PDA

View Full Version : Tent for the 100 mile wilderness

English Stu
06-09-2010, 14:50
I aim to hike the 100 mile wilderness in late Aug into September,will my Henry Shires Contrail tarptent be suitable ,or do I need a double skin tent i,e something a bit more substantial than the Contrail.e.g Henry's Scarp 1. Also what rating sleeping bag would be best I understand it can be cold at night.

I prefer to camp at the shelters rather than be in them.Thanks

Shutterbug
06-09-2010, 16:07
I aim to hike the 100 mile wilderness in late Aug into September,will my Henry Shires Contrail tarptent be suitable ,or do I need a double skin tent i,e something a bit more substantial than the Contrail.e.g Henry's Scarp 1. Also what rating sleeping bag would be best I understand it can be cold at night.

I prefer to camp at the shelters rather than be in them.Thanks

I hiked in the 100 Mile Wilderness last August and have hiked there in Sept and Oct in the past.

A tarp-tent should do fine. Personally, I prefer a hammock, but I have observed a lot of people with tarp tents. The primary concerns are rain and bugs. Maine can have some big thunderstroms during the fall. One night last year it rained over 2 inches in three hours.

In August the bugs can be problem. The mosquitos bit right through the hammock cloth. They can do the same through a single wall tent if you allow your skin to press against the cloth. The bugs become less of a problem as the nights get colder.

I recommend that you take a tyvek ground cloth. Last year the ground was really wet.

Last year, I used a 40 degree bag, but slept on top of it most of the time. You certainly won't need anything warmer than that.

English Stu
06-10-2010, 05:15
Great info ,thanks Shutterbug.

Marta
06-10-2010, 06:58
I think you'll be fine. It can certainly be damp in Maine, so you might want to have a bandana, or a small piece of pack towel, or something to wipe condensation from the inside of your tent in the morning. I've always thought that would be a good idea...though I never actually do it. ;-)

Dogwood
06-10-2010, 12:16
You don't need any different of a tent to hike the 100 mile wilderness in late Aug-early Sept than you would use to hike anywhere else on the AT during typical thru-hiker season(mid Mar - mid Oct). As Marta pointed out you may get some condensation inside the single wall shelter. Usually no big deal. Just be prepared to wipe down the inside of the tent walls.

+1 to Shutterbug's comments. You may experience rain, maybe heavy at times, and mosquitos/flying biting insects in the 100 mile wilderness so be prepared for those possiblities.

It's not going to be all that cold in late Aug-early Sept. Although there are several variables as to what temp rated bag is best for you, if you are sleeping in one of the tents you mentioned a 25-35 * temp rated sleeping bag will be fine.