PDA

View Full Version : black balsam / cold mtn water ?

G-WALK
06-06-2010, 01:12
We are planning on heading up to Black balsam / graveyard fields, off the blueridge parkway in NC. Hiking up around shinning rock area for the night. What is the water like up there? Springs? I know of the stream at graveyard fields. Any car break ins or other issues in the area? Do you think Nicole Kidman is waiting for me on cold mtn?? Ha! Thanks for any help.

:-?

G

Cabin Fever
06-06-2010, 08:28
I was up there in January and recall one good water source. There was a piped spring on the side of the service road at Black Balsam parking area. From the parking area, take the service road 100 yards or so from the parking are and the piped spring is on the right. There was also a light running stream a few hundred yards up the service road. (NOTE: This was all during snow melt so I cannot guarantee if the water is still running up there.)

NotYet
06-06-2010, 09:38
There are some good sources between Graveyard Fields and Ivestor Gap...Dark Prong is always running and there is a small spring before the old road hits the Greasy Cove Trail. If you use the Art Loeb Trail in the Shining Rock area, there is a spring a bit north of Flower Gap, and another spring a bit south of Shining Rock Gap...both gaps have really great camping. On the Cold Mountain Trail pretty far above Deep Gap, there is a trickle you can get water from. We've had more rain lately, so this spring might have more water. Once you head off the ridges, there are usually many sources.

NotYet
06-06-2010, 09:42
The small spring before the Greasy Cove trail that I mentioned is often hard to notice, it usually makes a wet place on the trail...as you get closer to the intersection, there is nasty, "oily looking" water that I would not recommend.