PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions.

Captain Trips
06-08-2010, 11:57
Hello everyone,
I am planning NOBO next year and have a few questions. I have been planning this hike for about four years and decided recently that I would like to do a fundraiser as part of my hike. I am a dog trainer at the Humane Society in Blairsville, GA and thought I could raise some money for them as I hike. Do any of you have any charity hiking experience and is it worth the hassle. I wont be handling any of the money, it will all be done through the shelter.
I was also wondering how much experience any of you have with taking a dog on a thru hike. I know dogs are not allowed in SNP and BSP and am willing to carry the extra weight for my dog. My biggest worry is the health and happiness of the dog. He is in great shape and has hiked hundreds of miles with me but I don't know how well dogs hold up over a six month hike. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

hellomolly
06-08-2010, 12:00
:welcome

I would strongly recommend visiting the specific Dogs on the AT forum for your dog related question, lest this thread turn into another oh-so-helpful dog hiker-bashing fest.... probably better to go to the specific forum related to this topic fo answers on that.

Jack Tarlin
06-08-2010, 12:13
I think the idea of a charity hike for the Humane Society is a wonderful idea.

I suggest you do a search on "Charity hikes" or "Fundraiser hikes" as this subject has been raised here before on Whiteblaze.

What a lot of folks will tell you is something like this:

*The idea of a charity hike is great, but that's what it should be.....it should
be a hike for the charity, meaning that it's certainly OK to seek out some
sponsorships for some of your gear or whatever, but NONE of the donated
funds should be used in any way shape or form to pay for your trip,
expenses, etc. I think your comment about the shelter handling all the
money is GREAT; this is how ALL charity hikes should operate.

*While it's certainly OK to let people know about your charity while you're
hiking, try and be low-key about this, i.e. don't ever put people in the
position of feeling guilty because they're not interested in donating to your
cause. The biggest complaint about folks hiking for charity is that whether
or not they realize it, they often DO put people on the spot, lay a guilt trip
on them, whatever, and this turns a lot of folks off. Certainly, some of the
people you'll meet while en route will be interested in your cause and may
wish to help you, but go easy on this. Your trip will be a great way to
bring awareness to your charity, but most of your actual fund-raising and
pledging or whatever should take place BEFORE you start hiking and not
after.

I think this is a great cause. Good luck with your trip!!

Ladytrekker
06-08-2010, 12:14
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=295659

This is the trail journal of a girl thru hiking with her dog this year. She talks alot about Kelly (the dog) throughtout her journal along with alot of the issues involved with hiking with a dog. She at one point had to get booties for the dog because the pads became soft due to terrain. I suggest you read it very informative and a really good trail journal also.

Captain Trips
06-08-2010, 12:49
Thanks for your help guys. It looks like hiking with a dog is a blessing and a curse. I hadn't even though about sponsorship Jack. It sounds like a good idea but I can see how a lot of people might not like it.

Blissful
06-08-2010, 13:49
Dogs are allowed in SNP on a leash, its the Smokies where they are not.

Captain Trips
06-08-2010, 17:18
Sorry, i meant the Smokies. I didn't think about Shenandoah.