PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag

klar4230
06-06-2010, 10:21
Picked up a new sleeping bag this week...my issue has always been getting the bag back into the bag and compressed back to the original 'out of the box' size!

Any tips?:sun

Hikes in Rain
06-06-2010, 10:24
Slightly larger stuff sack? Just got a new one myself; same issue. I haven't yet taken my own advice yet, though.

klar4230
06-06-2010, 11:15
That is a possibility...I really don't want to spend money on something that I really shouldn't need. I wish the bag came with instructions on how to fold/pack for optimum storage!

M1 Thumb
06-06-2010, 11:19
If its a down bag, just start shoving it into the stuff bag it came with. It will fit. No need to flatten it and roll it. For long term storage don't leave it in the stuff sack. Hang it or put it in a large bag for storage. My Marmot came with a large cloth bag (size of a large garbage bag) so it can fluff out and rest comfortably.

klar4230
06-06-2010, 15:05
Thanks for the tip! I will hang it up when I move...I'll have another room and two other closets to store gear in!

Hikes in Rain
06-06-2010, 17:28
Thanks for the tip! I will hang it up when I move...I'll have another room and two other closets to store gear in!

Another room AND two closets??? Wow! I'm seriously jealous. But yes, the previous advise is right. Store the bag flat or in the large storage bag (if it came with one). Do that, and it'll serve you well for years. My old Arctic weight bag, from the years I lived in Alaska, has to be almost 25 years old, and it's still very serviceable, because the only time it's gone in the stuff sack is when I'm packing up.

I now live in Florida. Doesn't happen that often. :rolleyes:

Tinker
06-06-2010, 22:49
Some folks (me, for one) don't use stuffsacks for their sleeping bags (or sleeping clothing). We put a plastic bag into the bottom of the backpack, stuff the sleeping bag and clothing into it, squeeze out as much air as possible, and twist off the neck of the sack, stuffing it back behind the main body of the plastic bag itself. Saves room in the pack in the long run, and might be a little easier on the sleeping bag itself. I hang all my bags by the foot when they're not in use.

JAK
06-07-2010, 07:27
I've wondered sometimes with my Jam2 if I might get away without even the plastic bag. The backpack is waterproof enough. The problem is there that stuff like the tarp and bivy and blue foam pad still have some water on it when you shake it off. The front pouch on the Jam2 should really by mesh I think, for stuff like that, and wet clothing also even though I normally wear those until they are dry. I sometimes pack the sleeping bag inside of my bivy, but it is hard to do it that way and still get all the air out, especially if the ground it wet and it is raining. Good idea to find ways to reduce the use of plastic bags though.