PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Northbound section hike?

mtnbkrpnk
06-09-2010, 23:51
Hello all, I am planning a northbound section from NOC to Virginia in August. Shooting for 16 days. Anyone with any recent experience in this area of the trail? I've done two section hikes so far and both were in cold months. Just curious as to what I should be aware of for summer months, where you might recommend resupply points along the way and any other helpful advice. Thanks!

Blissful
06-10-2010, 09:20
Stecoah region is tough hiking. You've got Smokies, Roan Mtn. Balds. 320 miles? Can't do that in 16 days. (!)

Cookerhiker
06-10-2010, 09:59
Arguably the most arduous ascent of your whole hike greets you when you leave the NOC as you ascend Swim then Cheoah Balds. Perhaps this is by design? I don't want to second guess your conditioning, just pointing out the facts. Have you considered doing this stretch southbound starting in Damascus? That way, you start out easy and work your way to the steeper ups and downs which begin with Roan Mountain.

mtnbkrpnk
06-11-2010, 11:59
I may do less mileage, but I am planning 16 days. I do know about the elevation changes and will plan accordingly. Thanks for the heads up on it though. I'm not going with overconfidence on this trip, but I do have excellent conditioning. Finished Neels Gap to NOC in 5.5 days in March. :)