PDA

View Full Version : Quandry/Input: To section hike in PA or VT at the end of this month

GR82Hike
06-06-2010, 11:33
My hubby and I have some time at the end of this month and cannot decide on whether to pick up where our maps have been completed through (Pine Grove Furnace, PA) or go up further north and do a section in VT. We're looking at doing about 100 miles over 8/9 days.

We've just completed (May 20-28) a hole in my map in VA; from Waynesboro to 110 miles south of there; and it was quite hot; black flies tore me up (no mosquitos); and the poison ivy/stinging nettle were creeping on the trail in several areas. Needless to say, the heat was the worst part.

Here's our quandry:
Do we head to Pennsylvania? Beyond the rocks, are the rattlesnakes/coperheads really an issue (not afraid, just don't want to encounter several each day - if this indeed there are a lot of them?), bugs (are they bad now: how about in a few more weeks - worse, gone?), temperature (too hot?).
Or do we head off to Vermont (heading north from MA/VT border)? I spoke to someone who did this section around the time in question and said it was VERY muddy (called it the muddy season), he said the mosquitos were pretty bad, the temperatures would be about the same as PA, and VT had fewer resupply points? (Ideally, would carry 5 days; respply at 5 days).

Thanks,
GR82HIKE !

emerald
06-06-2010, 12:05
I'd opt for Pennsylvania and watch the water situation (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1018724&postcount=54). We're a bit dry at the moment, but conditions are improving. One place gets as hot as the other come summer, but Pennsylvania isn't likely to be as buggy. Vermont gets better later.

Don't feel you need to hike at high noon. It's not a requirement when the days are long. Travel while the wood thrushes are singing during the early morning hours especially and in the evening. Find a cool place to spend the middle part of the day resting. Hike more miles on cooler days and when there's more cloud cover.

I doubt you're twice as likely to see snakes of any kind on the A.T. in Pennsylvania compared to other States. Snakes become more active when it gets warmer wherever they are found. The only time you can be assured of not seeing any is winter.

Keep your eyes on the treadway, watch where you put your hands and feet and carry on. Take a few minutes to learn how to identify venomous snakes (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1018380&postcount=42) and something about them. You will feel less threatened by snakes and enjoy your hike more.

Vermont may have more-appealing, naturally-occurring swimming options, but Pennsylvania has more public swimming pools for cooling off.

emerald
06-06-2010, 12:43
Duncannon happens to be right on the A.T. and would fall near the midpoint of your next 100-mile section northbound. I'd suggest finishing at Port Clinton (114.4 miles). Hamburg is a short and pleasant walk from Port Clinton along Schuylkill River Trail (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42966) on an abandoned railroad grade. It offers additional services not available at Port Clinton including public transportation provided by BARTA.

If you expect to have use of your own transportation and enjoy history, Pennsylvania has far more to offer than what's available to A.T. visitors on foot. Check out the link in the opening post of the WhiteBlaze thread just linked or subscribe (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups) to non-AT discussions and read about topics of interest posted to History as a mystery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35528).

Jeff
06-06-2010, 12:47
Frankly, you will have mud on the trails in Vermont all summer long. But it is not a deal breaker. Late June will be beautiful. There are buses that can get you back from Rutland to N. Adams, MA so shuttling will work out great. And Manchester will work out just right for resupply in the middle of your hike.

Cookerhiker
06-06-2010, 14:42
I also vote for VT. Since you said "end of this month," then you shouldn't have black flies. Re. mosquitos, just bring a tent instead of sleeping in shelter. The time and length you want - 100 miles - makes up an ideal hike from No. Adams to Sherburne Pass (Rt. 4).

Jeff referred to buses. When I hiked the Long Trail in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=204987), I actually used 3 local buses: Williamstown to North Adams, Bennington to Manchester, Manchester to the trailhead east of Rutland. They're all run by the counties. I did hitchhike between Williamstown and Bennington.

Incidentally, I'm the objective impartial tie-breaker here. Emerald lives in PA, Jeff lives in VT. I've hiked the whole AT but don't even live in a Trail state!:D

emerald
06-06-2010, 14:49
I thought I'd made a good case for Pennsylvania, but if Bill gets to decide, then I guess it's Vermont!

BigFoot2002
06-06-2010, 14:57
Hmmm. The springs may not be totally dry, you won't die of heat stroke if you don't hike in the middle of the day, learn to identify poisonous snakes before it's too late.

That's a good case for Pennsylvania?

emerald
06-06-2010, 15:29
If you think you can do better, give it your best shot!

BigFoot2002
06-06-2010, 15:38
Well, since you asked, how about this for an advertisement

"Pennsylvania - It really doesn't suck as much as you've heard it does"

emerald
06-06-2010, 15:58
Sorry, but I'm unmoved and doubtful you've sold anyone in the market with your advertising campaign. You should consider applying your obvious talents elsewhere where they would be more appreciated and your efforts better compensated.

BigFoot2002
06-06-2010, 16:04
Ok, I admit that those of us who are really not funny, should not pretend.

How about "You will enjoy your town stays more than most other states"

burger
06-06-2010, 17:28
I vote for VT, too. Why? Scenery. The trail through Verrmont goes over a bunch of impressive mountains with great views. You get a great view about once a day in Vermont. In between, there are many, many gorgeous streams and several nice ponds.

PA is lacking in views and definitely lacking in water (water sources for many shelters are way downhill off the trail). I can't recall going by any major lakes or ponds in PA except maybe the little one in town at Boiling Springs.

Vermont's beautiful--you'll have a nice hike even if it is muddy.

Cookerhiker
06-06-2010, 17:38
...I can't recall going by any major lakes or ponds in PA except maybe the little one in town at Boiling Springs.

Vermont's beautiful--you'll have a nice hike even if it is muddy.

I recall a small pond near the bottom of the descent into DWG at which point you're almost in NJ where there are lakes & ponds. I think the glaciers stopped creating lakes on a line across northern NJ & PA.

But to reiterate: hike in VT. And have a swim in Stratton Pond (or Griffith Lake or Little Rock Pond).

emerald
06-06-2010, 18:06
I get the impression the person starting this thread and her husband intend to hike all of the A.T. Hers is not so much a question of choosing one hike over the other, but rather which is the better hike 2 or 3 weeks from now and what might be the best time for the other.

Kittatinny Ridge is likely the longest ridge walk on the entire A.T. broken up somewhat by water gaps. Since many hike here in the summer months, it's fortunate they are some of the easiest miles anywhere.

Hikers who complain about a lack of views on the Pennsylvania A.T. come here with unrealistic and unreasonable expectations its physiography cannot satisfy and set themselves up for disappointment. I have always been quick to point out the opportunity presents an invitation to look at what is in the near view where there is much to see rather than attempting to focus upon distant panoramas elsewhere.

What Pennsylvania's A.T. lacks in water features and elevation changes, it makes up for in other ways. It is a great place to view wildlife and it's rich in history. There are many beautiful, pastoral scenes (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18641&catid=557) which are as good as any to be had on the A.T.

If I could suggest a better time for her to hike Pennsylvania, it would be a cooler month when migrating hawks are aloft. I'm not a summer hiker either and become crepuscular, venturing out only early and late in the day when temperatures aren't as high and the sunlight's not as intense.

Maybe the hardest part of section-hiking is choosing when and where to hike, but I'd rather decide than through hike.

Cookerhiker
06-06-2010, 19:12
Actually for a mile or 2, PA does have one neat view that as far as I can remember is unique to the entire AT.

Leaving Duncanon, NOBOs cross the Susquehanna which BTW is the widest and longest river crossing of the Trail. After ascending the ridge on the east side and getting into the woods, hikers will enjoy views - especially when the trees are bereft of leaves mid-Oct to April - of the Susquehanna from both sides of the Trail at the same time, not just from the ascent itself but for about a mile or 2. I found this fascinating. You're in the woods on the ridgeline. Look right - there's the Susquehanna. Look left - same thing.

emerald
06-06-2010, 19:51
Delaware Water Gap is another Pennsylvania location noted for its scenery where hikers stand a good chance of spotting a Bald Eagle. They're observed regularly at Pennsylvania's other water gaps too.

simon
06-06-2010, 19:53
Personally i did a week in Vermont about that time last year. The mud was an issue for me. I did enjoy the peaks and the views they supplied.