PDA

View Full Version : Campmor Tomorrow

Simba
06-09-2010, 16:56
Living in NE Pennsylvania doesn't leave much room for outfitter options. Called four in a 50 mile radius to find out none of them sell various brands of packs anymore; if any at all. So, next option is in the title. For ten years I've used my Lowe Alpine Contour III (including my thru hike in 2000) and loved it; but now it feels like it does not carry weight well and the hip belt buckle constantly slips apart. Called Lowe Alpine USA and got results in seconds, no questions asked they are mailing me a new buckle and going from there as to differ me away from looking at the Osprey Atmos 65. I'm still going to look and get fitted for the Osprey. But, does anyone else have long term experience with Lowe Alpine Contour III or IV's? I did a week shakedown Mid March (turned out to be a mistake due to flooding and cold in NY on the AT) and found that the pack hip belt slips and the pack felt like it was sagging against my lower back; not sitting comfy after two days.

Thanks for any suggestions; research on here shows the Osprey to be a good choice for the AT; and after ten years of limited long distance hiking and various back injuries I'm looking forward to better comfort; already splurged and got a titanium pot (but kinda large) and whisperlite to cut back weight; other equipment is still good and durable.

grayfox
06-09-2010, 18:07
If you have not tried on any new packs in ten years, I would say that the chances of finding something more comfortable are 100%.

The thing about the Atmos is the wierd frame that keeps the pack from touching most of your back, which is cool, but can make it hard to pack your stuff. For some, the frame digs into the hips painfully. But if the pack feels good with weight in it you might find it easy on your back.

If you loved your Lowe pack, you may find that the new styles are good for you. The frames are better now and I find my 45+10 easy to carry.

If you are downsizing, don't overlook the new UL packs like Gossamer Gear and etc., Golite for more mainstream shoppers. You need to get your gear to fit, but once you do, it could be the most comfortable choice. I have the Pinnacle and Quest which are both comfy with light loads. They do not adjust for torso size and took a few returns until I found the right lengh for the back.

Brands aside, remeasure your torso length, try with weight, walk around a while. All that good advice you read here about fit is well worth heeding.

On the bit more heavy side, the Deuter ACT Lite series has good frame and belt support for my ageing back. But my 60+10 is too big for many trips when the lighter pack will do.

My old Kelty Yukon external frame wins the prize for easiest on my back with a heavy or bulky load.

Hope this helps.

LIhikers
06-09-2010, 18:33
I have a Contour III that I got used from a friend. The buckle on mine slips too and while it carries OK it's not as comfortable as my Mountainsmith Boundary.

Enjoy your trip to Campmor. You'll find the sales people pretty helpful, and as you might expect, some more knowledgable than others. They have a pretty large selection and you have to let them know what kind of pack you are looking for. Then they can help you narrow down the choices. And before you make the drive, don't forget, they're closed on Sundays.

The_Saint
06-09-2010, 18:35
Highly recommend you look into a ULA Circuit.

Old Grouse
06-09-2010, 19:36
The Tom Sawyer Diner just up the street is a good place to stop, too.

Dogwood
06-09-2010, 19:42
Not sure if this would interest you, and certainly not as large as Campmor, but there is an EMS Outfitter practically next door to Campmor that has some competively priced gear.

Dogwood
06-09-2010, 19:48
Oh, here's another idea: if you know you are going to be dropping hundreds of dollars on gear ar Campmor first ask at the customer service desk about joining the NY/NJ Trail Conference for a small fee($20 or less) and you'll get 10 % off all your purchases at Campmor and get other discounts on stuff elsewhere by joing. Besides, you'll get up to date trail beta in NY/NJ and you'll be supporting those who fund, build, and maintain the trails.

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2010, 19:52
Highly recommend you check out Sgt Rocks thread and order via the internet.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62568&highlight=sgt+rock

Toolshed
06-09-2010, 20:12
Living in NE Pennsylvania doesn't leave much room for outfitter options. Called four in a 50 mile radius to find out none of them sell various brands of packs anymore; if any at all. So, next option is in the title. For ten years I've used my Lowe Alpine Contour III (including my thru hike in 2000) and loved it; but now it feels like it does not carry weight well and the hip belt buckle constantly slips apart. Called Lowe Alpine USA and got results in seconds, no questions asked they are mailing me a new buckle and going from there as to differ me away from looking at the Osprey Atmos 65. I'm still going to look and get fitted for the Osprey. But, does anyone else have long term experience with Lowe Alpine Contour III or IV's? I did a week shakedown Mid March (turned out to be a mistake due to flooding and cold in NY on the AT) and found that the pack hip belt slips and the pack felt like it was sagging against my lower back; not sitting comfy after two days.

Thanks for any suggestions; research on here shows the Osprey to be a good choice for the AT; and after ten years of limited long distance hiking and various back injuries I'm looking forward to better comfort; already splurged and got a titanium pot (but kinda large) and whisperlite to cut back weight; other equipment is still good and durable.
Simba, I am slightly south of you. I prefer to make the run to Campmor 1x per year. It's a nice experience to just walk around and look at/touch/try on all the gear. FWIW, I have a 1996 Reddish~Maroon Lowe Alpine Contour IV. It has been my go to pack for many years now and my first trully expensive pack. The hip belt does slip on me a bit as well, but it is due to 2 things -
#1, the nylon belt tends to stretch a bit as it warms up to your body and 2, the harness may need to be adjusted "down" one level. (a "level" is the nylon slits in teh back that the harness feeds through). I also own a Dana Astralplane, which doesn't slip down on me at all (I think the hipbelt design is a big feature here) and several Kelty packs which also all slip down on me.

The Contour IV is still a nice pack and I still use it, although it is heavier than my Kelty Haiku 4250 and about 1200 CIs larger.

Simba
06-09-2010, 20:22
Thanks for the info; I called lowe alpine and they are mailing out a new clasp for my hip belt. I didn't get to Campmor today, will tomorrow with everything mentioned on my mind. I've been there before, years ago, and remember going into the REI next door too. Thanks again.

Appalachian Tater
06-09-2010, 23:19
Yes, don't limit yourself to local stores if they don't have what you want. You can order from almost anywhere if you check the return policy. If you're not quite sure about the fit or what to get, call them. Especially small outfitters like some of the ones on the trail have very knowledgeable people working at them.

I got my poles from some little bicycle shop out west somewhere because they had the best price, don't even remember what state they were in. Don't know why they carried Lekis at a bicycle shop or why they had the best price.

mykl
06-10-2010, 12:04
Ramsey Outdoors is about 2 miles south of Campmor on Route 17. Check them out as well, I always find some goodies there at great prices. And if they don't have it, they'll get it quick, and at a great price. They have a lot of competition with Dick Sporting Goods opening up next door. They do offer to beat local prices as well (includes Campmor). Stay away from their store that is actually in Ramsey, NJ, its more of a boy scout, hunting, fishing, cloths store. Not much on good gear, Paramus store has that and a knowledgeable staff.
As Old Grouse said, Ton Sawyer diner on Ridgewood Ave is great. They make a mean omelet, ask for cream cheese and bacon.