PDA

View Full Version : Training for month-long trip (Colorado)

longhiker
06-07-2010, 10:25
I was looking for feedback on my training for a thru-hike of the Colorado Trail in late July... the trail is probably a lot less rocky than the AT but has about 2000 ft of ascent / day.

I hope to do 400 miles of the 486-mile trail in about a month or even 5 weeks.. aim for 11 - 13 miles / day average. I live in NJ, so can't help the altitude.

I'm 27 , 145 lbs, 5' 11".. tall and skinny. (Always use trekking poles..)

My program so far:

1. 40 mins of non-stop swimming 5 times a week

2. Weekend hikes w/ 26 lb pack -- did 30 miles in 1.5 days this weekend on the AT in the Delaware Water gap, did 25 miles in Shenandoah NP the weekend before and plan to do similar (but longer) weekends until my trip.

3. Lunges + stretching of the hamstrings while lying flat

4. Plan to start working the step-master machine in the gym for 30 mins several days a week

5. Could add weight training for the legs in the gym on those machines

Could anyone suggest any changes / additions to this?

I'd find swimming and stretches most easy to add (and find them quite useful.. my hamstrings seem to be a bit tight and my knees make creaky sounds despite my age.. have seen a doctor before who didnt seem to worry about it and will visit again before the trip). Running is too violent on my joints.

IceAge
06-07-2010, 16:00
I hate to bear bad news, but the altitude is going to kick your ass.

The good news is that you'll get used to it quickly, 2 days and you'll probably be doing much better.

Just wanted to warn you that those first 200 yards are going to be rough, and you will think "what the hell!?!"

I've hiked in CO and NM at altitude a few times and no matter how in shape I am, I need to take a knee after those first 200 yards. Take lots of breaks the first day and drink plenty of water.

longhiker
06-07-2010, 16:08
Yeah, it's clear the altitude will be the biggest factor and there is little I can do about it in advance..

but I'd like to know what kind of training / fitness is useful beyond that for any extended hiking -- that's why I'm posting in an AT forum.

Left to my own devices, I can imagine doing a lot more of the swimming and no weight training for the legs (since it's less enjoyable). But it's not clear to me what benefits swimming provides...

Also, anything to make things easier on my knees would help - they might be my weakest link. Does stretching hamstrings help the knees? Does going extra hiking and getting my knees sore repeatedly help build it up? Does the step-master help?

gravityman
06-07-2010, 16:52
The good news is the CT starts night and low and flat. You don't have anything serious to climb for the first few days.

Stair master is great to get in shape. It will strengthen the right muscles for the knees. Probably the best thing you can do for the knees is lighten the load on your back.

Gravity

flemdawg1
06-07-2010, 17:32
I'd suggest doing some exercising to increase your VO2-max, faster stair master stuff, eliptical machine or spinning. I prefer running track intervals and hills, but you said you're not up for running.

fiddlehead
06-07-2010, 19:41
Yeah, it's the lungs that'll hurt.
Be in the best shape you can. Take it easy in the beginning.
You'll be fine.
It's an easy trail in comparison to the AT (physically) and much better scenery.
After 3-4 days, you'll be cruisin.
There are a few dry stretches on the CT closer to the western end from what I remember.

thejackal
07-21-2010, 22:17
yeah, keep exercising however you want and you'll be fine. it will take you a couple days for the altitude so take it relatively slow. unless you're going to be doing something other than hiking, i think you'll find that you will travel much more than 11-13 miles per day. and once you're 400 miles into the trail (say to creede or silverton), there's no way you're going to leave the trail without finishing. figuring out the logistics and getting back to nj from a small town in western colorado could be a lot more complicated (and perhaps take more time) than walking to durango.

thejackal
07-21-2010, 22:18
hahahah. just realized this post is old. longhiker could be home by now!

longhiker
07-21-2010, 22:22
no.. i'm just about to leave on the trip :)

Pmags end 2 end guide answers all peripheral questions.. like taking the greyhound from durango to denver.

anyway, thanks for the encouragement. in the very last stages of packing up food and mailing it out. unfortunately, i might have overtrained a bit on the treadmill and i have a mild soreness / discomfort / mildest of pains underneath one foot.. doesn't fit plantar fasciitis exactly since the pain is not at the heal but along the outer ridge of the arch.. almost the outer ridge of the foot actually.

i hope it isn't plantar fasciitis brought on by just a month of intense training on the treadmill.. i've been using green superfeet insoles and all. so i'm resting these last days before the trip and hoping it'll just go away..

as you can, i'm a bit anxious after all this training and preparing 30 days of food :) anyway, preparing for it was a unique experience in itself.

AHolcomb
07-21-2010, 22:45
If you want to know what it is like to hike in High altitude. Try running work walking with only breathing through a straw. Its the only way I can describe it.