PDA

View Full Version : New Book on Thru-Hiking Gear

BookBurner
11-02-2004, 13:30
I just wanted to let everyone considering a thru-hike know that my new book, "The Enlightened Thru-Hiker: Backpacking Gear For A Successful A.T. Thru-Hike", is now available at www.enlightenedthruhiker.com (http://www.enlightenedthruhiker.com). In the book, I discuss the full spectrum of gear needed for an A.T. thru-hike, the popular options available to satisfy those needs, the pros and cons of each option, and my personal preferences. I also share thru-hiker tips and secrets as well as some funny stories that happened to me along the way to Maine. The book is specific to an A.T. thru-hike and the unique conditions you will likely encounter on the trail.

If you've never hiked a long trail or been exposed to the world of thru-hiking gear, visit the website and learn a little bit more about the insight that the book provides into this special type of backpacking.

-- BookBurner
Ga. to Me. 2002

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com (http://www.enlightenedthruhiker.com)

hikerjohnd
01-06-2005, 15:15
I just got my copy of this book. While I have not delved deeply into its inner workings, so far it seems to be a pretty comprehensive overview, aimed at beginning thru-hikers. Roane has taken the time to discuss, in some detail, many of the various options on major equipment items, outlining strengths and weaknesses. He does an excellent job of remaining neutral (for most items) when discussing options, but concludes each section with his opinion and why items did/didn't work for him.

His appendices are informative and help the reader locate information on the various items discussed throughout the book. Additionally, the appendices give a prospective thru hiker a beginning frame of reference for basic planning.

I discovered the book was published in a three ring binder after I placed my order and before receiving the book and began to dread the 'home published' book that would soon be sitting on my doorstep. I envisioned something hastily written in Microsoft Word, printed out, and slapped into a binder. The quality of Roane's work is far superior to what I have outlined above and his decision to publish in a binder seems like a well thought out and intelligent decision. With the work in this format, as he points out on his website, I can add to or take away from the material as I see fit. As I begin to plan my hike, I can keep all gathered information in one place (although I would have like to have been given a few pockets to put things in besides the ones attached to the binder, but $0.99 at CVS can easily remedy that).

As I have stated, this book is targeted at beginner thru-hikers. Anyone with long distance hiking experience would not find much new information, but having a reference like this to compare various elements of hiking would be an asset to any hiker's library.

At a mere $16 + shipping, The Enlightened Thru-Hiker is a bargain. With all the books and guides on the market today, it is nice to see something targeted at thru hiking the Appalachian Trail, and one that discusses only the things that thru-hikers need to know (I doubt many thru hikers are toting children with them). Roane has limited his topic to the AT, and does not pretend to imply that his thoughts and discussions apply to other long distance trails, although lightweight backpacking tenants can apply anywhere.

:D and that's my opinion