PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike in Late June

redseal
06-07-2010, 10:40
Hi all, you're help is appreciated. I am planning on doing a 5 day section hike starting just north of Mt. Mansfield and going SOBO in late June. Would a 40 degree bag be sufficient? I am also assuming lots of bugs and blackflies, is this correct? Any other help notes I should consider? Thanks again!

redseal
06-07-2010, 10:41
Sorry, I meant to say your not you're :-)

Cookerhiker
06-07-2010, 12:26
I think you're OK with a 40 degree bag.

Now you didn't ask this but I'll offer anyway: starting a SOBO hike "just north of Mansfield" means you're starting at 108? If so, you've picked a very brutal stretch for your first few days. Is that by design?

redseal
06-07-2010, 12:57
108 seems about right, but I cannot remember the exact starting point off the top of my head. It is by design or at least because of the time constraints. Starting there will allow us to see both Mt. Mansfield and Camel's Hump on our trip. I think we have short mileage days around 10 miles for the stretch so that should help some.

Is my assumption about bugs during that time of the year correct for that area?

Kerosene
06-07-2010, 13:44
I'm not as convinced that a 40-degree bag will be sufficient. If it were me, I'd probably go with a 30-degree plus camp clothing in a pinch. You could add some heavier camp clothes to augment your bag if you're not warm enough.

Quoddy
06-07-2010, 19:45
Late June is traditionally peak black fly season on much of the LT. I think a 40 is a good bag choice unless you sleep cold. I've done an E-2-E with a 50 degree bag, but mountain temperatures at night did reach around 39 twice during late August near Mansfield.

Cookerhiker
06-07-2010, 19:53
108 seems about right, but I cannot remember the exact starting point off the top of my head. It is by design or at least because of the time constraints. Starting there will allow us to see both Mt. Mansfield and Camel's Hump on our trip. I think we have short mileage days around 10 miles for the stretch so that should help some.

Is my assumption about bugs during that time of the year correct for that area?

OK, so I'll assume you have the Guide and know that you're starting out your first day ascending 2,400' in 2 miles and ahead, you face a 3,700' ascent up Camel's Hump. What is less obvious from the Guide is the stretch between Taylor Lodge and Duck Brook Shelter (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=203339) - it is constant up-and-down so in looking ahead to Camels Hump, don't underestimate your time on that part.

Deadeye
06-07-2010, 22:19
Great stretch of trail. IMO, a 40 degree bag will be plenty, and the bugs will only bother you when you're not moving fast enough. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the bugs just don't seem as bad as they used to be. Now when I was younger, the bugs had to fly 5 miles each way... and they were twice as big as they are now.

redseal
06-08-2010, 09:09
Thanks all...I think we will go with the 40 degree bag and use our camp clothes if needed.

Cooker...we expect a tough hike, but it should be very rewarding. Looking at the schedule we have:
- 8.5 mi. from VT 108 to Taylor Lodge
- 7.6 mi. from Taylor Lodge to Buchanan
- 12.2 mi. from Buchanan to Banforth Ridge
- 10.5 mi. from Banforth Ridge to Cowles Cove
- 5.5 mi. from Cowles Cove to VT 17
These shorter days should give us time to enjoy the views.

As an additional question that I may post in a new thread...can anyone recommend a shuttle or other transportation service from VT 17 to VT 108?

Cookerhiker
06-08-2010, 09:49
....As an additional question that I may post in a new thread...can anyone recommend a shuttle or other transportation service from VT 17 to VT 108?

Yes, we employed the services of Andy and Carlene Squires who love in Jonesville, around your half-way point. I haven't checked updates but they're listed in the 2007 End-to-Ender's Guide. Their phone no. is 802-434-2533.

redseal
06-29-2010, 09:37
To anyone interested, we finished a small section of the trail last week. We spent 3 days on the trail from VT 108 to US 2. It rained part of the first day and was sunny and warm the rest of the time. We met 14 thru-hikers during our time out. The bugs were non-existent and the nights were in the mid 50's so the 40 degree bag worked well, but still a little warm.

Before the start, we stayed at the Brass Lantern Inn in Stowe. They shuttled us from VT 17 to there for only $20 and the shuttle to VT 108 was free. The inn was great and we would definitely recommend if you are planning on going that route.

Cookerhiker
06-29-2010, 09:51
To anyone interested, we finished a small section of the trail last week. We spent 3 days on the trail from VT 108 to US 2. It rained part of the first day and was sunny and warm the rest of the time. We met 14 thru-hikers during our time out. The bugs were non-existent and the nights were in the mid 50's so the 40 degree bag worked well, but still a little warm.

Before the start, we stayed at the Brass Lantern Inn in Stowe. They shuttled us from VT 17 to there for only $20 and the shuttle to VT 108 was free. The inn was great and we would definitely recommend if you are planning on going that route.

Sounds good. I guess it was cool enough in the evening to deter the mosquitos.