PDA

View Full Version : Hike advice post hike assesment

scott37
06-06-2010, 16:59
:-? I had planned a 14 day section hike between springer and hot springs. I received alot of good advice and thank all. I was asked by several of you to let everyone know how it went. I had to pull out early becuase of injuries. Not the ones you would think of though when you do the math and see that this section hike would have required 20 mile days.
I left springer parking lot on USFS42 at 10:00 am 31st.
went to springer and then doubled back and hiked to Gooch Gap (day 1)
I left Gooch gap at 0730 and hiked over blood mountain and arrived at Neels Gap at 1600. (Day 2)
I left Neels Gap and hiked to Blue MTN. (day 3)
(Day 4) I hiked down to unicoi and shuttled in to Hiawassei and had to stop.
I treated all my clothes with Permetharyne (military grade insect repellant) and unfurtanetly had an allergic reaction resulting in blistering and burning of the skin in all body joints and along the waist line. This started on day 1 and I tried to treat it on the AT but could not stop the increase of injury and was worried about infection. I plan on starting were I left off next year and finishing this hike. Good luck to all and Thanks to all those I met and supported me on the Trail. Scott37

Rocket Jones
06-06-2010, 17:20
Yikes! A good reminder to everyone to test your gear and routines at home and on short trips before going for a long trip.

Glad to hear you're gonna finish it up.

scott37
06-06-2010, 18:45
Yeah I was disappointed. I was really knocking out some miles and haveing a good time. my feet and knees were fine.

scott37
06-06-2010, 18:47
I saw a small black bear hanging around about 1 kilometer from low gap. that was the high light of the hike.

Captain Blue
06-06-2010, 18:53
Next time try Permethrin.