PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart Tent dimensions

HockeyGirl
06-07-2010, 13:35
Hi there

Does anyone have a solo one of these who can give me specs on the size of the tent - can't see it on the website (might have missed it) and tried emailing the company but have had no reply as yet?

Trying to compare it to my Rainbow.

Cheers

:-)

leaftye
06-07-2010, 14:32
http://www.lightheartgear.com/solospecs.html

HockeyGirl
06-07-2010, 15:54
Cheers!

Not sure how I missed that! *off to the opticians* :D

Persistent
06-07-2010, 16:42
Hockey Girl,
I tried to email you but it sounds like you did not receive my response. The dimensions are 133" Long, 65" wide, and 43 inches of head room. There is a spot to click on for Specs and Features on the left side of the Solo page. I will try to send you another email with the other information.
Sorry for the problems,
LightHeart Gear

FamilyGuy
06-08-2010, 00:45
Any chance that production of the tents will move back to the US from China?

East Coast Alex
06-08-2010, 01:04
30 square-feet (plus 3.7 for the vestibule). That's kind of big for a solo tent. Kind of like a "1+" person tent.

[EDIT: Actually... nevermind... it actually say's it's a 1+ tent right on the specs page... so... ]

I guess it doesn't matter all that much. Variety is the spice of life, I suppose... and not all tents need conform to the same ol', same ol' standard.

I was just sort of randomly grousing that since I guess the Lightheart Solo is supposed to ostensibly be in the realm of ultralight tents, it's actually on the large side. LightHeart could really shave the weight down from its current 27 ounces), and the size too (because it's packs-size is also a tad large, though not by much).

They should make a true 1-person smaller model that could compete with the Tarptent Sublite. By making it a 1 person tent, cutting the size down to 75'ish percent (or less) of what it is now, they could probably get it down to sub-20 ounces, making it even lighter than Tarptents Sublite model (their lightest)... plus it would have the vestibule too, giving it an edge over the Tarptent Sublite.

Tuckahoe
06-08-2010, 06:58
I guesss I have to be different and feel that its a benefit that the lightheart solo is a 1+ person tent. Its nice that its not so small and that there is plenty of room in the tent. And less than 2 pounds is nothing to sneeze at.

HockeyGirl
06-08-2010, 07:54
I have now had a very nice email from Lightheart who have been very helpful - thank you very much and can't wait to order my new tent later today!:D

leaftye
06-08-2010, 22:00
I guesss I have to be different and feel that its a benefit that the lightheart solo is a 1+ person tent. Its nice that its not so small and that there is plenty of room in the tent. And less than 2 pounds is nothing to sneeze at.

Agreed. I'd never get a shelter that's so small I couldn't get all my gear out of the elements. For me that means at least a 1+ shelter.

trailangelbronco
06-08-2010, 22:08
I heard a rumor that I am getting a bonus tomorrow at work. If so, my Solo will be ordered tomorrow night. I have researched and read up on lightweight tents over the last six months, and the Solo and even Duo seem like the perfect balance between weight/room and functionality for me.

My Grandma was also a seamstress. She was a perfectionist and the quality of work was better than anything found in stores, and this is probably also true with the Lightheart owner who is also a seamstress.

HeartFire
06-08-2010, 22:29
Any chance that production of the tents will move back to the US from China?

Family guy,
I still make all the colored tents here in North Carolina, (and will gladly make a gray one too). These are also made of 100% USA materials. But I am not able to sew fast enough to keep up with orders, so I had to have them manufactured for me. I am dealing with an American company, but they outsource all their smaller runs of production to China. To have it sewn here in the US would have cost me about 3 times as much money. Are you willing to pay $500 - $600.00 for a tent? I doubt it. Also, the fabric that comes from China has a higher waterproof rating than what is available in the US.

I am still searching sources, it's very hard to break into this business and find the best sources for these things. Some similar companies are very secretive about where and how they have things done.

East Coast Alex:

My goal in the tent was ROOM. I wanted room and ventilation (and lightweight). I don't like coffin sized tents. I have a Tarp Tent Virga - I slept in it 2 nights and will never sleep in something that small again. I actually just finished a prototype tent made with half of it cuben fiber. It weighs 1# 3 oz. and, that's with 2 full doors, so 2 long zippers. and one zipper for the fly. it also packs down much smaller.

Judy - LightHeart Tents

trailangelbronco
06-08-2010, 23:10
Family guy,
I still make all the colored tents here in North Carolina, (and will gladly make a gray one too). These are also made of 100% USA materials. But I am not able to sew fast enough to keep up with orders, so I had to have them manufactured for me. I am dealing with an American company, but they outsource all their smaller runs of production to China. To have it sewn here in the US would have cost me about 3 times as much money. Are you willing to pay $500 - $600.00 for a tent? I doubt it. Also, the fabric that comes from China has a higher waterproof rating than what is available in the US.

I am still searching sources, it's very hard to break into this business and find the best sources for these things. Some similar companies are very secretive about where and how they have things done.

East Coast Alex:

My goal in the tent was ROOM. I wanted room and ventilation (and lightweight). I don't like coffin sized tents. I have a Tarp Tent Virga - I slept in it 2 nights and will never sleep in something that small again. I actually just finished a prototype tent made with half of it cuben fiber. It weighs 1# 3 oz. and, that's with 2 full doors, so 2 long zippers. and one zipper for the fly. it also packs down much smaller.

Judy - LightHeart Tents

WOW! sounds great!!