PDA

View Full Version : Harper's ferry to penn/mar

Chif
06-08-2010, 15:51
How difficult is this section? Can it be done comfortably in 3 days? Any information is appreciated?

the goat
06-08-2010, 16:17
definitely a 3-day comfort hike. enjoy!

Jack Tarlin
06-08-2010, 16:44
Assuming you're in OK shape, 3 days is fine. From Harpers Ferry to Pen-Mar is just over 40 miles; to the MD/PA state line is just a little bit further.

Assuming you get an early start on Day 1, 3 days should be fine, otherwise plan on finishing up by mid-day of Day 4.

Pedaling Fool
06-08-2010, 16:48
Not much in the way of up and downs, but it is a little rocky.

Namaste
06-08-2010, 17:48
I did this section in 3 nights/4 days last July at a very leisurely rate so, yes, it could be done in 3 days. It was a very pleasant hike, as mentioned by john gault not much in ups and downs but rocky.

TheCheek
06-08-2010, 22:44
If it can be done in 1 day then it can be done in 3.

Corkscrew
06-08-2010, 23:19
3 days is certainly a comfort hike. I would go southbound....its a long climb out of Harpers Ferry going north. I finished the section about 3 weeks ago. The springs were all running good except Ensign Cowell. The New Shelter at Rocky Run is spectacular......

twosticks
06-09-2010, 10:11
3 days is certainly a comfort hike. I would go southbound....its a long climb out of Harpers Ferry going north. I finished the section about 3 weeks ago. The springs were all running good except Ensign Cowell. The New Shelter at Rocky Run is spectacular......

I would advise against going southbound. My wife and I did this and hated the 3 mile hike on the C&O canal path at the end. That would have been way more enjoyable at the beginning.

Lone Wolf
06-09-2010, 10:14
How difficult is this section? Can it be done comfortably in 3 days? Any information is appreciated?

about as easy as it gets. 3 days will be easy

sore ankle
06-12-2010, 07:34
Did this section 2 years ago NOBO with my son-in-law. Pretty easy hiking, except the last 2-3 miles were a bit rocky. We had scheduled it for 3 days but did it in 2 days because we were pressed for time. The first day was one of those rare situations where the longer we hiked, the better I felt, and we ended up camping at Dahlgren. The second day we just cruised. Be sure to catch the view at High Rock, about 3 miles south of Pen Mar and 0.1 miles off the AT. It is spectacular.

amclumberjack
06-13-2010, 13:33
I would advise against going southbound. My wife and I did this and hated the 3 mile hike on the C&O canal path at the end. That would have been way more enjoyable at the beginning.

as much as that part is a pain to end on it is nice this time of year to be abel to end your hike with a swim in the river were as going north ther is no such luck for cooling down

fredmugs
06-14-2010, 10:18

I did this section NOBO and the climb is long but easy and by easy I mean no obstacles along the trail - just walk uphill. It was still dark when I left Harpers and got to the shelter at sunrise which was awesome!