PDA

View Full Version : HEY!! We resemble that remark. Internet criticism of whiteblaze.

Disney
06-08-2010, 16:56
I don't know what sick, twisted, jovial, evil mind created this, but they insulted us when they did.

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com/

Under the links page, whiteblaze.net is described as:

An excellent website for information on backpacking, plus all sorts or fervent debate on unimportant issues.

This really bothers me and I would like to discuss it at length. Is this justified? Are the issues we discuss unimportant? If we think they're important, doesn't mean that mean that they are? Who does this guy think he is?

BigFoot2002
06-08-2010, 17:05
Ok, I get the joke, but I'll post anyway. Who ever said that is totally correct. There is a lot of good information on backpacking, also a lot of bad information on backpacking. If I weren't a backpacker, I don't know how I'd tell the difference, now that I think about it.

Now please feel free to fervently debate this and all other issues that come to mind, I'm going for a walk.

Lugnut
06-08-2010, 17:08
An excellent website for information on backpacking, plus all sorts or fervent debate on unimportant issues.

Sounds about right to me. :p

East Coast Alex
06-08-2010, 17:08
I've seen WhiteBlaze scorned on countless other websites.

One particular comment that sticks out in my mind is the criticism which went roughly as thus:

"WhiteBlaze, a forum that preaches the doctrine of Hike Your Own Hike (HYOK), but then proceeds to tell you exactly how to hike your hike."

Or something like that. :)

emerald
06-08-2010, 17:10
Ok, I get the joke, but I'll post anyway. Who ever said that is totally correct. There is a lot of good information on backpacking, also a lot of bad information on backpacking. If I weren't a backpacker, I don't know how I'd tell the difference, now that I think about it.

Now please feel free to fervently debate this and all other issues that come to mind, I'm going for a walk.

Don't take off already. Thinking minds may want you to explain yourself after others insist it isn't so.

It's how I ended up here 6.219 posts ago. Someone who couldn't make heads or tails of WhiteBlaze.net wanted to know how to prepare for a through hike. Imagine that!

Deadeye
06-08-2010, 17:12
Many others will wonder if they should!

berkshirebirder
06-08-2010, 17:55
plus all sorts or fervent debate on unimportant issues.

Correction. They meant to say "fermented debate."

Nean
06-08-2010, 18:34
Correction. They meant to say "fermented debate."

Now we're talking :D
and "it's just walking" :eek:
and the world would turn another day :-?
without the opinons of whiteblaze ;)

It's fun and there is a lot to be discovered here- enjoy!:p

warraghiyagey
06-08-2010, 18:48
Maybe if there was less joking around here and more seriousness when posting that would help. . .

Hikes in Rain
06-08-2010, 19:04
What fun would that be??

TD55
06-08-2010, 19:49
Maybe if there was less joking around here and more seriousness when posting that would help. . .

Maybe if there was less seriousness around here and more joking when posting that would help.....

Seeker
06-08-2010, 19:50
i picked 'of course not', since at the time, it was behind in the poll. :D

TrailSquirrel
06-08-2010, 20:14
It looks like it's Jester's site...so take it all as good natured "jest".

Sarcasm the elf
06-08-2010, 20:19
As long as that site requires FlashPlayer in order to view it, no criticism of their's is justified.

Sent from my iPhone

woodsy
06-08-2010, 20:38

Maybe if there was less seriousness around here and more joking when posting that would help.....

Hiking is serious business, thats why little joking around is allowed here :D
You could have a heart attack , rotten feet, broken leg/ankle, brain cramp and get lost, bear attack, heat stroke, wind chilled, etc. etc.. very serious business this thing called hiking.:D

TD55
06-08-2010, 21:06
You could have a heart attack , rotten feet, broken leg/ankle, brain cramp and get lost, bear attack, heat stroke, wind chilled, etc. etc.. very serious business this thing called hiking.:D

Geez, thats a lot of stuff to happen to a hiker all at the same time. I wouldn't even know how to react if all that came at me and happened to me all at once. How did you handle it Woodsy?

sbhikes
06-08-2010, 21:42
> An excellent website for information on backpacking, plus all sorts or fervent debate on unimportant issues.

Doesn't this topic prove it?

WagThatTAIL
06-08-2010, 21:58
Newbie here and very first post. I gotta say that I love Whiteblaze.net. Team WagThatTAIL has hiked a few trails in the Middle Tennessee area and we do not claim to be "experienced" or even "knolwdgeable". I come to this forum because I want to learn from other people's mistakes thus not repeating them myself, the gear reviews and because I want to learn more about the AT before I even set foot on it. I think I can tell the difference between someone posting a serious coversation point and the other side of the spectrum for a silly comment. BTW, what the heck is a "brain cramp" woodsy?
All that being said and that I have paid attention to the gear revews I am very happy in the things that I have gone out and bought so far because of this forum. I really like the Kelty 3100 that I bought. I got a great deal on a MSR WindPro from craigslist and think it was a good buy. I have a REI wishlist that includes a Petzl TacTikka, Mormot Trestles, therm-a-rest, GSI Pinnacle Dualist Cook System and maybe a Platypus CleanStream water filter. Mainly the Mrs. and I are looking to do more overnight camping and weekend trips before we start a section hike schedule.

So yeah, when someone says - An excellent website for information on backpacking, plus all sorts or fervent debate on unimportant issues- I would agree but this site is awesome. WagThatTAIL may not set foot on the AT anytime soon but damn this site is informative and entertaining. Thank you all.

Hooch
06-08-2010, 22:02
Wizards of the PCT is Jester's site, if I remember correctly and the man's right. What's the problem?

Tin Man
06-08-2010, 22:06
the jealous and weak slackers always talk trash about the strong front runner

.. um, which are we?

Tin Man
06-08-2010, 22:09
Wizards of the PCT is Jester's site, if I remember correctly and the man's right. What's the problem?

no problems when you are right

... left is another story :D

Gray Blazer
06-08-2010, 22:37
Whatever!

I don't go to any other sites so I wouldn't know.

Like Warrggie said ... maybe if people were more serious.

Lugnut
06-08-2010, 22:42
It only proves the point as to what level the discourse on this site has reached when Warraghy is looked to as the voice of reason! :eek:

warraghiyagey
06-08-2010, 22:45
It only proves the point as to what level the discourse on this site has reached when Warraghy is looked to as the voice of reason! :eek:
I know, right? . . .

Wise Old Owl
06-08-2010, 22:50

No Joke...They are just jealous.

I've seen WhiteBlaze scorned on countless other websites.

So what, sucks they don't have the membership

One particular comment that sticks out in my mind is the criticism which went roughly as thus:

"WhiteBlaze, a forum that preaches the doctrine of Hike Your Own Hike (HYOK), but then proceeds to tell you exactly how to hike your hike."

Or something like that. :)

Hmmm, Karma and a touch of spit.

No problem here.

OK so what was Wharg doing right now?:banana

warraghiyagey
06-08-2010, 22:57
OK so what was Wharg doing right now?:banana
I wish I knew . . . :rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
06-08-2010, 23:15
I wish I knew . . . :rolleyes:

Hopfully workin on the voice of reason.... :-?

Now for those that don't get the message .... Lets us heal together....

Be the voice!!!

Feel the power!!

Get the together and HIKE! Recharge!

Sorry ... Just a moment of silence.... Ok I feel better.:cool:

Gray Blazer
06-08-2010, 23:19
WB is rascist too cuz there's no white or black smilies!!

:( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :) :confused: :-?

Wrangler88
06-09-2010, 01:49
WB is rascist too cuz there's no white or black smilies!!

:( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :) :confused: :-?

Hah, that's pretty funny.

Jester2000
06-09-2010, 01:59
Haha! I love a good fervent debate on unimportant issues. See "Slightly Off Topic" and "The Argument Thread."

I will crush Disney later, when I feel like so doing.

In the meantime, I have to admit that WOO is right -- I'm just jealous. So jealous, in fact, that I started a website that isn't a forum and offers no advice whatsoever. That has a link to whiteblaze.

I apparently suck at displaying jealousy, but I promise I'll work on it.

woodsy
06-09-2010, 05:53
Geez, thats a lot of stuff to happen to a hiker all at the same time. I wouldn't even know how to react if all that came at me and happened to me all at once. How did you handle it Woodsy?

I remained calm , did not panic, and chalked it up as
a bad day of hiking. :)

Newbie here and very first post.
I think I can tell the difference between someone posting a serious coversation point and the other side of the spectrum for a silly comment. BTW, what the heck is a "brain cramp" woodsy?
but damn this site is informative and entertaining. Thank you all.

Brain cramp( go ahead, click on it) :D (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brain-cramp)

Old Hiker
06-09-2010, 07:48

Fine, fine, been there, done that, had my T-shirt stolen, but what about
your pack weight, what type of stove were you using, DID you use a stove, were there feral cats around, did you hear/were you snoring, how many pounds of food were you taking per day, DID you take food or were you grazing along the Trail and in the hiker boxes, did you have a map or GPS or were you so competent/arrogant/naive that you needed neither, tent/hammock/tarp tent/shelter/cowboy camping or was this a virtual hike, did you use your SPOT before or after the aforementioned trivial details, was this before or after Trail Days (DURING?!?! YIKES!!!), are you now or have you ever been a Trail maintainer/community organizer/religious fanatic/hell-bound atheist, approach trail or start at Springer/Kahtadin, SOBO, NOBO, YOYO, HOHO or Twinky, boots, sandals, barefoot, Five Finger discount, down or synthetic, what size knife, what caliber handgun, were you listening to your ipod/cell phone/someone singing the "Happy Wanderererererererer", how many hiking sticks did you have, were you using wood poles, aluminum or TI cookware, do you advocate underwear/commando/kilt, were you selling/buying used/new/barely touched gear, were you looking for "earthy" females/males, how old were you when you first started hiking/did your thru/summited Katadin, can you use punctuation, kin ya spel, did you dehydrate before your hike, how many cups are in your cooking set, how many tents/sleeping bags/sleeping pads/cook sets/packs do you own, was your dog with you, are you a donating member of White Blaze, was a dog the CAUSE of the incidents, how many posts have you done on WhiteBlaze, have you flamed anyone, have you started/continued/shut down a thread, were you able to yogi during the incidents and did you feel guilty when doing so or not, did you post your gear list before/during/after hiking, was this explained in great, loving, boring, exciting detail in your Trail Journal, did you HAVE a Trail Journal, and were you sleeping with your food or did you hang it?????

C'mon, we need the IMPORTANT details of your hike!!!!

Except if you were sleeping with your food, either I don't wanna know or you need to check the cannabalism thread for recipes.

Gray Blazer
06-09-2010, 08:01
I think we should all head over to the PinkBlaze website.

berkshirebirder
06-09-2010, 09:06
4-star post, Old Hiker. Hilarious!

There's a cannibalism thread?

Old Hiker
06-09-2010, 09:43
4-star post, Old Hiker. Hilarious!

There's a cannibalism thread?

Yep. I believe it was moved to the Hiking Humor section for some unexplainable reason, but I don't see it there anymore. Good thing I got the recipes I was looking for before it was deleted. Do a search for "cannibal" to bring it back up. DO NOT spell it "cannabal" as I did the first time!

berkshirebirder
06-09-2010, 11:13
I believe it was moved to the Hiking Humor section for some unexplainable reason, but I don't see it there anymore.

Someone ate it.

berkshirebirder
06-09-2010, 11:21
Oh yes, Dr. Richard Cranium's cannibalism thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57945&highlight=cannibal

It was January, probably a cold and stormy night. Maybe that explains it.

Yukon
06-09-2010, 11:33
Who cares...

Monkeyboy
06-09-2010, 16:03
I wouldn't expect anything less from Jester.......... :)

Blue Jay
06-09-2010, 16:27
Oh yes, Dr. Richard Cranium's cannibalism thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57945&highlight=cannibal

It was January, probably a cold and stormy night. Maybe that explains it.

I find it hysterical:banana that cannibalism is NEVER censored but the topic the AT is totally based on cannot even be mentioned as a side note. How about some recipies?

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2010, 17:30
Haha! I love a good fervent debate on unimportant issues. See "Slightly Off Topic" and "The Argument Thread."

In the meantime, I have to admit that WOO is right -- I'm just jealous. So jealous, in fact, that I started a website that isn't a forum and offers no advice whatsoever. That has a link to whiteblaze.

I apparently suck at displaying jealousy, but I promise I'll work on it.

WOW, THANKS... I don't get that very often,

Foyt20
06-09-2010, 17:59
If it walks like a duck...

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2010, 18:07
If it walks like a duck...

What! OWLS dont walk like ducks or wear them... :-?

Marta
06-09-2010, 18:15
Before Whiteblaze, what did hikers do when they weren't hiking?

Work? Yuck.

Sit around alone, drinking?

Now hikers can sit around alone, in front of their computers, and drink, and insult each other.

Human progress is a wonderful thing!

Foyt20
06-09-2010, 18:34
All hail Progress!!!! :D

RedneckRye
06-10-2010, 01:02
I really want to rant about all sorts of offensive stuff (aka $#!+) but I won't clog up a thread about whoever is the cause of this.
That being said, whoever started this silliness was probably someone who has
BEEN CONFUSING AND IRRITATING THE HUMORLESS SINCE 2001.

Jester2000
06-10-2010, 01:55
I really want to rant about all sorts of offensive stuff (aka $#!+) but I won't clog up a thread about whoever is the cause of this.
That being said, whoever started this silliness was probably someone who has
BEEN CONFUSING AND IRRITATING THE HUMORLESS SINCE 2001.

Or, alternately, annoying and confusing the humorless since 2000.

Nean
06-10-2010, 02:17
Or, alternately, annoying and confusing the humorless since 2000.

I have no idea what you are talking about and I'm mad as hell.:eek:

Gray Blazer
06-10-2010, 07:21
I find it hysterical:banana that cannibalism is NEVER censored but the topic the AT is totally based on cannot even be mentioned as a side note. How about some recipies?

Ironical, ain't it.

The Old Fhart
06-10-2010, 07:48
Nean-"I have no idea what you are talking about and I'm mad as hell.:eek:I know exactly what you mean.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX8s63lQlL8&feature=related)

turtle fast
06-10-2010, 11:35
Some people just don't get humor!!!!!! They want facts and figures....just the facts and figures.....period. Part of the AT experience is interaction is with other hikers. We can provide facts and figures but darn it you will also get a dose of 'how to corral a shelter kitty' too. ;)

Fiddleback
06-10-2010, 13:40
I don't know what sick, twisted, jovial, evil mind created this, but they insulted us when they did.

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com/

Under the links page, whiteblaze.net is described as:

This really bothers me and I would like to discuss it at length. Is this justified? Are the issues we discuss unimportant? If we think they're important, doesn't mean that mean that they are? Who does this guy think he is?

There should be no offense in spoken truth. The description of WB presented in the OP is accurate. But it's not comprehensive or all inclusive.

As for importance... "If we think they're important, doesn't (it) mean that they are?" Yes. If we/they think they're unimportant, doesn't it mean that they are? Yes.

I fervently think that clears things up.:D

FB

TD55
06-10-2010, 15:11
But where else would someone go to find out what the lightest weight shoelace is and where to get them? BTW, what is the lightest weight shoelace and where do you get them?
And also, .......feral cats and shelter kittys.

Old Hiker
06-10-2010, 16:32
...........We can provide facts and figures but darn it you will also get a dose of 'how to corral a shelter kitty' too. ;)

"Corral". Is that Hungarian for "saute"? ;)

Disney
06-10-2010, 22:54

For the record. I was completely serious and not joking in any way.

Bring it Jester. RIFF RAFF!!

See what I did there, I've been a double agent this entire time.

Jester2000
07-06-2010, 02:08
For the record. I was completely serious and not joking in any way.

Bring it Jester. RIFF RAFF!!

See what I did there, I've been a double agent this entire time.

I believe you have violated the copyright I have on the phrase, "see what I did there?"

kanga
07-06-2010, 07:59
Down with unnerpants!!!

Gray Blazer
07-06-2010, 08:35
HC down again? You wanna talk about some critiscm of WB ...

kanga
07-06-2010, 09:20
do you really have to be such an ass? why do you think i won't talk to you?

sheepdog
07-06-2010, 09:31
try and be nice

if that don't work

try again

Jester2000
07-06-2010, 10:54
Down with unnerpants!!!

I have a pair that has a sign on them saying "In Case of Emergency Pull Down."

Gaiter
07-06-2010, 11:04
not reading this whole thread but that isn't criticism, its a description, I would even go so far as saying a nice description at that

berkshirebirder
07-06-2010, 11:19
a nice description at that --gaiter

Agree. WB is a community, not a catalog of facts and figures.

couscous
07-06-2010, 11:35
plus all sorts or fervent debate on unimportant issues.

No Such A Thing As a Warraghiyagey
14,522 Replies, 432,362 Views

Tin Man
07-06-2010, 12:13

send me your address and i will send you a case of velveeta to go with that incessant whine of yours

Gaiter
07-06-2010, 12:49
Agree. WB is a community, not a catalog of facts and figures.

i was refering to the 2nd half of the description

kanga
07-06-2010, 13:18
I have a pair that has a sign on them saying "In Case of Emergency Pull Down."
are you having an emergency? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/whistling.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Tin Man
07-06-2010, 13:28
are you having an emergency? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/whistling.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

i think it's for when YOU have an emergency... and that whistle looks close to if not rightly so an emergency :D

Gray Blazer
07-06-2010, 20:14
send me your address and i will send you a case of velveeta to go with that incessant whine of yours

I get the message. :o

BTW, I like velveeta. :D

Gray Blazer
07-06-2010, 20:17
do you really have to be such an ass? why do you think i won't talk to you?

Oh.

kanga
07-06-2010, 20:53

The Cleaner
07-06-2010, 21:28
All I can say is that after hiking on the AT for 30 years some hikers haven't learned that firepits are not the place to dump what ever you no longer want to carry......

Gray Blazer
07-06-2010, 21:43
All I can say is that after hiking on the AT for 30 years some hikers haven't learned that firepits are not the place to dump what ever you no longer want to carry......

Is that a metaphor?

DavidNH
07-06-2010, 22:25
hmm.. I tend to agree with the PCT statement.

Any of you folks ever notice how a simple post can go on for 20 + pages or so long that no one could or wants to read it all? and how so often a given thread morphs into something completely unrelated to the original post?

Will the day ever come where Warren and Jack can just get along?

There is a ton of great information on this site but often it requires a lot of sifting through the much to find the gold!

David

Lugnut
07-06-2010, 22:48

And furthermore: ...................................

Graywolf
07-07-2010, 00:18

Oh, those were firepits? Damn, and all along I thought those were the hiker boxes...

Nearly Normal
07-07-2010, 01:40
You wanna talk about some critiscm of WB ...

Have you seen Bigfoot lately?

Gray Blazer
07-07-2010, 08:45

Et tu, NN.

Graywolf
07-07-2010, 13:25

Yeah, just yesterday...

sheepdog
07-07-2010, 13:27
hmm.. I tend to agree with the PCT statement.

Any of you folks ever notice how a simple post can go on for 20 + pages or so long that no one could or wants to read it all? and how so often a given thread morphs into something completely unrelated to the original post?

Will the day ever come where Warren and Jack can just get along?

There is a ton of great information on this site but often it requires a lot of sifting through the much to find the gold!

David
sometime the sifting is the most fun

Gray Blazer
07-08-2010, 19:48

For some reason I can't send you a PM so here goes for the last time.

The truth hurts.

I'm sure you guys never talk about me.

The rules have changed for me, but I won't criticize.

Now go play with your little friends.

To keep on topic ... those who criticize WB are poopie heads.