PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mt, TN/Damascus, VA

RGB
06-05-2010, 20:40
Is there anything going on in this section that I should know about before I get out there? I can't wait!

rockdawg69
06-05-2010, 21:51
If nothing else, in about a week, Roan Mtn and the balds will be covered in the blooming rhododendrons and azealas. A very nice sight to see.

Kerosene
06-05-2010, 23:07
Should be a nice time of year to do this section. The AT from US-19E all the way to Damascus is quite easy.

JJJ
06-05-2010, 23:10
Jones Falls and Laurel Falls are good places for lunch or a break.
And there's Uncle Nick's headstone, a mile or two south of Cross Mt.

Cabin Fever
06-06-2010, 08:37
Water is starting to dry up on the ridgeline between Watauga Lake and Damascus. Northeast Tennessee is getting pretty dry. Make sure to fill up at the sources you cross.

RGB
06-06-2010, 11:29
Water is starting to dry up on the ridgeline between Watauga Lake and Damascus. Northeast Tennessee is getting pretty dry. Make sure to fill up at the sources you cross.

Thank you for the heads up.

bus
06-06-2010, 15:47
heading up to Carvers Gap > Walnut Mountain Rd next weekend...

RGB
06-23-2010, 21:51
I just finished up my section Monday night and spent yesterday in Damascus. It was a beautiful section, the only problem being water scarcity on Pond and Iron Mtns. Had a nice race down the ridge line through a thunderstorm to Damascus.

Thanks to everyone that makes The Place happen, no thanks to the boy scout troop that stayed there the night I got in and put off my sleep till the next night.

Praha4
06-23-2010, 21:59
a nuisance raccoon reported lately at Iron Mtn Shelter, it's mentioned in the shelter logbook and from hikers in the area in early June. and like other hikers mentioned here, water is getting harder to find from Watauga Lake to Damascus, so camel up when you find it

Anumber1
06-23-2010, 22:36
be very cautious about treating your water around roan. I became extremely! ill last year in that area. A few other hikers experienced similar "both ends" discharge.

RGB
06-24-2010, 10:13
be very cautious about treating your water around roan. I became extremely! ill last year in that area. A few other hikers experienced similar "both ends" discharge.

Damn I must be very lucky then. At least on two ocassions I took a few sips of untreated because I kept running so low and didn't/couldn't wait for full treatment. Needless to say, this trip inspired me to invest in a filter. Those chlorine tabs also gave me some type of weird heartburn.

bus
06-24-2010, 10:57
I would treat the water form the spings that touch the ground (the one after Grassy Ridge and definitely the water just before Aplpe House), but, that water from the pipe at the Barn is sweet nectar on a hot day. And there was a few of them last week...