PDA

View Full Version : Etowah standard 8x10 Tarp

12ax7
06-09-2010, 22:45
hope you guys can help. i don't know much abt the new type of tarps. does the Etowah hold up for say a 2 to 3 week trip on the Tn an Va section of the AT in the summer months...any help wud be wonderful...thanks. jim..

Wolf - 23000
06-10-2010, 00:37
I've had mine for several years now along with several hundred of miles without any problems. It will last fine.

Wolf

bigcranky
06-10-2010, 07:20
An 8x10 tarp is fine on the AT -- plenty of coverage even in the worst storms. Two things:

1. Site selection is crucial. Take a long, hard look at your proposed camp site, and think about how water will run through it in a storm. This means you'll have to avoid most of the heavily-used packed down tent sites next to the shelters, but there are generally plenty of good tarp sites along the AT. (I like to set up in the woods, on the forest duff, which absorbs rain instead of letting it run off under my tarp.)

2. Bugs. You'll want something to keep the bugs off at night, maybe a head net, or some DEET, or even a net tent under your tarp.

If you haven't used the tarp much, practice setting it up at home in the rain, just to see how to get the best protection. I ended up cutting my Equinox 8x10 tarp down to 6x10 for solo use, and generally pitch it in the half-pyramid style:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/6/DSCN8156_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15166&c=member&imageuser=266)

That tarp worked well for a lot of miles, though for the last couple of years I've been using a hammock on my summer solo hikes. It's still tarping, just off the ground.

12ax7
06-10-2010, 21:14
thanks bigcranky and wolf. i really appreciate the help. i have been looking at these for a while,watched some youtube videos on them.. they looked great. but wondered abt the quality.i hope i can get used to a tarp instead of a tent lol. thanks again.. jim.

Mountain Wildman
06-10-2010, 21:25
I have the Etowah 12 X 10 Camo, It is very well made.
They have the Tabs in place of grommets therefore they are repairable with a needle and thread and won't destroy the tarps the way grommets will when they fail.
Made in the south by hand I believe.
Worth the money.

SGT Rock
06-10-2010, 22:07
Mine has worked for hundreds of miles.

12ax7
06-10-2010, 22:37
thanks mountain wildman. the tabs are the reason i have been looking at them. that looks like the way to go.thanks .. and thanks sgt rock also.. the reason i posted wuz , my thoughts were to use with a hammock sometimes and a tent if need be. been a long time since i been on the AT. i hope i dont fall apart lol...thanks again. jim

SGT Rock
06-11-2010, 19:57
Works great with a hammock. Pitch low when you need to fully enclose it. I set mine up with 8' cords on each end center for tying to the trees, the three center tabs on the sides get 4' cords for tying to the ground or up when using poles to make a porch. On the corners I put 1'-1.5' shock cords so you can either hook the corners together making a hex tarp, or when making an A frame in bad weather you can hook to the stake on the opposite side to close off the ends like doors.

That is probably clear as mud.

Daydream Believer
06-11-2010, 20:10
Mine is not an Etowah...it's an Equinox brand... but I recently used it on a seven day section in GA and NC. It worked fantastic for me. At one point, a sudden and severe thunderstorm blew up and it was hailing hard and poured for quite a while. I must have picked the right site as the ground was even dry under my tarp.

This is a pic of my tarp one day when I was doing laundry.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/Appalachian%20Trail%20pic/P5250036.jpg

Edvvard
06-12-2010, 02:14
so me buying an 8x10 for a THRU would be a decent purchase as well then? I have been looking at this tarp for my upcoming thru hike, and i'd hope it doesn't fall apart on me. lol

SGT Rock
06-12-2010, 04:05
Naw, unless you screw it up by holding it up with swords, it would last for a very very long time.

Toolshed
06-12-2010, 06:32
Naw, unless you screw it up by holding it up with swords.....
So... That's a bad thing.......?? :D