PDA

View Full Version : Bug Question

khaynie
11-02-2004, 10:22
I have heard that the mosquitos, no-seeums, and black flies are awful through the month's of June, July, and August on the Northern section of the AT.

Currently, I am planning for a Sobo hike for the latter part of May, and any tips/suggestions for beating the bugs would be much appreciated.:-?

Thanks!

orangebug
11-02-2004, 10:41
Just say "NO" to Bugs.

Plan on netting and plenty of DEET.

attroll
11-02-2004, 13:29
I have heard that the mosquitos, no-seeums, and black flies are awful through the month's of June, July, and August on the Northern section of the AT.

Currently, I am planning for a Sobo hike for the latter part of May, and any tips/suggestions for beating the bugs would be much appreciated.:-?

Thanks!
Depending on the weather. But you will probably still see snow on the mountains here in Maine in May. I hiked Moxie Bald in mid May one year on the AT and was post holing through the snow at the top. We even got snow that night. Needless to say it was misable and we got soaked nad just about froze.

khaynie
11-02-2004, 14:29
From looking at the avg. weather temps in ME and NH, it looks like the temp may be cool enough to hold them down for a little while. However, I am sure they will be out in force later in the hike.I will use netting and deet as my deterent. (I was hoping some of you might have known about a secret weapon I didn't)

Oh well, can't wait for the hike!

Blue Jay
11-02-2004, 14:43
Actually after the first few thousand bites, they don't bother you anymore. I've lived up here all my life and spent a great deal of time in prime bug areas. What I do is hike to absolute exhaustion, then lay down and sleep. When you wake up you'll be covered in bugs. As long as you do not itch yourself to death and have some of your blood left, the problem is solved for the season. Anything that eats through plastic, does not go on my skin.

The Will
11-02-2004, 16:22
I would suggest the following based on my experience on a southbound AT thru-hike and extended backcountry travel in the Arctic and sub arctic:

1) Head net. Your head may be the most difficult portion of your body to cover (while maintaining a desirable temperature), and a head net will weigh next-to-nothing. I would think that grander options such as The Bug Shirt would be over-kill for the AT, none-the-less, it is an option worthy of your consideration.

2) Protected sleeping arrangement. I think it’s important to have something, a bivy for instance, that you can sleep in even inside the shelters to fend off the bugs. The whine of mosquitoes can be quite relaxing when there's a screen of no-see-um mesh between them and you....hell otherwise.

3) Clothing. Clothing that can cover most of your skin would be advantageous...and I wouldn't consider rain gear acceptable for this task unless it is reserved for evening when temperatures dictate that it can be worn comfortably. On my AT hike, I heard of hikers wearing their rain gear while hiking to avoid the mosquitoes--does not sound pleasant. Color is also critical. Choose demur, natural colors like beige, greens, etc. Both the black flies and the mosquitoes like dark colors such as black and red.

4) DEET. I am exceedingly stubborn about using this product, yet, I carry it whenever I will be encountering mosquitoes and black flies. It's a last resort that I seldom use, but I am thankful for it those times when the bugs are thick.

Enjoy!

khaynie
11-02-2004, 16:25
Kinda of like getting your 1st sunburn of the season... I am sure we'll get use to it!

Thanks!

khaynie
11-02-2004, 16:34
Hey,
I appreciate your feedback. That's what I was figuring but it always helps to have people share real life experiences. Thanks again!

weary
11-02-2004, 16:55
I have heard that the mosquitos, no-seeums, and black flies are awful through the month's of June, July, and August on the Northern section of the AT. Currently, I am planning for a Sobo hike for the latter part of May, and any tips/suggestions for beating the bugs would be much appreciated.:-?

Black flies usually become obnoxious around mid May in Maine and generally disappear by early July. Mosquitoes and no see ums vary with the terrain and weather conditions. Both can be a problem in humid overcast conditions. Both tend to disappear on bright, sunny, windy days.

DEET and a headnet are the solution to both, though I rarely use the latter because it obscures my view of the trail and the trail surroundings. DEET works when properly used against all three pests and unless one has a very, very rare allergic reaction is harmless as far as anyone has been able to discover.

I don't advise deliberately allowing blackflies to bite in hopes of gaining immunity. A companion on a canoe trip down the St. John River tried it once. He became severely ill, vomiting, and having great difficulty breathing. Had we had a cell phone in those days we would have called for a rescue helicopter.

Instead we camped for a couple of days and he gradually recovered enough to continue our paddle.

Weary

Puck
11-04-2004, 17:48
I don't advise deliberately allowing blackflies to bite in hopes of gaining immunity. A companion on a canoe trip down the St. John River tried it once. He became severely ill, vomiting, and having great difficulty breathing. Had we had a cell phone in those days we would have called for a rescue helicopter.

Instead we camped for a couple of days and he gradually recovered enough to continue our paddle.Weary
Biting insect are vectors for many diseases. However, many people over look the fact that when a biting isect truns you into a meal you are getting proteases and other protiens from thier saliva. These protiens can trigger an allergic response or other type of autoimmune problem. Read anaphylactic shcock.

Your friend was very lucky. You posted a good warning.

Frosty
11-04-2004, 19:55
Actually after the first few thousand bites, they don't bother you anymore. I've lived up here all my life and spent a great deal of time in prime bug areas. What I do is hike to absolute exhaustion, then lay down and sleep. When you wake up you'll be covered in bugs. As long as you do not itch yourself to death and have some of your blood left, the problem is solved for the season. Anything that eats through plastic, does not go on my skin.How to protect yourself form lightning strikes. Hike to exhaustion in a thunderstorm. Lie down to sleep face down on a bald peak with an long iron rod inserted in your bunghole (think rectal thermometer) sticking straight into the air. In the monring you will have been struck by lightning hundreds of times and your lightning problem is solved for the season.

How to solve the problem of drowning. Swim to exhaustion......

Toolshed
11-04-2004, 22:17
Anything that eats through plastic, does not go on my skin.
Yeah and insects eat through plastics too. Zero for two BJ.

HikeLite
11-11-2004, 16:19
The mechanisms of anaphylaxis and autoimmune disorders are different. An allergy to an insect would not cause an autoimmune reaction.

The Solemates
11-11-2004, 19:26
We were in Maine in June on our thru and we found the bugs no different than hiking in the Deep South in the summer. In Maine, however, you have the luxury of putting on extra clothes because the temps are cooler. When you arrive into camp, just put on your raingear and spray here and there with DEET and you will be fine. You may want a headnet though. And be sure to keep your tent door closed at all times so bugs dont get trapped in there and bite you through the night.

minnesotasmith
11-13-2004, 05:05
"How to protect yourself from lightning strikes. Hike to exhaustion in a thunderstorm. Lie down to sleep face down on a bald peak with a long iron rod inserted in your bunghole (think rectal thermometer) sticking straight into the air. In the morning you will have been struck by lightning hundreds of times and your lightning problem is solved for the season.

How to solve the problem of drowning. Swim to exhaustion......"

That was one of the funniest retorts I've ever seen on WB! Thanks for making my day with your wit.:D

Deafsmart
08-16-2005, 13:48
How to protect yourself form lightning strikes. Hike to exhaustion in a thunderstorm. Lie down to sleep face down on a bald peak with an long iron rod inserted in your bunghole (think rectal thermometer) sticking straight into the air. In the monring you will have been struck by lightning hundreds of times and your lightning problem is solved for the season.

How to solve the problem of drowning. Swim to exhaustion......

:p What a novel idea. I will do it right after I thru-hike and blow me out of oblivion. :-D