either, it's like an 'isolation' button. Well if the dude doesn't come back as Chappy, he should go get a free Yahoo e-mail and come back as some other avatar and follow the good advice from others' replies to this thread. Nobody will know any different.

Lint
11-03-2004, 17:45
Well, looks like I done made Chappy leave. Sheet...
I sent him a message calling him an a**hole after he accused me of being a "computer hiker". Rather than bring this up on the forum, I figured we could discuss this between ourselves. If this guy is going to accuse me of this I wanted to let him know he is mistaken, and my use of profanity was justified in my opinion. This was in a message BETWEEN TWO ADULTS. I drink at the VFW bar in town and hear much worse than "a**hole", you think this soldier can't deal with some bad language?
Chappy has had issues with many religious posts here. His delusions of theological superiority were called into question. Frankly, I enjoy bantering with people. Discussing religion is frustrating, but necessary! If he wants to leave because we are a diverse community, so be it. Not every AT hiker is christian, and not every AT hiker believes in a god.
So there ya have it. Blame the loss of Chappy on me. Man, I'm such an a**hole...

The Solemates
11-03-2004, 18:19
Well I certainly agree with your last sentence, Lint.

A-Train
11-03-2004, 19:19
Gimme a break. Chappy was in the military for 25 yrs and someone calling him an A-hole sent him off the deep end? I'm not condoning Lint's behavior, but atleast he had the courtesy for the Whiteblaze community not to soil a thread with name calling, choosing to do it in private.

If you review Chappy's recent posts, many of them were politically charged, and a lot of them were abrasive-toned. Get some thicker skin, and get real. All you should stop crying for him

smokymtnsteve
11-03-2004, 19:27
Well I certainly agree with your last sentence, Lint.

and lint tells the truth when he says

"Not every AT hiker is christian, and not every AT hiker believes in a god."

I'm not so sure he is an ******* though....I do know lint is a intelligent man and hard worker.

and a-train is also correct in mentioning "If you review Chappy's recent posts, many of them were politically charged, and a lot of them were abrasive-toned"

Lone Wolf
11-03-2004, 19:50
And A-Train you quit cryin cuz Bush got 4 more. :)

Lint
11-15-2004, 23:21
Well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway...

Skeemer
11-16-2004, 07:38
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it Lint.

MOWGLI
11-16-2004, 10:07
Well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway...

Well, not that I'm a saint or anything, but I'll remind you that it's not very "civil" to call someone an a-hole.

smokymtnsteve
11-16-2004, 10:38
it is also not very civil to tell folks that unless they accept a particular religion then they are not living thier life correctly, religious fundamentalist are basic a**holes, Lint just told the truth