PDA

View Full Version : for class of 2011

bluffhead
06-09-2010, 04:08
im curious to know how many of you have a full pack, ie has all of you baught all your thru hike supplys yet? or am i the only one that is incomplete

RETCW4
06-09-2010, 10:26
I am always upgrading, lowering weight, and buying new gear. I'll be ready March 31 for April 1.
Currently focusing on menus and purchasing food.

Tumbleweed

tortoise1
06-09-2010, 11:21
I am with RETCW4. Always changing. Always upgrading. I have my thru hikers companion and data book, but no maps yet, not sure if I'll get them or not yet. I have to get back to Alaska next month to grab all my BP gear and throw my truck on a barge to the lower 48. Have no idea what my base weight is yet. Have been buying food for three months now at an average of $200.oo a month. Have stove(s), pack, boots, hammock, clothes etc.... dialed in, but lots to get yet, and tons to do. Just bought a bad ass dehydrator. Plan on eating good. 9 months to go, no worries. Plan on leaving Springer early March. Winter will dictate departure. Good luck to all, looking forward to seeing you on the Trail.
Tortoise

Luddite
06-09-2010, 12:06
I'm trying to do this Ultralight thing right, so I'm researching gear. I did buy my pack( Granite Gear Vapor Trail), my stove(MSR Pocket Rocket), and my Boots(Vasques gore-tex).

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want a hammock. I could save a lot of weight with a tarp, but I'd be sacrificing a lot of comfort. I have everything picked out except for my shelter and a jacket.

slugger
06-09-2010, 12:47
I have about half of my gear. Still working on a pack and maybe a stove the weighs less. I'm almost there though!

Mountain Wildman
06-09-2010, 14:19
I started researching and buying back in September, I have everything I need to hit the A.T. right now. At this point I am shaking down and replacing gear to fine tune my set up and reduce pack weight and size of gear. Have a new Cooking pot setup, stove, Tent and GSI french press for coffee being delivered tomorrow and Friday.

FritztheCat
06-09-2010, 15:50
I've been accumulating and testing gear for the last two years. I'm ready! Takes a while to learn all the intricacies of the gear so having several "shakedown" hikes with the gear is a good idea.

See you out there!

on_the_GOEZ
06-09-2010, 15:57
I as well have all the necessary gear needed im just trying to downsize and reduce weight (I carry an Osprey atmos 35). Just purchased a 1 and 2 liter platy yesterday!

I am currently researching at new tarp for hammock and an overquilt, as I was cold on the LT last october with ONLY JRB's mt warshington 4. I am leaning towards the versatility and weight of the warbonnet Mamba. Also, a new ti pot with the correct alchy stove. As far as food goes, I learned that buying as I go will be the best bet so. Oh, and I guess ill need the thruhikers companion ... eventually ; ))

Goal: 4 lbs base weight (big three...or 4?)

@mountainwildman - Are you mailing all of your coffee for the trip? ive considered this because instant coffee gets old.. quick!

Luddite
06-09-2010, 16:14
@mountainwildman - Are you mailing all of your coffee for the trip? ive considered this because instant coffee gets old.. quick!

Have you tried the starbucks stuff? That Nestle instant isn't that bad.

on_the_GOEZ
06-09-2010, 16:31
Have you tried the starbucks stuff? That Nestle instant isn't that bad.
I have yet to try the starbucks stuff. My dad seems to think that It is worth it, but who knows. ive always camped with the Nestle stuff, and it isnt that bad, for being on the trail ; ) I was just thinking - it might be worth bringing a luxury item for the fresh-pressed coffee each morning.

All things considered, there is a wide array of edible plants available which one can substitute for coffee, which it might be worth foraging for.

Mountain Wildman
06-09-2010, 16:44
I as well have all the necessary gear needed im just trying to downsize and reduce weight (I carry an Osprey atmos 35). Just purchased a 1 and 2 liter platy yesterday!

I am currently researching at new tarp for hammock and an overquilt, as I was cold on the LT last october with ONLY JRB's mt warshington 4. I am leaning towards the versatility and weight of the warbonnet Mamba. Also, a new ti pot with the correct alchy stove. As far as food goes, I learned that buying as I go will be the best bet so. Oh, and I guess ill need the thruhikers companion ... eventually ; ))

Goal: 4 lbs base weight (big three...or 4?)

I don't have anyone that I can rely on to do mail drops so I will be buying supplies as I go, Coffee is a necessity, so I will likely start with a pound in a ziploc bag and buy more as needed, I don't do instant unless there is no other choice. Coffee is sold by the pound everywhere so I should have no problem. I originally bought the MSR Mugmate filter but was real unhappy with my coffee on Memorial Day Camping Trip so I ordered the GSI 30 oz. French Press, It is around 10 ounces in weight but like I said, To me coffee is a necessity, Almost more important than food. :)

on_the_GOEZ
06-09-2010, 16:49
To me coffee is a necessity, Almost more important than food. :)

I know that feeling! I will continue research and see what I can find. Thanks for the input!

Chenango
06-09-2010, 16:59
I will probably still be changing stuff out while on the trail. I never seem to be satisfied with what I have.

Mountain Wildman
06-09-2010, 17:02
To me coffee is a necessity, Almost more important than food. :)

I know that feeling! I will continue research and see what I can find. Thanks for the input!

You are welcome, If I end up hiking with someone next year, We may be able to split the coffee and only have to carry half a pound or less.

on_the_GOEZ
06-09-2010, 22:35
You are welcome, If I end up hiking with someone next year, We may be able to split the coffee and only have to carry half a pound or less.
HAHAH! Deal! If you carry the coffee, ill carry the press! Im leaving early may from Springer. How about you?

Mountain Wildman
06-09-2010, 22:48
HAHAH! Deal! If you carry the coffee, ill carry the press! Im leaving early may from Springer. How about you?

Planning on leaving in March, You will have to move fast and catch up, Don't worry though, I'll drink your share of the coffee until you catch up to me. So it won't go to waste!!:D

sidebackside
06-09-2010, 23:59
I will probably still be changing stuff out while on the trail. I never seem to be satisfied with what I have.

Same here Chenango.

on_the_GOEZ
06-10-2010, 00:01
Drink enough of that coffee and I WONT be able to catch you before katahdin. I am in good shape and move at a quicker pace, usually. well see, either way, hope to see ya oot and aboot!

DapperD
06-10-2010, 00:50
I don't have anyone that I can rely on to do mail drops so I will be buying supplies as I go, Coffee is a necessity, so I will likely start with a pound in a ziploc bag and buy more as needed, I don't do instant unless there is no other choice. Coffee is sold by the pound everywhere so I should have no problem. I originally bought the MSR Mugmate filter but was real unhappy with my coffee on Memorial Day Camping Trip so I ordered the GSI 30 oz. French Press, It is around 10 ounces in weight but like I said, To me coffee is a necessity, Almost more important than food. :)One other alternative is to carry the Folger's or other brand of Coffee Singles. In my opinion they are better than instant, but not quite as good as the regular ground coffee. They come in a box of something like 20, and they are in a tea bag which can easily be brewed in hot boiling water, and the nice thing is they are very light.

Chenango
06-10-2010, 09:01
Same here Chenango.
Sidebackside - it gets expensive unfortunatley. Thus, I am never to fast to pull the trigger on buying the new stuff.

Undershaft
06-10-2010, 13:36
I have almost everything I need to hike. The only thing I absolutely need are new boots. My faithful, wonderful Merrils finally died this spring. I am, however, looking into upgrading a lot of my gear for the hike and replacing a few items that are worn out or lost. When I first started backpacking I got inexpensive (read: heavy and bulky) gear and I'd like to replace a lot of it with lighter, smaller, more efficent equipment.

The items slated for replacement:
Pack - going to a smaller and lighter model
Sleeping bag - I think I'm going to switch to a down bag. I have no complaints about my synthetic bag. It's given me 10 years of trusty service, but down is lighter and packs smaller.
Rain Gear - In the past I've used cheap $0.98 ponchos and a heavy storm proof foul weather jacket. The poncho was light, but the jacket kept me dry. I'd like to find something that combines both qualities.
Long Underwear - What I have now is fine for the warmer months, but I'd like something better for the cold nights down South in early spring.
Music Player - I don't need it, but I want it. My current mp3 player doesn't have a lot of memory and needs to be plugged into a computer to recharge the battery.
Stove and Cookset - Again, my current set up is great, but I can reduce my pack weight if I replace it with a lighter stove.

Items to buy:
Maps - I only have maps for the Northern half of the trail and will have to buy maps for the South.
Boots - I had a great pair of Merrils that only gave me one blister ever, but after 500 miles they just didn't have any life left in them.
Camera Case - I dropped it in the ocean and it was last seen sailing merrily towards Portugal.
Socks, Underwear, maybe a couple Bandannas - These items are a little worn out so I'll replace them before the hike to save the trouble of replacing them a couple hundred miles up the trail.
Current Guidebook - The latest edition I have is from 2007, so I'll purchase the 2011 edition of the Companion when it comes out.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm trying to be very critical with my gear purchases. I could easily blow a grand or more on all new stuff, but I'd rather have that money for hiking. A lot of the little stuff I already have and will bring with me. It's just a handful of big items that will be upgraded, primarily to save weight.

Luddite
06-11-2010, 16:13
Rain Gear - In the past I've used cheap $0.98 ponchos and a heavy storm proof foul weather jacket. The poncho was light, but the jacket kept me dry. I'd like to find something that combines both qualities.

Have you heard of the Packa? Its a poncho and pack cover.

http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page346.html

Undershaft
06-13-2010, 16:48
I have heard of the Packa and it's one of the options I'm looking into for rain protection. Every review I've seen for it has been positive and it's a dual use piece of gear, which is always a plus.

Mountain Wildman
06-13-2010, 17:40
One other alternative is to carry the Folger's or other brand of Coffee Singles. In my opinion they are better than instant, but not quite as good as the regular ground coffee. They come in a box of something like 20, and they are in a tea bag which can easily be brewed in hot boiling water, and the nice thing is they are very light.

Never thought of that, Maybe I'll pick some up for my next trip.
The MSR MugMate filter does work but I did not get good results, Maybe the water was too hot, I poured right at the boiling point, I had to use the filter like a tea bag, moving it around and leaving it in longer, By the time I started to drink the coffee, it had already started to cool.

Mountain Wildman
06-13-2010, 17:46
I have heard of the Packa and it's one of the options I'm looking into for rain protection. Every review I've seen for it has been positive and it's a dual use piece of gear, which is always a plus.

I have the Packa, Haven't had to use it yet but Eddie Hinnant improved the new ones with seam taping, The original model apparently leaked at the seams but that is resolved and he has a few colors to choose from I believe. I have the XL Charcoal one and it fits me(5'11" and 280 lbs.) and my 68 Liter backpack quite well, Even with the pack stuffed real full.

Undershaft
06-14-2010, 08:15
I have the Packa, Haven't had to use it yet but Eddie Hinnant improved the new ones with seam taping, The original model apparently leaked at the seams but that is resolved and he has a few colors to choose from I believe. I have the XL Charcoal one and it fits me(5'11" and 280 lbs.) and my 68 Liter backpack quite well, Even with the pack stuffed real full.

How bulky is the Packa when you're not wearing it? Does it pack away easily? Do you know how much it weighs?

That was one of my concerns about new rain gear. I want something that will fold up small and stow easily without taking up much space in my pack. That's the problem with my current rain jacket, it's too bulky. It's totally rain and windproof, and even works well as a cold weather outer layer, but it takes up too much room inside (or even outside) my pack.

Luddite
06-14-2010, 11:09
Its 13 ounces. You can get an idea of the size of it from watching the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y6Belr3mrA&feature=PlayList&p=023B1190ADF90F86&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=41

Planeoljoe
06-14-2010, 15:56
ive got almost no gear so far but ive done so, so much research at this point it will take no time to get it all together. ive been looking at food heavily now and ive found that through my job ive got a lot of options that are cheaper and lighter then on the open market. ive decided on a pack, sleeping bag, purifier, bladder, and just about everything else. the boots are still an empty place on the list but i must have looked at hundreds of them. regardless it will all be obtained in the coming months in order to get used to the pack weight.

Mountain Wildman
06-14-2010, 17:38
How bulky is the Packa when you're not wearing it? Does it pack away easily? Do you know how much it weighs?

That was one of my concerns about new rain gear. I want something that will fold up small and stow easily without taking up much space in my pack. That's the problem with my current rain jacket, it's too bulky. It's totally rain and windproof, and even works well as a cold weather outer layer, but it takes up too much room inside (or even outside) my pack.

I don't have a scale to weigh mine but it is supposedly around 13 ounces, It does not feel heavy, 13 ounces sounds about right, It packs into it's own large zippered pocket and measures 14 1/2" X 9 1/2" X 2 1/2", Rolled up it measures 9 1/2" X 3", The soda can is 2 1/2" X 5" So rolled, it is about the size of 2 soda cans stacked on top of each other, It actually rolls up smaller than my Marmot Precip when rolled.

Luddite
06-14-2010, 20:30
I just bought my $130 potato chip bag (neoair) sleeping pad and my Snow Peak Trek 900 pot.

Mountain Wildman
06-14-2010, 20:35
I just bought my $130 potato chip bag (neoair) sleeping pad and my Snow Peak Trek 900 pot.

I have the NeoAir Large, Expensive? Yes, But it is sure comfortable and reflects your body heat back at you. I have a Snow Peak 600 and 700, Both are nice pieces of gear. My cook pot is on the way, I went with an Evernew Non-Stick Titanium 1900ML, I like the Non-Stick pots for cooking and real easy clean up, and the Lid is a non-stick fry pan.
Enjoy your new gear, I know you will.:)

on_the_GOEZ
06-15-2010, 01:40
I have the NeoAir Large, Expensive? Yes, But it is sure comfortable and reflects your body heat back at you. I have a Snow Peak 600 and 700, Both are nice pieces of gear. My cook pot is on the way, I went with an Evernew Non-Stick Titanium 1900ML, I like the Non-Stick pots for cooking and real easy clean up, and the Lid is a non-stick fry pan.
Wow! I was looking to use a SP Trek 700 as my MAIN cook pot. I havent purchased anything yet though. I think an almost 2 liter pot would take up about half of my pack! 8 )) Of course, if youre going to be drinking as much coffee as you say you are...

Luddite
06-15-2010, 13:04

I'm not too worried about the durability of the Neoair but I am worried about the noise of the plastic-like material. I move around alot when I sleep so I hope I don't keep anyone awake in the shelters.

You'll be able to cook some nice meals in that 1900ml pot. Did u mean 900ml or is it really 1900ml?

Mountain Wildman
06-15-2010, 16:47
I'm not too worried about the durability of the Neoair but I am worried about the noise of the plastic-like material. I move around alot when I sleep so I hope I don't keep anyone awake in the shelters.

You'll be able to cook some nice meals in that 1900ml pot. Did u mean 900ml or is it really 1900ml?

The 1900ML is correct, The pot with frypan lid weighs 10 ounces, not too bad, My SP 700 was bought early on and I realized it would be too small for my appetite, You don't get to be 285 lbs. by eating only ramen, I am also a messy cooker so if my meal is at the top of the pot, by the time its done, half of it would be on the ground. I have lightened my load in other areas so I have no problem with the weight of a good size pot, And the frypan lid will come in handy for frying nice and crispy Bacon, mmmm Bacon!!!
Evernew offers the same Non-Stick pot/frypan in a 900 and 1300 also. I prefer the Macaroni and cheese deluxe meals instead of the cheap little box ones with powdered cheese, I will need the larger pot for the macaroni. My SP700 is so light I will probably still bring it to boil water for Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate etc... It's only 5 ounces and I like my drinks to taste the way they were intended and not coffee with a hint of mac and cheese.:)

Mountain Wildman
06-15-2010, 16:55

Forgot to mention the NeoAir, I bought the fast and light repair kit which weighs as much as a sheet of paper, I always bring a repair kit no matter what type of mattress or pad I've used. It is a little noisy but from what I've read about Thru-Hiking, I and all other hikers will be so exhausted that it is unlikely that the noise will bother them or me for that matter.
I plan to use a tent and pitch away from the shelters to avoid rodent infiltration anyway, I am not planning to spend even one night in a shelter, I will probably hang around for social interaction and head to my camp at bedtime. I used my NeoAir over Memorial Day weekend and even though I had not done any hiking, I was tired enough that I did not notice the noise from the NeoAir, I also have the Thermarest fitted sheet on mine and then with the sleeping bag on top of that the noise was pretty well muffled.

Luddite
06-17-2010, 14:11
I just got my Neoair and love it. The videos on youtube make it look undurable and noisy. Its not noisy at all and feels durable and it's very comfortable even though my legs hang off of it. It seems like what ever will put a hole in the neoair would put a hole in any other inflatable mattress. It came with a little patch I think.

singingpilgrim
06-19-2010, 17:21
I don't have most of my gear yet. Just to throw that out there. I am gathering and accumulating, but I'm no where near done yet.

Undershaft
06-21-2010, 06:48
I don't have a scale to weigh mine but it is supposedly around 13 ounces, It does not feel heavy, 13 ounces sounds about right, It packs into it's own large zippered pocket and measures 14 1/2" X 9 1/2" X 2 1/2", Rolled up it measures 9 1/2" X 3", The soda can is 2 1/2" X 5" So rolled, it is about the size of 2 soda cans stacked on top of each other, It actually rolls up smaller than my Marmot Precip when rolled.

Thanks for the info!

Mountain Wildman
06-21-2010, 07:23
You are welcome!!
Glad to help.

turtle fast
06-21-2010, 16:14
I still need to narrow down my shelter..debating on freestanding or non-freestanding shelters. Possibly will get a Tarptent. I am getting some work done on my pack by the good folks at ULA (Great packs by thrus for thrus). I have to break in a pair of reserve boots for my hike. Order the 11' Companion.

art gypsy
06-21-2010, 21:53
I have about everything but the hiking poles and more food. I am using cheap poles this season and they have taken a beating. I will put new ones on my Christmas list. I am still debating whether to use my Artceryx Needle 65 pack or try to find a lighter one. I am concerned that this one won't give me quite enough room for the cold weather stuff. It is fine in the summer. My latest addition was a hennessy hyperlite hammock. I love it. It takes up way less room in the pack than my tent and I find laying in it relaxing. As for food, I am getting lots of backpacker's pantry meals on sale and then filling in the gaps. Every time I find a good sale, I spend $100 on food.

gopher
06-22-2010, 07:17
I am ready and have been for a year. The only item left is to lighten the hiker. Aerobics are a pain since I subscribe to the hound dog system of exercise
sleep eat bark repeat.

art gypsy
06-22-2010, 20:14
I've learned from experience section hiking that being physically fit makes the first couple of weeks a whole lot more poductive and enjoyable.

Luddite
06-22-2010, 20:39
I have about everything but the hiking poles and more food. I am using cheap poles this season and they have taken a beating. I will put new ones on my Christmas list. I am still debating whether to use my Artceryx Needle 65 pack or try to find a lighter one. I am concerned that this one won't give me quite enough room for the cold weather stuff. It is fine in the summer. My latest addition was a hennessy hyperlite hammock. I love it. It takes up way less room in the pack than my tent and I find laying in it relaxing. As for food, I am getting lots of backpacker's pantry meals on sale and then filling in the gaps. Every time I find a good sale, I spend $100 on food.

Where are you buying your backpacker's pantry meals?

art gypsy
06-28-2010, 14:34
I'm getting my Backpacker's Pantry meals from Sierra Online. I will buy a bunch every month or so until the hike.

Ogre
06-28-2010, 19:03
I'm getting my Backpacker's Pantry meals from Sierra Online. I will buy a bunch every month or so until the hike.

You're buying food from an 80's video game company?! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Entertainment) Wild!

:p Not trying to be snarky, just amused. Do you have an actual link? I'm JUST starting to think about food.

DapperD
07-01-2010, 01:15

You're buying food from an 80's video game company?! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Entertainment) Wild!

:p Not trying to be snarky, just amused. Do you have an actual link? I'm JUST starting to think about food.I think this is possibly where and what he is talking about:http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/23469_d-cooking/1009V_p-backpackers-pantry-vegetarian-gourmet-meal-packs-lightweight-2-person-3-day/

Ogre
07-04-2010, 00:06
I think this is possibly where and what he is talking about:http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/23469_d-cooking/1009V_p-backpackers-pantry-vegetarian-gourmet-meal-packs-lightweight-2-person-3-day/

Thanks, always good to have more sources for stuff. Right now I'm leaning towards resupplying mostly from supermarkets and outfitters on the trail. I will be able to get my wife to send stuff if necessary, but I'm not planning on relying on it.

I have most of my gear now. Missing some cold and wet weather gear, but not much else. I'll be taking it all out on an overnight next weekend, can't wait!

Speakeasy TN
07-07-2010, 20:21
I have yet to try the starbucks stuff. My dad seems to think that It is worth it, but who knows. ive always camped with the Nestle stuff, and it isnt that bad, for being on the trail ; ) I was just thinking - it might be worth bringing a luxury item for the fresh-pressed coffee each morning.

All things considered, there is a wide array of edible plants available which one can substitute for coffee, which it might be worth foraging for.

Fair warning! If I end up downwind of your French Press, I will not be held responsible for any accidents that may befall you!:-?

Speakeasy TN
07-07-2010, 20:37
Quote from Mtn. Wildman
, My SP 700 was bought early on and I realized it would be too small for my appetite, You don't get to be 285 lbs. by eating only ramen,

That's just great! Now I'm going to have to pick a start time where I don't have to keep peeking over my shoulder. I can see it now, "Hike faster, the big guys got that hungry look again!!!!!!!":-?

Cannabalism thread in our near future!

Mountain Wildman
07-07-2010, 22:03
Quote from Mtn. Wildman
, My SP 700 was bought early on and I realized it would be too small for my appetite, You don't get to be 285 lbs. by eating only ramen,

That's just great! Now I'm going to have to pick a start time where I don't have to keep peeking over my shoulder. I can see it now, "Hike faster, the big guys got that hungry look again!!!!!!!":-?

Cannabalism thread in our near future!

Don't worry, I've never eaten anyone yet and I don't plan to skimp on my food supplies just to shave weight off of my pack.:)

cwinkle
07-15-2010, 15:34
All I have is a list of things to buy. Luckily there is an REI in my neighborhood and Hudson Trail Outfitters. Preliminary list already totals $1800, but the list is pretty comprehensive. Haven't included things like rope, toothpaste, imodium.

DapperD
07-15-2010, 19:40
All I have is a list of things to buy. Luckily there is an REI in my neighborhood and Hudson Trail Outfitters. Preliminary list already totals $1800, but the list is pretty comprehensive. Haven't included things like rope, toothpaste, imodium.Definately do not forget the imodium, don't forget that!:D

mtnkngxt
07-19-2010, 01:16
Minus the last of my clothing and some major purchases August 1st I'm ready to go.

Just need to lock in on a pack. Either going with the MLD Ark or a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus.

Then just a matter of picking up some last minute things, and continuing to lighten stuff up between now and Trail Days.

My Big 4 right now are sitting at.

Either MLD Ark or Mariposa Plus
Montbell UL SS #3 25oz
Thermarest NeoAir Short 9oz
TarpTent Moment 28oz
(May switch up to an MLD SoloMid tarp depending on what kind of season we are having next May)

Heaviest Big 4 weight would be around 5 pounds. If I go with the tarp, I'd be around 3.

As far as cooking goes, MLD 850 with Trail Designs Caldera Cone, and a AGG cozy plus my MLD Ti Spoon. That will provide plenty of hot water for my Boil in Bag Meals.

My First Aid kit is sub 3oz

Water filtration is a Steripen Adventurer with Aqua Mira solution as backup.

Pack with 4-5 days of food and 1.5 liter of water should come in at sub 22lbs.

I figure I'll drop some more stuff over the winter and am shooting for 20lbs of pack weight to start off with.

gopher
07-21-2010, 08:07
My pack is ready all plans are made except for travel to Springer. Every time I read hiker sites I reevaluate my gear. This is my fear and uncertainty talking. I would think that the hiking I have done would lay these to rest. March is coming! See you on the trail.

kombiguy
08-14-2010, 15:05
I've got everything but a little food, and it's all packed. Sitting in the basement, just waiting to be picked up. The only thing I'm indecisive about i sthe bears cannister.

Luddite
08-14-2010, 16:53
I've got everything but a little food, and it's all packed. Sitting in the basement, just waiting to be picked up. The only thing I'm indecisive about i sthe bears cannister.

When in doubt leave it home. It can be a pain in the ass to hang food sometimes but Its definitely a lighter option.

RichardD
09-13-2010, 23:46
I thought I had all the gear I will need but a couple of 20 degree nights on the JMT which I have just finished show that I need something warmer.
I use a hammock with a nest underquilt and WM 20 degree bag and with a full complement of clothing I was too cold to sleep when the temperature fell to around 20 on a couple of occasions.
I am contemplating the purchase of a winter nest and perhaps a 5 degree WM bag, a lot of money but if thats what it takes to enjoy my adventure of a lifetime then so be it.
I am unsure whether I want to take my ZIP woodburning stove or purchase a Caldera cone alcohol set. The Zip has a lot of advantages, the luxury of hot water in which to wash and a hot waterbottle being the greatest, the disadvantage being more difficult operation when the weather is wet and illegal operation in some states.
For food I mix bulk freeze dried ingredients in ziplocks and that has provided me with a great varied and healthy diet. I plan on prepackaging 8 day supplies and telling my wife where and when to ship them as I move along the trail. That way I just need to think two weeks or so ahead and can easily make up any differences at town stops.
Concerns:
Will I need to carry an air matress through the Smokies in case I have to sleep in a shelter rather than my hammock?
Will the ZIP prove to be a problem in some states where fires are not allowed or is the mileage in these states small enough that I only have to eat cold for a few days. (I have not researched this enough but perhaps someone who has used a woodburner already knows the answer)
I have not researched the "Whites" to know whether the hammock and woodburning stove are practical there. Should I mail them ahead and use the expensive huts? or is it feasable/desireable to descent to the trees most nights.
(I carried a Neo on the JMT and went to ground only one night)
I expect to start around the second or third week of March, weather permitting.

goodolenate
09-21-2010, 12:58
I'm pretty much set with most of my gear and my pack. I hiked up to Springer last Saturday and it all works pretty well. I figure between now and the spring I can shave around 7lbs off my gear load.

I'm carry a bit more than most people with a current base load (no food, no water) at 34lbs. However, that include 7lbs of camera gear that I'm still uncertain about carrying as well as a 6lbs tent that I'm hoping to replace. I'm a larger guy (6'5'' 270lbs) so I tend to not fit very well into 1 person tents and I can't deal with bivy camping.

I loaded my pack up with an approximation of trail food and 5L of water which brought my carry load to 52 lbs. I know I can shave a good bit off, but I think I may go and do a section of the trail in November to decided what I really want to loose off my pack.

I'm lucky that I live only an hour from Spring, so I can actually test of my loads on the trail itself.

redwing
09-22-2010, 07:59
:sunEverything is ready to go 'cept the rain jacket/wind breaker. Looking for a lighter, dryer, cheaper, longer jacket...but aren't we all looking for that in a jacket?

Doing the second "test-the-gear" hike this coming week out of Fontana Dam.

cotter
09-22-2010, 19:17
I have a full set of gear, but am transitioning from mid-weight to light/ultra-light now. Ideally I'll keep my weight between 20-30 lbs., but I'm not going to break the bank trying to do it. I'm basically starting with my weekend warrior stuff and will try to pare down over the course of the winter.

I don't have travel plans to Springer, meals, or an itinerary. So I'd say I'm only about 25% prepared, but we do have 6 months or so still.

When I see hikers measuring grams I laugh and think about the hikers who HAD to carry 50-70 lbs. to do the trip. We are a truly fortunate generation.

Turtle Feet
09-22-2010, 23:15
I hear 'ya - it's sort of like watching sporting records fall because equipment, or training has come so far.

redwing
09-23-2010, 06:05
I am ready and have been for a year. The only item left is to lighten the hiker. Aerobics are a pain since I subscribe to the hound dog system of exercise
sleep eat bark repeat.

I'm in the smae spot...already getting tired of the gym, but recognize it's better to die slowly right now than to die FAST on the climb up:eek:

redwing
09-23-2010, 10:10
:bananaWeighted the pack this morning...including cold weather gear...excluding food and water and was stunned...21 pounds. That includes a Thermorest pad (for old age comfort) and an Eureka Zeus tent. I can take more out by switching the Zeus poles to fiberglass and ditching the metal pooper scooper in favor of a lighter one. Last year's Pictured Rocks hike (in the summer with no cold weather gear) was 40lbs plus food. Just shows what a little effort and a few bucks can do...okay, a bit more than a few bucks. Biggest gains...going to a GoLite Quest pack and an penny can alcohol stove.

Sassafras Lass
10-01-2010, 08:29
im curious to know how many of you have a full pack, ie has all of you baught all your thru hike supplys yet? or am i the only one that is incomplete

DH and I are far from ready - we don't have a speck of clothing yet (we're losing weight before we buy) and haven't yet bought our main stove or water filter (though we do have some Aquamira)

TarpTent Double Rainbow

Osprey Atmos 65 (for him)
Gregory Jade 50 (for me)

Marmot Helium 15 (for him)
GoLite Venture 20 (for me)

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core
Thermarest Z-Lite

Keen Targhee II Mid (for me)
Undecided for him

Black Diamond Ergo Poles

Buck Nighthawk (for him)
Leatherman Micra (for me)
Swiss Army Knife

MSR Pocket Rocket

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ10 camera

And a million other details and odds n' ends to pick up . . . .

flats
10-01-2010, 09:13
just getting into the preperations to start out in march fo a thru hike out of springer,love all the info.heading to Atlanta next week and maybe drive up to mountain crossing for gear.

IamCONDOR
11-21-2010, 16:50
hey fellow hikers! I'm researching gear like crazy and have been for months... i can't afford to make any mistakes so i'm hesitant to buy anything.. i finally committed to a headlamp and bought my long underwear from REI (having a winter sale right now).. i have my sleeping bag narrowed down to a few options (any suggestions???) and i am still up in the air about whether i want to just use trail runners or boots... i'd appreciate any and all suggestions!
can't wait to meet all you guys out on the trail! woop woop!! I'm sooo excited!!! but nervous at the rate at which march is approaching..lol

IamCONDOR
11-21-2010, 16:52
hey!!! i see you live in michigan too!! i live in vassar michigan, kinda in between flint and saginaw, when are you planning on leaving????

Luddite
11-21-2010, 17:01
I officially bought all of my gear...just waiting on my Caldera Cone stove, my Leki poles, and my Mp3 player(Sansa 2gb, .85oz). It took me almost 8 months to get it all.

I still don't have all of my clothing, though./

Torch09
11-21-2010, 18:23
my Mp3 player(Sansa 2gb, .85oz)./

You didn't happen to choose this particular player based on the current issue of 'backpacker' did you? :cool:

Luddite
11-21-2010, 18:32
You didn't happen to choose this particular player based on the current issue of 'backpacker' did you? :cool:

NO! Kinda...

A friend gave me one and I lost it. When I saw it in the new Backpacker I couldn't believe how cheap they are. I figured they would cost around 80 or a 100 bucks, I got mine on Amazon for $31.

walkin' wally
11-21-2010, 18:41
I have nearly all my stuff but I am willing to make "adjustments" along the way if I have to. I believe there is no one right selection of gear for everyone, just IMHO.:sun I certainly won't be the lightest or heaviest out there. Hope to see all of you along the trail.

FORTIS
11-30-2010, 21:50
I'm starting from scratch. I do have a bag that will suffice during the warmer months and some clothing items but for the most part I'm in a panic! :confused: I have a binder that I've divided into gear groups with actual gear choices and pros and cons for each item. The mistakes that I'm going to make during this process I'm sure would make most on this forum laugh big time :). In other words, I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I'm learning though.

Blissful
11-30-2010, 22:10
i am still up in the air about whether i want to just use trail runners or boots... i'd appreciate any and all suggestions!
l

Trail runners is all you need for the AT

Blissful
11-30-2010, 22:11
DH and I are far from ready - we don't have a speck of clothing yet (we're losing weight before we buy) and haven't yet bought our main stove or water filter (though we do have some Aquamira)

T. . . .

Aqua mira is all you need. A filter will only break. Guaranteed
MSR Pocket Rocket is a great stove. I used it for my son and I in '07.

You'll get new clothes in six weeks after your hike starts too (mainly pants), with the weight loss.

Blissful
11-30-2010, 22:15
The mistakes that I'm going to make during this process I'm sure would make most on this forum laugh big time :). In other words, I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I'm learning though.

There is no laughing here. Everyone was new at the game sometime, believe me. I started my '07 hike with a six and half lb pack and carried all the way to mid VA. You will also learn as you go along. But here on WB we can help cut down ounces and give suggestions to make it better and easier on you.

Blissful
11-30-2010, 22:17
I have nearly all my stuff but I am willing to make "adjustments" along the way if I have to. I believe there is no one right selection of gear for everyone, just IMHO.:sun I certainly won't be the lightest or heaviest out there. Hope to see all of you along the trail.

Excellent logic. You are on your way to success. :)

Luddite
11-30-2010, 22:17
I'm still using my Katadyn after 4 years and it still works fine. What could break on it? Besides replacing the filter every once in a while it seems pretty fool-proof.

If you're not OCD about your water like I am you could probably save money by not having to replace the filter cartridge. Plus you save a a lot of weight.

Blissful
11-30-2010, 22:18
and my Mp3 player(Sansa 2gb, .85oz).

This is what I took on my hikes. Great little player. I was very happy with it. I got mine on Amazon too

Blissful
11-30-2010, 22:22
I'm still using my Katadyn after 4 years and it still works fine. What could break on it? Besides replacing the filter every once in a while it seems pretty fool-proof.

Have you used it every day, several times a day for weeks? The Katadyn is a better filter, but I started with many SOBOS this year and EVERY single one had a broken pump in several weeks (they could not pump with it or pumping took forever. I don't know exactly what broke but it was useless to them). Even my son took his in '07 and it busted in several weeks (it was a Katadyn too, and it was a mechanism in that case). All the SOBOs went to Aqua mira. You don't need a filter on the AT. It's heavy and cumbersome. Just avoid the beaver ponds in VT and the streams in the meadows with cattle. I have a very sensitive stomach. I never got a water borne illness, and this year I had to forage for water like you wouldn't believe. Make sure you have maps also, which tell you about the sources - if they are beaver ponds. And trust the companion when it says you can get water from certain sources.

Luddite
11-30-2010, 22:26
What do yu think about the gravity filters?

Blissful
11-30-2010, 22:33
What do yu think about the gravity filters?

I only used one made for a group - made by Katadyn, and the thing took forever. We have also used Steripens, but they soak of battery power too and were unreliable with other hikers.

I go back to my trusty Aqua mira for the AT

writeronthestorm
12-18-2010, 20:20
I already own a bunch of gear and at first I thought I would just take what I had but after researching a bit I've decided to upgrade in several departments. My main obstacle right now is money, so I'm really trying to limit the amount of gear that I buy, and the amount I will spend per item.

As far as clothes go, I'm sticking with what I have, except that I plan on buying a lighter fleece for the warmer months.

I don't own Trekking Poles, and I've never used them before, but I decided I should take the advice or prior thru-hikers and buy some, especially since my knees are pain-prone.. Plus I need them for my shelter.

I upgraded from a tent to a shelter, the Golite Shangri-La.

I've decided to go with a 40 degree bag for the warmer months, and currently don't own one. Looking at Mont Bell, Kelty and Mountain Hardware... Also going to pick up a silk liner to supplement my 20 degree North Face bag.

Plan on upgrading to a lighter, smaller pack. Leaning toward the GG Vapor Trail at the moment.

I also really need a camera. Normally I backpack with a Nikon D3000, but I really don't wan't to haul that massive camera 2,000 miles. With that said, I can't find much in the way of point-and-shoot that take regular AA batteries.

I still need to buy some various small pieces of gear, such as dry-sacks, stuff sacks, lighter cordage for bear bagging (currently use para-chord, but I'm thinking that its overkill), and other odds and ends.

There are a couple areas where one minute I think I'm set, and the next I'm not sure. It seems every time I read something I'm questioning my gear choices.

Turtle Feet
12-18-2010, 20:48
There are a couple areas where one minute I think I'm set, and the next I'm not sure. It seems every time I read something I'm questioning my gear choices.

Well, that makes me feel better - I thought it was just me! Santa is bringing me (hopefully!) the last couple of items I'm looking for, then that 'should' be it.

BHESS: Don't panic - it'll all fall together. IMHO, the first thing to chose (if you don't have one already) is a pack. No point in gathering all kinds of great gear only to realize it won't fit in your pack. Once you're settled on one you're excited about carrying for 4-6 months, then you'll have some of your gear choices narrowed down for you.

See you all on the trail!!! :banana

TF

Sassafras Lass
12-19-2010, 11:20
Aqua mira is all you need. A filter will only break. Guaranteed
MSR Pocket Rocket is a great stove. I used it for my son and I in '07.QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Blissful;1074218]Have you used it every day, several times a day for weeks? The Katadyn is a better filter, but I started with many SOBOS this year and EVERY single one had a broken pump in several weeks (they could not pump with it or pumping took forever. I don't know exactly what broke but it was useless to them). Even my son took his in '07 and it busted in several weeks (it was a Katadyn too, and it was a mechanism in that case). All the SOBOs went to Aqua mira. You don't need a filter on the AT. It's heavy and cumbersome. Just avoid the beaver ponds in VT and the streams in the meadows with cattle. I have a very sensitive stomach. I never got a water borne illness, and this year I had to forage for water like you wouldn't believe. Make sure you have maps also, which tell you about the sources - if they are beaver ponds. And trust the companion when it says you can get water from certain sources.

Update: We now have everything except:

Packas
Heavyweight thermals
Down camp jacket (me)
Hat (me)
Gloves (DH)
Balaclava (DH)
First aid kit
Toiletries
Extra shoelaces
Garbage bags (pack liner)

Blissful - we don't like chemicals and avoid them as much as possible, the AquaMira is only a last resort. We have the MSR Miniworks and it's worked great so far. From what I've read, if you do the proper minimal maintenence, water pumps will last for a very long time.

Unklmarty
01-04-2011, 12:46
All gear is ready and good to go. (I think I hope)
Leaving GA 3/9/11
My pack list is attached as a pdf file.

Turtle Feet
01-04-2011, 19:39
Leaving GA 3/9/11

3/Pt, 3/S&S, 4/soup, 4/HC, 3/SE&B, 3/dinner

Hi Unklmarty - wondering what your food abbreviations are? I get soup and dinner, but wondering about Pt, S&S, HC, & SE&B... :)

tf

Unklmarty
01-04-2011, 19:59
3/Pt, 3/S&S, 4/soup, 4/HC, 3/SE&B, 3/dinner

Hi Unklmarty - wondering what your food abbreviations are? I get soup and dinner, but wondering about Pt, S&S, HC, & SE&B... :)

tf
PT - Pop Tart
S&S - Sweet and Salty Nut bars from Nature Valley
HC - Hot Chocolate
SE&B - Scrambled Eggs & Bacon from Mountain House

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 21:42
Everything ready with exception of guidebook and data book, ordered them today!

hobbs
01-04-2011, 22:06
Waiting on My Zpacks tent comes Mid feb and 2 more shopping trips for food. All the rest of my gear bought and I have to purchase my maps tomm. Then I am good to go. March 2 out the door.....

Turtle Feet
01-04-2011, 23:26
PT - Pop Tart
S&S - Sweet and Salty Nut bars from Nature Valley
HC - Hot Chocolate
SE&B - Scrambled Eggs & Bacon from Mountain House

:) thanks!

tf

Blissful
01-05-2011, 00:02
Leaving GA 3/9/11

Your pack weight is gonna get to you by Neels Gap guaranteed.

You don't need a GPS for the AT. Map suffices
You have an extremely heavy sleeping bag and fleece liner is heavy compared to silk
Only need Aqua mira for water

You have way too many water bottles
Don't need a space blanket, bug net, back scrubber (?)
Batteries you can get in towns
Don't need all those tent stakes.

Do you have an insulated jacket?
You have convertible pants, don't need hiking shorts too

Carabiners are heavy, IMO

Unklmarty
01-05-2011, 09:29
Your pack weight is gonna get to you by Neels Gap guaranteed.

You don't need a GPS for the AT. Map suffices
GPS is to document trip and upload to google earth
You have an extremely heavy sleeping bag and fleece liner is heavy compared to silk
the SB keeps me warm down to 20 degrees, the liner is silk
Only need Aqua mira for water
I've been using the Hiker for 10 years without failure. I'm not giving it up
You have way too many water bottles
I use the 3L bladder in the pack The 2 1L are roll-up platypus just in case. The 4L is also a roll-up for use in camp
Don't need a space blanket, wife request, nuff saidbug net, I hate bugs in my faceback scrubber (?)weights 2 grams and is for in-town use
Batteries you can get in townsI always carry spares
Don't need all those tent stakes.In the past I have lost a couple along the way and besides they are very light

Do you have an insulated jacket? I am wearing my outer wind-proof/water-proof jacket with a fleese jacket under. This setup has kept me warm down to 5 degrees
You have convertible pants, don't need hiking shorts too Hiking shorts are very lightweight and can also be used for swimming. They will probably be the first thing to go

Carabiners are heavy, IMOI agree but I still want to have them around if needed

Thanks for your comments

snap
01-10-2011, 04:50
I have my pack, my hennesy deluxe hammock, my stove, some socks, the shirts, eating utensils and pots, a camelbak, my coat, and poncho. I'm still needing to buy the books and maps, the sleeping bag and mat, and treking poles, oh yes and a waterfilter. and most other small things I already have.

Snoopy
01-11-2011, 20:54
I have:
GoLite Jam
MSR gravity filter
Hennessey UL Backpacker ASym
socks, rope,
SP900, mini-atomic
Marmot bag
Keen Sandals
Merrell Moab Ventilators
Northface Rain Jacket
REI trekking poles
headlamp
shorts
... and a few other little things.

I have the book.. and don't see a need to buy maps.. need to find a few base layer items and I'm nearly complete

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 22:47
I've had all my gear since 2009. Since then, it's been upgrading, lowering weight, adjusting. Funny thing is I bought the lightest and best money could get. For those items..there still is no newer greater better item. I'm ready!

walking bird
01-13-2011, 00:50
ruffwear is the best money can buy:sun:

No Hurry
01-13-2011, 19:50
Hello everyone! Looks like I'll be leaving March 10 - 15 from Springer, so hope to see some of you out there. I've been researching gear, ordering some, etc.
I think I'm going to stick with my Vapor Trail for a pack, I just got an REI Halo 25 degree bag, and I think I'm going to get a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo tent, rather than use the Gatewood Cape that I have in the past.
I've been trying out trail shoes, so I don't have to use the Vasque Sundowners that I have (I love them, but they are a lot more boot than I need), and I think I'm going to keep the Keene Voyageurs I've got now.
I was just given a Packafeather alcohol stove for Christmas, which I think is pretty cool (first alcohol stove), and now I can't wait till Mid-March!

crazystick
01-14-2011, 15:57
like alot of other backpackers I am constantly improving my gear set but I have pretty much gotten my gear perfectly tuned to eachother and just how i like it over the years of doing other backpacking trips and experimenting with various ultralight options.
ther will be a few things im changing, instead of taking my pocket rocket like i planned before I am starting to think maybe alcohol stoves are best, and mostly because of questionable availability of iso-butane canisters....
I usually sleep under my poncho/tarp but since its pretty wet in the appalachias I think i may go with a larger tarp, and instead of using a poncho for the rain I might get a packa,
I just really hate to get rid of one lightweight multi-use item like a ponco and replace it with a tarp and another rain set.... maybe some of you have some food for thought or suggestions for me.

No Hurry
01-15-2011, 01:28
In 2006, I believe it was, I hiked about 400 miles, from Harriman State Park in New York to Harper's Ferry.
During that trip, I slept in a shelter one night; the rest of the time I was using my tarp/poncho (The Gatewood Cape). I've thought about it, and I think that this time I am going to use separate rain gear (well, a jacket), and a really lightweight tent like the Lunar Solo. I mean, it weighs 23 oz, so it's really not that unreasonable, I don't think. It's just that I don't want to use my shelter as rain gear.
And while it DOES sort of bother me that I am taking 2 separate pieces of single-use gear with me, I just think it makes more sense. Especially as I plan to use it over shelters as much as possible.
As far as the stove goes, I was using an MSR Superfly. I was also worried about fuel canisters, but I found that they were available- maybe not as plentiful as alcohol, but available nonetheless.

gipcgirl
01-16-2011, 19:33
I have everything from last years attempt. The only thing I done is buy a new skirt and new boots. Otherwise all my gear from last year has been great, bit worn but will last for this years thru.

No Cows
01-22-2011, 00:46
Pack's Ready, Leaving Springer March 1st.

Pommes
01-22-2011, 01:08
to the class of 2011....

No matter what the stripper tells you. There is no sex in the Champagne Room.

Never.

mikecordes
01-24-2011, 20:44
Mike and Nobody's packs are ready..Leaving Springer on February 14..

NCcummins
01-25-2011, 16:54
My pack is ready. Leaving for Springer March 11th but will be in Maine for most of the time until then. Good luck to everyone.

-Ghost-
02-01-2011, 16:25
My pack is all ready as well. Leaving March 3rd! =) Psycheddd

toemaetoe
02-01-2011, 17:01
Sidebackside - it gets expensive unfortunatley. Thus, I am never to fast to pull the trigger on buying the new stuff.

Get or make one of those little linen teabags that they sell in natural food stores. You can use your regular coffee in them- the coffee is better than what you can buy prepackaged in individual servings and it's super cheap.

skerry
02-21-2011, 15:27
As of today I have all my gear. Started with the dehydrated fruits, veggies, beans. Will be putting together my first week of food and some drip boxes. Plan on resupply mostly in town.

Hike On!