PDA

View Full Version : good socks

bluffhead
06-09-2010, 06:08
i would like some feedback on some good socks not smartwools preferably something a bit cheaper im going with silk liners and need an over sock, thank you in advance
joe

berkshirebirder
06-09-2010, 09:12
Love ya, Joe,
but the dancin' bananas
got to go.

JAK
06-09-2010, 09:22
Rather nice haiku.
What two sylables were dropped
From lines first and third?

Jack Tarlin
06-09-2010, 09:24
Unfortunately, in my experience, good socks don't come cheap.

On more than one occasion, I've purchased cheap socks (or even a bagful!) at places like Wal-Mart, etc.

The price is right, but they only last a few weeks on the Trail, so I'm not sure it's much of a bargain.

I'd stick to quality socks, and I'd consider Bridgedale's.

JAK
06-09-2010, 09:35
The nice thing about good socks is you only need to buy a pair or two because they do last a long time. The same is true with a good set of fleece. You have to be careful though because there are alot of inferior socks posing as quality socks, even at the same high price, even under the same brand name that might have served you well in the past. You have to develop a keen eye and feel for performance and durability.

p.s. ...

We all

Have just

Lone Wolf
06-09-2010, 09:38
Darn Tough made in Vermont

Spokes
06-09-2010, 09:41
I agree with Jack.

My sock of choice is the Bridgedale Trekker (http://www.bridgedale.com/Products/Outdoor/). They make two types "endurance" and "comfort". Most good outfitters will have them.

nox
06-09-2010, 09:59
woolie bullie makes some nice socks, I've had a pair of "blaze" socks for 4years now, they hold up great and are the warmest socks i've ever worn.

JAK
06-09-2010, 10:56
Everyone should invest in at least one pair of top quality socks. That way, you have something to compare other socks to. You might find you can wear the good pair day after day, and not need so many spares. Very often a good quality thin pair and a good quality medium pair is sufficient for most trips.

For very thin wool socks, 78% wool, 20% nylon, 2% spandex wool dress socks work amazingly well and compare favourably with thin hiking socks. It is hard to find wool dress socks today. They are not as common, but they are still out there and are fun to search for while you are waiting for your wife doing her shopping. I found them a few years ago and bought 5 pair for $10, all black. I wish I had bought 10 pair because they are great not only for hiking but also for everyday use, and running. I like to wear them with sandals and loafers because it drives my wife crazy.

berkshirebirder
06-09-2010, 11:04
Love ya, Joe,
but the dancin' bananas
got to go.

Haiku, schmaiku. True artists care not a whit about standard form. Plus, I can never remember if it's 5-7-5, 3-4-5, or 7 come 11.

Actually, I just wanted to tell Joe all the dancing bananas were a bit much.

JAK
06-09-2010, 11:19
LOL. Actually your poem really was much better left as is.
And don't complain too much. Real poet's can't choose their subject.
Their subjects choose them.

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

fiddlehead
06-09-2010, 11:52
I still prefer fleece socks.
They are much cheaper than they used to be.

flemdawg1
06-09-2010, 13:30
Another vote for Bridgedales.

Mountain Wildman
06-09-2010, 14:25
I've heard a lot of good about Darn Tough, I, However bought Exofficio Insect Shield Hiker socks from Sierra Trading Post which usually sell for 20 bucks a pair, I paid around 7 bucks a pair.
Steep and Cheap has had Lorpen socks the past couple of days around 9 bucks I think.
Definitely check both sites before you buy.
I have also heard good things about Wigwam socks and Teco.

rustedsatellite
06-10-2010, 10:30
I'm putting my vote in for the Darn Tough socks. These socks are life changing.

turtle fast
06-10-2010, 11:09
Try products from Fox River the hiking socks are fairly good and cheaper than the other brands. Rag wool socks are fairly inexpensive and a hiking staple marketed under several brand names. Right now I am wearing some LaCrosse brand socks usually marketed for hunting, but another similar pair worked well for me on the AT. I also use the more expensive Bridgedales, Thorlos, Dalghrens, etc.... just more bells and whistles.

sbhikes
06-15-2010, 14:13
You can sometimes find the high quality socks on closeout on some web sites. Also, someone I know gave a rave review of Fox River socks. I ordered some for $6 each from somewhere. Have not tried them yet as they have not arrived.

DapperD
06-15-2010, 22:30
i would like some feedback on some good socks not smartwools preferably something a bit cheaper im going with silk liners and need an over sock, thank you in advance
joeNot cheap but comfortable and good quality:http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___01911

SassyWindsor
06-16-2010, 19:42
joe

You sometimes can find slightly blemished Thorlo hiking socks at very good prices at places like Marshall's or TJ Maxx.

Phreak
06-16-2010, 20:11
Wrightsocks Coolmesh Double Layer (http://www.rei.com/product/688088)

Tinker
06-16-2010, 23:12
woolie bullie makes some nice socks, I've had a pair of "blaze" socks for 4years now, they hold up great and are the warmest socks i've ever worn.

Seconded. I will be using them, sans liners, on my LT thru in September.
I get them at the bicycle store where I work.

Tinker
06-16-2010, 23:15
You sometimes can find slightly blemished Thorlo hiking socks at very good prices at places like Marshall's or TJ Maxx.

I used Thor-lo socks for years. Smartwool is better, comfort wise, and, for me at least (see above), Woolie Boolie socks are cheaper.