PDA

View Full Version : uh oh

Sailor (The other one)
06-09-2010, 09:00
"Common Pain Relievers Raise Heart Risk for Healthy Folks"

"Participants, whose average age was 39, who used ibuprofen had a 29 percent greater risk of fatal or nonfatal stroke, compared to those who took no NSAID."

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/639921.html

burger
06-09-2010, 09:08
(waiting for all the people who said that the recent study of trekking poles was bogus to weigh in here with their highly informed, scientific opinions)

Lone Wolf
06-09-2010, 09:12
trekking poles are bogus. i don't use them or ibuprofen. any pain is just weakness leaving the body

JAK
06-09-2010, 09:13
(waiting for all the people who said that the recent study of trekking poles was bogus to weigh in here with their highly informed, scientific opinions)and what is the alternative?

Old Hiker
06-09-2010, 09:40
and what is the alternative?

What normally happens, of course. Mirth, mayhem and some other word that starts with "W" that I can't think of right now. :D ;) :p

Elder
06-09-2010, 09:42
trekking poles are bogus. i don't use them or ibuprofen. any pain is just weakness leaving the body
:rolleyes: didn't you mean Bonus...?:D

JAK
06-09-2010, 10:01
I think they make ibuprofen for kids now, if I am not mistaken. When I first saw that I could not believe it. The advertising was along the lines of, 'so that the kids could play longer'. I can't remember exactly where I saw it. Was I dreaming, or are there such products as these entering the market even as stuff like childrens cough syrup are being taken off the market?

mister krabs
06-09-2010, 13:56
You were dreaming JAK. It does exist for the same things that regular Advil exists. It's a great fever reducer and can be used alternately with Tylenol to manage an extended fever. It's also good for pain and I've given it to my kids a few times for that. "so that kids can play longer" would be known in pharma lingo as "off label use," pretty much the same as it is for adults who use it as a maintenance drug to stave off muscle pain.

wrongway_08
06-09-2010, 14:03
Last I heard from the people that did that research is that breathing is bad for you because - over time - it wears out your lungs. So they suggest not breathing to save wear and tear on your lungs.

They also said that hiking poles wear out your hands.... dont use them.

shoes wear out your feet ... dont wear them

hats wear out your head ..... dont wear them.

Under wear wears out your crotch ... dont wear them.

pants wear out your legs ... dont wear them.

food wears out your stomach ... dont eat.

thinking wears out the mind .... dont think.

looking wears out your eyes ... dont look.

crapn wears out your arse .... dont crap.

Anyways ... I'm going to go apply for a gov't grant so I can waste 40 billion of your alls tax money proving the above true.

Sorry .... I'm bored. Nothing better to do then ramble on.

Oh yea, my point to all this ..... Every year someone does research to prove that something that had research done before is wrong. Next year, research will prove these people wrong. It will soon eneough be okay to take Pain Relievers without risk to your health, if your fit or unfit - as soon as the gov't approves $30 million in research grant to prove the proven wrong.

Really I had no point, just bored.

Going to go find something to read about hiking now.

JAK
06-09-2010, 14:06
What I think I remember though was an adverstisement that was promoting its use with chidren just for general soreness, so that they could stay out and play longer. What is particularly weird about that is that kid's these days don't really play all that much. I can't remember if it was on TV or in a magazine, or maybe on the web? But you might be right. Maybe I was dreaming. I've had some weird dreams and remember them a year later and only figured them out then that they were just dreams. lol. Harmless though, nothing too wacked out.

East Coast Alex
06-09-2010, 15:33
I guess I should stop chewing Ibuprofen like PEZ candy all day long, then?

A stroke may be better than eventual liver damage, so perhaps I'll just keep downing them like PEZ. If I 'go,' might as well it be potentially quicker and more painless. :p

Blue Jay
06-09-2010, 15:48
(waiting for all the people who said that the recent study of trekking poles was bogus to weigh in here with their highly informed, scientific opinions)

OK, this study is bogus also. A study is not required. Pain killers are intrinsically bad due to pain being extremely important to you. It's telling you to slow down or carry less or go fewer miles or do something other than take a pill.:-?

Blue Jay
06-09-2010, 15:53
You know I'd ALMOST (but not quite) like a study done on why humans like crutches of all kinds (physical, phamacuetical, psycological) instead of simply doing what is clearly required in the first place. In the long run it's easier anyway.

East Coast Alex
06-09-2010, 16:01
You know I'd ALMOST (but not quite) like a study done on why humans like crutches of all kinds (physical, phamacuetical, psycological) instead of simply doing what is clearly required in the first place. In the long run it's easier anyway.

What is clearly required in the first place?

Pain does not always cease when the body simply takes a rest. Not even when the rest period is long in duration.

Resting is for people who have either the privilege, the luxury, or simply the desire to rest.

JAK
06-09-2010, 16:30
If I'm not mistaken, ibuprofen is not for pain but for inflamation. The problem with taking stuff for inflamation is that the inflamation triggers the bodies normal response to tear down and rebuild tissue. It is true that the tearing down process can sometimes get out of hand, and that must be dealt with somehow, but when you overdo anti-inflamatories you can stop your body from getting stronger in response to exercise, and so you negate the training effect of the exercise, or worse, just get weaker and weaker.

Still, there might be times when you need or benefit from anti-inflamatories.
I'm not sure when they are needed, or when they cause more benefit than harm.
You have to make some sort of an informed guess.

I have a problem in my left butt that I've been struggling with since last summer. I think it is some sort of tendonitis where the hamstring connects to the pelvis. It's a pain in the ass, literally. It is severely limiting to the amount of running I can do, especially fast running. I think I need to get back to hiking for awhile, and even that I might have to limit the volume of work. I have been taking phsyio, including laser, ultrsound, and electric high frequency, with ice. Also some light stretching, and alot less running. Might have to give up running altogether for awhile. Bummer because I had gotten my volume up pretty good and it was helping me lose alot of weight. I've been reading up on the use of NSAIDS like ibuprofen, and the physiotherapist say its ok, but I'm still ambivalent about their use, and unsure when and how much. The timing is as important as the amount and frequency I think.

When you are young, just about anything works, so it is easy to believe that everyone knows what they are doing. When you get older, it gets harder to find things that work, and so it is easy to grasp at straws, or simply believe nobody knows what the heck they are doing.

I think the ultrasound and electric high frequency is helping though. I think strenghtening and stretching will work too, once I get there, but you first have to get strong enough and get the inflamation under control so you can do some stretching and strengthening. It's a catch22.

Blue Jay
06-09-2010, 16:34
What is clearly required in the first place?

Pain does not always cease when the body simply takes a rest. Not even when the rest period is long in duration.

Resting is for people who have either the privilege, the luxury, or simply the desire to rest.

No resting is required, period. Your last sentence must be humor.

JAK
06-09-2010, 16:43
Diet is supposed to help. Some foods are supposed to be anti-inflamatory. Some foods are supposed to be more inflamatory. In terms of muscles, and tendons, with exercise, which is inflamatory, you are supposed to build up your own anti-inflamatory defences within the muscles themselves. Anti-inflamatory foods don't neccessarily help with this sort of exercise induced inflamation directly, but they might help provide the materials to help the body build its own defences. Thing is, you read one thing, and it makes so much sense, but there is so much information out there now, and it is all so complex you never really know what might work, or whether or not anything actually made any difference or made things worse.

Pedaling Fool
06-09-2010, 17:10
What's funny, actually pathetic, are the people that go on and on... about the evils of the drug companies, yet they eat this stuff like candy. Kind of like all the people that get all worked up over big oil, yet keep giving their money to them:rolleyes:

Vote with your wallet is just something people say, they don't actually practice it. ***'n pathetic.

sbhikes
06-09-2010, 18:42
Everything in moderation. Even moderation.

hellomolly
06-09-2010, 21:48
Well. That sucks. I take Vitamin I every day. Between 2 to as many as 10 pills. Hmm.

Not Sunshine
06-09-2010, 21:51
you always hear about those stories of the dude dropping dead after a run...

proof i tell you!! --> --> --> EXERCISE KILLS!!!!

but it's just so much darn fun! hahahaha

Egads
06-09-2010, 22:29
Blue Jay, you must be a joy to hike with :-?

JAK
06-09-2010, 22:40

Very good question.

Some stuff can be explained through physical addition, or simply being laced with something that tastes good, but alot of compulsive buying and consuming is just weird. We all do it though. Is it the gathering instinct, or in the case of consumer goods something to do with tool building and tool using?

Not sure. It would be a very good study.

Blissful
06-09-2010, 22:59
Well. That sucks. I take Vitamin I every day. Between 2 to as many as 10 pills. Hmm.

Goodness sakes, for what? :eek:

I mean I did take them a lot on my hike in '07 but not now on a daily basis.

Though this time for my hike I'm taking much more Tylenol. I've had three ulcers.

Blue Jay
06-09-2010, 23:32
Blue Jay, you must be a joy to hike with :-?

You must be glad you don't hike?