PDA

View Full Version : smartwools?

06-07-2010, 15:59
has anyone else experienced a short lifespan of smartwools?
speaking behalf of my experience, they all seem to wear out (particularly in the heel area) prematurely.
last pair i bought, first time on, they ripped right down the seam.
this said, i'm strongly considering a new brand.
anyone have anything promising to share about keen socks?
thanks and hike on.

dmax
06-07-2010, 16:46
I would suggest Darn Tough socks. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

solstice
06-07-2010, 17:19
Bought my first (and last) pair of Smartwools a few weeks back upon recommendation from a fellow hiker. They started breaking down after the second wear; I don't have noxious feet! That shouldn't happen. I assume there's some special care required for them, which would be rather ridiculous, considering that they are hiking socks.

Feral Bill
06-07-2010, 17:50
I have had good luck with Smart Wool, for hiking and everyday wear. But I've done as well with the Costco hiking socks.

BigFoot2002
06-07-2010, 18:09
Smartwools have worked the best for me. My vote for worst sock ever made: EMS.

Shutterbug
06-07-2010, 18:37
has anyone else experienced a short lifespan of smartwools?
speaking behalf of my experience, they all seem to wear out (particularly in the heel area) prematurely.
last pair i bought, first time on, they ripped right down the seam.
this said, i'm strongly considering a new brand.
anyone have anything promising to share about keen socks?
thanks and hike on.

I have a pair of smartwools. They were a gift. They have lasted a long time because I rarely wear them. I wear Wigwam Comfort Hiker Lite Merino Wool Hiking Socks almost every day -- http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19840

Dogwood
06-07-2010, 21:02
Depends on the model, wt, and use of the sock under different hiking conditions.

Is the OP, and others, talking about all Smartwool socks in general or specific models and cushion wts?

I often use the PhD Outdoor light wt Mini. Although, I think I still have some of the med wt PhD Outdoor Minis as well as the med wt Adrenaline Minis. The PhD's are the longest lasting Smartwools that I've worn. Employing them as my goto merino wool socks(75 % merino wool) on thru-hikes(PCT, JMT, LT) while wearing trail runners or even when bushwacking in places like the Sierras(SHR, HDT) their durability has been a non issue for me.

I also like the med wt Mini Hikers(74 % merino wool) for their combination of superior cushioning, wicking, wide temp range of usage, and their ability to "breathe."

If I do happen to wear a boot or mid ankle hiking shoe, which isn't very often these days, I'll wear the taller med wt Hiking Crew sock.

The Mini Hikers and Crew Length med wt Hikers don't last as long as the PhD's though.

In my experience, the Crew Length Hikers tend to wear out first in the heel area, especially in the achilles tendon area when wearing boots. When they start to wear thin in that area you either have to replace them or be careful when pulling them on so that you don't further shred them in the achilles area.

BigFoot2002
06-07-2010, 21:06
Any idea how long the Wigwams hold up on a long hike vs Smartwools or other brands?

Appalachian Tater
06-07-2010, 21:22
SmartWool socks don't last for me either, they pill quickly then get holes at the back of the heel. The LL Bean Cresta socks work for me. It probably has to do with the way my foot is shaped, how my shoes fit, and how I walk.

briankeithsmith
06-07-2010, 21:24
I wear SmartWool's every day, run in them every other day, and hike in SmartWools and Darn Tough socks. I like 'em both. The Darn Tough socks are a little more comfy.

My .02.

TheCheek
06-07-2010, 21:33
My wife went over 1000 miles on a single pair of Bridgedales with liners in 2005.

JAK
06-07-2010, 21:54
The trouble with trademarks is that they start off good,
then they start to diminish and vary in quality over time.

You have to examine clothing with a critical eye, regardless of trademarks.
Eventually you develop a sense of what will last, and what is crap.

weary
06-07-2010, 22:10
I have had good luck with Smart Wools -- and bad luck, more recently.

I remain convinced that the best hiking socks are those made by Thorlo in Statesville, NC. Thorlo makes numerous versions of their socks, one or two for each user activity, from tennis to backpacking, which requires folks to buy carefully. Not all wear well for all activities. But when I choose the type for the use that I'm going to use them for, I've never been disappointed in the nearly two decades I've been using Thorlo socks.

Weary

JAK
06-07-2010, 22:28
I have a thin pair of smartwool socks that are low cut on the ankle, sort of like a trail runner sock. They are awesome, at least until I lost one of them dammit. They were very durable, and the performed very well meaning they were comfortable, and warm when wet, and they dried out well. The worst smartwool socks I have are about medium weight, but instead of being knit with thicker yarn they just have a bunch of fluffy crap knit into them, which makes them much less durable, and more water absorbing, and less warm when wet, and slower to dry out. Trademarks don't mean anything these days.

What really matters is the actual material being used, its specific quality and physical characteristics, and how it is put together. Rather than going by trademarks, or brandnames, or other hype, it has become neccessary to develop a keen technical eye for what will work, how it will perform, and how long it will last. I have tried other wool socks besides smartwool. My conclusion is that brandnames and trademarks and logos, or what store you buy something in and how much you pay, are very poor indicators of performance and durability. You have to judge for yourself, and develop your own critical expertise.

Wool dress socks with some nylon in them work very well. They will get some holes in the toes, which can be darned, but they generally perform very well, and hold up very well.

Shutterbug
06-07-2010, 23:06
Any idea how long the Wigwams hold up on a long hike vs Smartwools or other brands?

No. A "long hike" for me is 10 days at a time. The Wigwams stand up well to 10 day hikes.

The_Saint
06-07-2010, 23:44
No. A "long hike" for me is 10 days at a time. The Wigwams stand up well to 10 day hikes.

Lol. I have had Darn Tough socks that I thru hiked with and continue to use regularly. A sock that only lasts 10 days is a poor investment.

njordan2
06-07-2010, 23:48
Fox River socks. There is nothing better.

I have gotten blisters with every other brand of sock, but never with Fox River. They are made in the USA, too. There is no seams in the sock that can be felt. Everything is flat and perfectly contoured to the foot.

Their prices are competitive, but I cannot tell you how long they last, as mine have not worn out since I got them 4 years ago. I have a pair I have been wearing weekly for the last 4 years and they still have not worn out after hundreds upon hundreds of miles. I wash them in the washing machine and dry them in the dryer.

Fox River socks are the best. Here is a link to check out their selection:
http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/shoponline.aspx (http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/shoponline.aspx)

JAK
06-08-2010, 00:06
I look for socks that are all thread or yarn, without extra fluff knit in.
Socks with fluff knit in might make good sneakers, but not good hiking socks.
You should be able to recognize a good sock without looking at brandnames.
It is not that difficult to make your own judgement with looking at brandnames.

will1972
06-08-2010, 01:11
I'm a lineman. I wear Smartwool light hikers everyday with heavy steel toe boots. Usually get 18 months to 2 years per pair. Contact Smartwool and see what they will do for you. I bet theY will help you out, typically very good stuff. Baselayers are great too, but way overpriced.

JAK
06-08-2010, 01:16
Most of my smartwool stuff is great, but this one pair is real crap, so much so that I almost think they might be cheap knockoffs. Still, quality does vary considerably within a brandname or trademark. That is my overwhelming experience. So I learn to be critical with each item I buy, and generally disregard brandnames and trademarks. I've gotten sucked in too many times.

mudhead
06-08-2010, 09:02
I have had good luck with Smart Wools -- and bad luck, more recently.

Weary

Same here. Columbia buyout? If Darn Tough fit your feet, they are a nice sock.

06-08-2010, 16:24
ceratinly appreciate all the valuable feedback!
not to complicate the unecessary...
what about "keen" socks? :)
peace!

wrongway_08
06-08-2010, 16:49
Wear nothing but them. Great pants and shirts also. If I could stop loosing the hats I could say I wear them 100% of the time also but seems I have a knack for loosing $22.00 hats everytime I go out .......

Never had them rip - well had a pair of liner pants rip but that was because the snagged on a branch - had nothing to do with the company.

Nean
06-08-2010, 19:01
Fox River socks. There is nothing better.

What are the others you have used? How much walking do you do in them? I believe I had a pair of those once that I liked. I never had any luck with smartwools, though they do make for a good sleeping sock. I'm a big darn tough fan these days. Dollar store dress socks work good in the summer too.:)

Black Oak
06-08-2010, 19:30
I mostly waer Smartwool sock. I actually am wearing them now. I have found that Icebreaker socks wear longer.

neighbor dave
06-08-2010, 19:43
:-? you could try buying them, or any wool sock the next size up and wash and dry them hot, this will tighten the weave and slow the loss of the fuzz. kinda like boiled wool.

blackfootmigrator
06-08-2010, 20:51
I swear by Smart Wool . I have a pair I recieved as a gift from 1998 and It just found a hole in the top of the sock. 11 years is not bad ! They are worth the money in my opinion.

bluffhead
06-09-2010, 02:59
everyone i know swears by these socks but i wore the smart wool hikers in iraq for 13 months and by the end they were pilled and heels worn through. i did not walk much tho 6 miles top a day maybe the heat ate them away. i would not reccommend them forwhat they cost tho. note rotation of 8 pairs"

Mr. Clean
06-09-2010, 06:02
I'll echo the fact that Smartwools seem to be not holding up as well as they used to, but I still wear them daily, seven days a week. I do buy the "imperfect" ones on occasion at the outlets, so maybe those are the ones that are going more quickly. I love them, and am sure I get my moneys worth.

EasternBox
06-09-2010, 08:24
Paying for smartwool, keen, etc just seems dumb to me. $18 for one pair of socks? I'm not doing that. I have been using a thin womens sock (No Nonsense) for summer with a mesh weave on the top of the foot for breathability and I never get blisters. Cost is $4.50 for 3 pair.