PDA

View Full Version : Female hiking partners

julia123xyz
06-10-2010, 08:56
Hi Gals,

Not sure where to post this but this forum seems appropriate...

I'd love to touch base with some of the women who are planning a thru in 2011. I'm researching for a solo mid-March NOBO. I know as people develop their respective paces they leap-frog, push ahead, fall behind... But I think it would bring comfort to my husband who will be staying home, fretting over my safety and well-being, to know that I'm not reeeeeally alone out there, that I will have female counterparts, and the level of comradery and support for each other is SUPREME!

Give me shout! Roll call please! :)

Blissful
06-10-2010, 09:22
You will NOT be alone. Lots of hikers start then. Might also check out the 2011 Class thread

julia123xyz
06-10-2010, 09:49
Thanks, Blissful. Yep, I'm checking out the Class 2011 thread ... actually, I'm lurking all OVER Whiteblaze! Great site. Priceless info. Great dynamic!

joanwest
06-10-2010, 13:50
You certainly will have other female counterparts. I'm also planning a solo NOBO for 2011, so maybe I'll see you out there next year. In the meantime, feel free to touch base.

art gypsy
06-10-2010, 14:14
I'll be leaving early to mid march. I am a professional photographer documenting my thru hike so I may take it a bit slower than some but I WILL finish next year, even if I have to flipflop. My husband can't join me and I know he would feel better if there was someone accompanying me. I am a vegetarian so getting my maildrops will be extra important but I don't want to have to hitch alone.

Art Gypsy

julia123xyz
06-10-2010, 14:25
Hi Art Gypsy,

Still a while away but would love to look for you at the starting gate.

You'll know be by the big idiot-grin on my face. I'll look for the gal with the 3 Nikons strung around her neck! :)

Hope the timing works out! We'll keep in touch. Thanks!

julia123xyz
06-10-2010, 14:27
You certainly will have other female counterparts. I'm also planning a solo NOBO for 2011, so maybe I'll see you out there next year. In the meantime, feel free to touch base.

Hope to see you out there! Thanks Joan!

wsgrif
06-12-2010, 12:35
Would like to team up with some female hiking compansions for a week or a two-week hike this summer. I'm not yet brave enough to quit my job and do the whole Appy trail - not yet anyway... but looking to get away and enjoy nature and get some good hiking in. I live in the Va. Beach area. Anybody want to go or have any information on women or co-ed groups that are going?

Thanks. wgrif

wsgrif
06-12-2010, 12:37
What's a NOBO?

tnwolf51
06-12-2010, 15:35
north bound = nobo

Movie
06-22-2010, 10:21
Hey I'm hiking from the Telephone Pioneer Shelter (NY) Nobo from July 7th to the 10th. Anyone interested in linking up?

game83
06-28-2010, 00:36
Julia... not sure about it just yet... but our paths may cross in 2011. A seed has been planted and it is time to return.

TinaLouise
06-30-2010, 10:03
Hi Gals,

that I will have female counterparts, and the level of comradery and support for each other is SUPREME! :)

I just "tried" to do a 7 day hike with 4 guys. They did all the planning, didn't even ask me for any input. They sent me an e-mail before we left out, with a itenaray of each day's hike. The first day was 11+ miles, second day was listed at "10 easy miles", 3rd day 11 miles, 4th day 5, 5th day 3.5, 6th day 7 miles. We did do a "practice" hike before this and I had no trouble keeping up with these guys. On the "real" hike though, they were hiking faster than me. I could keep up but had to take lots of breaks (stops for less than 30 seconds to catch my breath). And I started feeling that they were getting upset at me for slowing them down. About lunch time, I asked if they had a "plan B" because I knew that after we ate, we had to get over Blood Mt and there is no camping in that section. I needed time to get my sugar under control too. (I've got low blood sugar and the extra pushing I was doing trying to keep up with the guys had caused it to drop) Asked them about plan B and they said "NO, there's no plan b"!! At this point I knew I could recover and catch up with them later (like a few days later when they were doing those short mile days) but I just didn't feel like hiking with them anymore. I pulled out of the hike altogether and made plans to go home.
Finding hiking partners that you feel comfortable with is a very hard thing to do. I've not found one yet. And I wanted very much to do that 7 day hike. I think if I had not been the only female, maybe there would have been a "plan B"??? I don't know??? Anyways, I learned a lesson, I would rather hike with at least one other female in the group. I think having a little bit of support would have helped me to continue the hike.

good luck with your search for a hiking partner...
TinaLouise

Liv2Ride
06-30-2010, 18:24
...Finding hiking partners that you feel comfortable with is a very hard thing to do. I've not found one yet.

I agree. It's nearly impossible to find a hiking partner where both of you are able to gel. Whether it be male or female. Hence the reason why so many take the walk alone. Ironic since there are sooooo many folks out there that talk so much about how much they love getting out there and living in the great outdoors. I've noticed that there are more people with a milage goal rather than a goal of simply covering some ground and enjoying the moment.

Daydream Believer
06-30-2010, 19:54
Would like to team up with some female hiking compansions for a week or a two-week hike this summer. I'm not yet brave enough to quit my job and do the whole Appy trail - not yet anyway... but looking to get away and enjoy nature and get some good hiking in. I live in the Va. Beach area. Anybody want to go or have any information on women or co-ed groups that are going?

Thanks. wgrif

I just saw your post. I live right down the road from you in Suffolk! We're practically neighbors! :D

I solo hiked this Spring about 7 days. My husband worried about me and it would have been nice to have another girl to hang out with. I ended up hanging out with a group of guys actually that treated me like a little sister. We'd mostly hike alone at our own pace during the day and meet up at the shelters at night. I had a wonderful time though and would do it again.

If you want to go out again this Fall, I hope to be going again...with or without my husband. If I go alone or hubby comes along, you would be welcome to join us. Neither of us are very fit so we're pretty slow! :o

ExplorerAtHeart
07-02-2010, 15:36
Hey! I live a few miles north of you guys on the peninsula! (im a guy though)

FritztheCat
07-02-2010, 18:16

Thanks. wgrif

Wgrif, check out http://www.meetup.com/OCBackpackers/. Obsessive Compulsive Backpackers. We're a co-ed group but our organizer does do "Ladies Only" hikes. We have several hikes coming up and this will be a great way for you to do some awesome hikes.

:welcome from Virginia Beach!!!!

ExtraSharp
07-28-2010, 08:34
I'm also interested in thru hiking in 2011 and would like to discuss perhaps hiking together as I'm looking for a compatible hiking partner and this would also help my hubby to feel more comfortable. Do you have any questions for me?

Free Range Chicken
08-12-2010, 11:08
Hello! I am thinking about thru hiking in 2011, NOBO, leaving mid March also. It makes a lot of sense to me to have a community of hikers in place at the beginning. I am in GA, so I am somewhat familiar with this end, but still...

HawksLanding
08-18-2010, 14:14
Hi,
I'm in the SNP (Shenandoah Natl Park) area, and would like to hook up with some female partners/planners/kindred spirits re a thru hike in 2011. Even if you're just considering it, I'd love to have some folks to chat with. Also would like to hike in the SNP this summer and fall to get in shape and also to prepare for thru-hike down the road. BTW, I'm near Charlottesville and also near Sperryville/Luray, the Thornton Gap entrance to the Park. Finally, has anyone taken the 5 day AT course to prepare (Mountain City TN), and is anyone going to ALDHA in October in WV?

lynnmarie
08-19-2010, 00:14
Hi!
I'm planning on starting mid-March, NOBO, if all goes as plans. I'm training right now on the West Coast and I'm getting more excited/obsessive as the date gets nearer. I would love to compare notes with other solo female hikers. I just finished reading Jean Deeds book, "There are Mountains to Climb," and I just started Kelly Winters, "Walking Home." Both are first person accounts of women who have completed the AT solo and I know I feel more mentally prepared after reading their accounts. I was thinking about giving one of these texts to my family to read for peace of mind. Well... maybe peace-of-mind is not the best term to use here, but more informed knowledge on what we will be experiencing. Hope to see you all out there! Lynn

Free Range Chicken
08-19-2010, 12:21
The 5 day course sounds interesting, and TN is possible for me. Do you know when the next course will be?

Rockjock
08-19-2010, 12:58
Hi!
I just started Kelly Winters, "Walking Home." Lynn

I really enjoyed that book, I am curently reading AWOL on the AT. Hike alot in GSMNP but not able to get more than 1 week of vacation at a time.

Have fun

Rain Man
08-19-2010, 19:00
... I just started Kelly Winters, "Walking Home."

She's a WBer and will autograph your book for you, if you want. Did mine. Amazin' Grace on here. I think has two accounts with same name. Very nice lady.

Rain:sunMan

speedbump
08-20-2010, 08:38
I am also 46 y/o female. And am trying to get life together to start a thru hike 2011. I was interested in hiking with someone for safety. You can email me at [email protected] if you want to discuss this more !

:banana

Sassy05
08-27-2010, 07:05
I want to do a section in the Tennessee-Virginia area in probably May 2011. I currently live in eastern NC.

Turtle*
08-27-2010, 09:29
My son and I are starting mid march NOBO also. I am too scared to hike it alone so I am bringing my 14 year old with me. We would love to hook up with some solo chics.

aimeeg97
08-27-2010, 10:08
I would love to thru hike in 2011 but I know I won't be ready yet. However, I live in GA and would love to hike a couple of days with you. If you are flying into Atlanta, I can pick you up and head out with you. Then you will at least have someone to start with and meet someone in the first few days. Let me know if you are interested.

Kristen
08-29-2010, 14:50
Hi Julia and others - I am also planning to hike NOBO in 2011. At this point, I don't know if I will be solo or not...still waiting for a friend to decide. I do know that my family is not thrilled with the idea of me hiking solo, so I will certainly be in touch with all of you other female solo hikers more once I find out. Maybe for those of us interested, we could at least plan to meet each other at the beginning and look out for one another along the way. Looking forward to it!!

bramblingbird
08-30-2010, 12:14
Hi everyone!
I am thinking about starting at the beginning of March. At the moment the plans are that my (guy) friend and I are going to hike it together. I really like the idea of having a partner, and my parents certainly like the idea too. They are not comfortable with the idea of me walking "alone" (even though on the AT your rarely alone). But I understand where they are coming from so I haven't argued. But, I haven't hiked with my friend in awhile, so I don't know his pace, so it's good to know who else is going to be on the trail in case we decide to separate.

I really look forward to seeing you lovely ladies out on the trail next year!

Oma Betsy
09-06-2010, 09:48
I also hope to thru hike 2011.My husband feels the same way! Just returned from 3 weeks hiking in VT on the Long Trail. A huge wakeup call! I could come join you for a hike in SNP this fall. A 6-8 hr drive for me. Also could go to the smokies. Not much around Louisville where I live.

Betsy

PS I'm 56.

Jessetfan
10-13-2010, 16:18
I know I'm late to the party, but I'm planning a NOBO starting in mid-March, and I'd love to hook up with some other women. I tend to be a pretty slow hiker, and what I'm hoping for is a partner who wants to meet up in camp and maybe for lunch, but I think being with someone 24/7 for six months give or take would drive me a little batty. Anyone looking for a similar type of partner?

julia123xyz
10-16-2010, 21:37
My apology to all you gals for starting this thread and then dropping out.
My 2011 NOBO thru looks like it's not going to happen. :-( I'm seriously bummed. BUT, I'll continue spending as much time on the trail as possible. Next year, August 2011 I'll be spending the whole month on the AT in Maine, covering the last 200 miles (or the first for you SOBO'ers)!

Oma Betsy, how was The Long Trail? "Wake up call" in what way? Good, I hope!

bramblingbird
10-17-2010, 16:13
Well, it looks like things have changed for me a bit as well. My friend has decided he has other things to do so it looks like I'm solo! Depending on job stuff might push my start date back, so I'm not really sure when I'm starting at all, but I'll be there.

See you on the trail next year!

bandit
10-18-2010, 15:17
count me in! i'm starting some time between march 10-20th (logistics haven't been completely figured out yet). another fantastic gal is trying to make things work out so she can join me. otherwise solo.

maybe we can have a girls' night out on/off the trail next summer.. :D

Maddie13
10-24-2010, 19:00
Hey, I plan on doing a thru hike starting early March NOBO and I want to try to finish late July/Early August. I will probably be taking a dog, but I am in need of a female partner that would be up for atleast 15 miles a day.
It would give my parents peace of mind if I had a partner to start off with.
:banana

Mistie
10-27-2010, 11:55
I'm giving it some serious thought but my friends and family feel the same and don't want me to hike it "alone". I'd like to leave in April ....where are you?

IamCONDOR
11-27-2010, 11:36
hey ladies! I'm NOBO thru solo hiking 2011! can't wait to meet you all out there!

dlucy
12-01-2010, 13:53
I'm planning a solo thru-hike in 2011, as well, and my husband is staying behind. I saw several references to making husbands/parents comfortable with this thread, so here's the compromise that my husband and I reached - I will carry a gizmo that works as an emergency personal locator beacon and that sends messages. http://www.rei.com/product/784892 The reviews on it are a little back and forth, but basically boil down to poor customer service on set-up (which presumably will be ironed out early after getting the equipment). Anyway, this will send out a "rescue me" message to emergency personnel (if you've got a bone sticking out of your leg), a "god what was I thinking come get me" message to friends/family (if you've just had enough), and a pre-designated message that you can shoot out at will ("made it to camp tonight"). It apparently feeds into a personalized web-page so your friends and family can track your progress and make sure you're still kicking along, that you're on track to meet up for whatever rendezvous you may have planned, etc. I'm not thrilled about the extra weight, but since my husband is otherwise super-supportive of the fact that I am planning to leave him for 6 months, what can I say?

(Ps - they say battery life is about 7 days if you transmit daily, so that works out pretty well for re-supply).

TERRIVERO
12-09-2010, 16:48
I too will be a first tome nobo.. late feb early march... I am from fla... Lol Ive gotta no worried about the wildlife but i am concerned about the ppl I think the buddy system might help me as well anyone else ?? Oh btw I am new to the boards.. 1st post... :) hi ya'll

LoneRidgeRunner
12-09-2010, 16:59
I just "tried" to do a 7 day hike with 4 guys. They did all the planning, didn't even ask me for any input. They sent me an e-mail before we left out, with a itenaray of each day's hike. The first day was 11+ miles, second day was listed at "10 easy miles", 3rd day 11 miles, 4th day 5, 5th day 3.5, 6th day 7 miles. We did do a "practice" hike before this and I had no trouble keeping up with these guys. On the "real" hike though, they were hiking faster than me. I could keep up but had to take lots of breaks (stops for less than 30 seconds to catch my breath). And I started feeling that they were getting upset at me for slowing them down. About lunch time, I asked if they had a "plan B" because I knew that after we ate, we had to get over Blood Mt and there is no camping in that section. I needed time to get my sugar under control too. (I've got low blood sugar and the extra pushing I was doing trying to keep up with the guys had caused it to drop) Asked them about plan B and they said "NO, there's no plan b"!! At this point I knew I could recover and catch up with them later (like a few days later when they were doing those short mile days) but I just didn't feel like hiking with them anymore. I pulled out of the hike altogether and made plans to go home.
Finding hiking partners that you feel comfortable with is a very hard thing to do. I've not found one yet. And I wanted very much to do that 7 day hike. I think if I had not been the only female, maybe there would have been a "plan B"??? I don't know??? Anyways, I learned a lesson, I would rather hike with at least one other female in the group. I think having a little bit of support would have helped me to continue the hike.

good luck with your search for a hiking partner...
TinaLouise

That's a shame Tina....You should have been included and had a say in the planning.. and hiking partners should be willing to adjust to the limitations of individuals who may not be able to keep up....Just never hike with that group again....They seem very selfish and inconsiderate...

rolling thunder
01-23-2011, 04:06
I'm also interested in thru hiking in 2011 and would like to discuss perhaps hiking together as I'm looking for a compatible hiking partner and this would also help my hubby to feel more comfortable. Do you have any questions for me?

I am also looking for a partner or two or three - safety comes in numbers. When are you planning on leaving? I am in my forties and my expected pace is slow. God's willing, I would like to start in Georgia, but I have to wait until sometime in April to go being that I am in school. Hopefully we can meet up, if not, I wish you all the best.:sun

Grace n Glory
01-30-2011, 23:12
hi I am Grace N Glory I am looking to hike with a lady in 2012, I have already done a through with my husband in 2010 so I am well able to hike with a partner.I am 57 and am in pretty good shape,for the trail.We did the hike in 5 mo.If you look up walking Man and Grace N Glory on ATC web sight or trailphone.net you can see our walk.

skerry
02-04-2011, 11:51
I'll be out there in mid-April, planning to leave on the 14th. Not doing the approach trail. I can't wait to meet all of you - we're going to have a great time!

tinydancer
02-07-2011, 02:42
Hi Ladies
I've never hiked for a whole day. I've only camped at a camp ground. I want to change that by easing into becoming a sectional AT hiker. My goal is to hike with an experienced hiker for two or three days during the week of April 16-24th, 2011 (then for a week sometime this summer). I realize that whomever I hike with would have to be a laid-back person since I've never done this before.

My hope is to just enjoy being out there. I'm relatively fit as I'm a high school dance instructor, but am aware that the AT requires a different kind of endurance so this whole 11 miles in a day thing might be too much for me right now.

Are any of you willing to let this newby walk with you for 2 or 3 days during that week? I live just north of Charlotte, NC and am willing to drive to meet someone who might be a good match for me to hike with.

Thanks and good luck to all you who enter and exit this year!

ashleyatefeh
02-22-2011, 15:08
I have been planning my thru hike for over a year, with a significant someone only to be highly, highly disappointed. I only have a six month window from my graduate program and am now in the predicament of deciding whether im going to continue solo. It is so comforting to see others, especially women going at it alone! I’m planning a start date of March 13th.
:sun

Turtle Feet
02-22-2011, 15:21
I have been planning my thru hike for over a year, with a significant someone only to be highly, highly disappointed. I only have a six month window from my graduate program and am now in the predicament of deciding whether im going to continue solo. It is so comforting to see others, especially women going at it alone! I’m planning a start date of March 13th.

Ashley, I'm starting the 13th too. I'm staying at the Hikers Hostel the night of the 12th and they drop you at the trail head (or at the approach i you'd like). I'm not doing the approach, so I'll probably see you out there.

I'll be the old, slow turtle!

tf

maybeesal
02-22-2011, 15:52
Hi!
I have been planning a 2011 nobo hike since last summer. However, the closer I get to my estimated start date (March 19) the more pressure I'm getting to at least start out with another partner. It sounds like a fair amount of people start around mid-March so I'm not too worried about being alone, but I am interested to see anyone else who's thinking about starting that weekend as well. Really excited about this adventure and it's great to see that there will be some other solo females out there!

Turtle Feet
02-22-2011, 18:20
If you guys haven't "registered" with the "Class of 2011" Thru-Hiker registry, you should. It will put you on the WhiteBlaze "Class of 2011" list. They list who is starting by week, so you could pm the people starting the same week you are, see if anyone wants a hiking partner for a few days.

You can find the registry on the Thru-Hiker Pages, Class of 2011, "Registry" thread.

On your Home Page, left-hand column at the bottom there's a link to all the "Class" lists, just roll you mouse over that link and the Class of 2011 is the first option, you can see everyone listed there.

See you all out there....

tf

MissPak
03-01-2011, 00:55
Hello everyone, I'm' in Georgia and would love to do my first thru-hike in mid march/april. Please let me know if anyone wants to group up. This will be my first big hike, but I'm a good sport and I push myself. Let me know please!

NYTrailAngel
03-01-2011, 22:02
Hello ladies!
I am not a thru-hiker, but someone who would love to "pay it forward," as a dear friend told me of the trail angels that he met along his 2005 thru hike. I live in the Catskills but spend lots of time in Southern NY/Northern NJ on the weekends, and more over the summer months.
Anyhow, if there is anything I can to do help out... give you a lift, take you to lunch, etc. let's connect!

Lillianp
03-03-2011, 00:28
I'm so excited for all of you starting this year! (And jealous.) You all will be having such a great adventure. I live in eastern mass, but hopefully I'll be out on the AT doing hikes at some point this spring/summer so maybe I'll see some of you out there! :-D

PipingLass
03-03-2011, 19:59
I really hope to thru hike in 2012... but I need to get together the financial part, and find a female hiking companion. (For my Dad's peace of mind.)

gipcgirl
03-03-2011, 21:45
Ashley, I'm starting the 13th too. I'm staying at the Hikers Hostel the night of the 12th and they drop you at the trail head (or at the approach i you'd like). I'm not doing the approach, so I'll probably see you out there.

I'll be the old, slow turtle!

tf
Hey Turtle Feet
I am starting on the 12th and doing the approach trail, I guess that means we willprobably meet up on the 13th sometime when you start. How excited are we. Take care.

Red Hat
03-04-2011, 17:31
Hey Turtle Feet
I am starting on the 12th and doing the approach trail, I guess that means we willprobably meet up on the 13th sometime when you start. How excited are we. Take care.

It's a tradition to hit Helen on St Paddy's Day (at least it's my tradition)... hope to see you along the trail but especially at the Irish Pub on the evening of the 17th... I can pick you up at Unicoi, if you like...

Turtle Feet
03-04-2011, 20:09
Hey Turtle Feet

I'll most definitely look for you Gipcgirl! Have a safe trip to Amicalola!!!

Turtle Feet
03-04-2011, 20:15
It's a tradition to hit Helen on St Paddy's Day (at least it's my tradition)... hope to see you along the trail but especially at the Irish Pub on the evening of the 17th... I can pick you up at Unicoi, if you like...

I'd forgotten all about St. Paddy's Day! I just may take you up on that Red Hat... of course, who's to say I'll even be as far as Unicoi by the 17th. :o

ashleyatefeh
03-07-2011, 10:20
I cannot wait to meet all of you!

See you soon!

Ashley

heatherw1013
03-07-2011, 16:43
Hello fellow hikers,
I am in NJ and will be thru hiking 2012 NOBO. I plan on doing some weekend trips this summer/fall if anyone is interested in meeting up or even possibly thinking of a thru for 2012 as I will be looking for a partner for the thru next year as well. Im 24 and looking for backpackin buddies.
Message me if you are interested :)

flatbread
03-08-2011, 15:22
planning to head to georgia the first of april or thereabouts. have already completed the trail in 2005. done part of the pacific trail too.

would love the company

Southern Skies
03-27-2011, 21:47
I'll be doing a section hike from Unicoi to NOC starting the morning of 4-9-11. Anyone reading this who will be there around that time? I'd love to have a face or name to look for as I've never backpacked overnight alone. It would be really really comforting! Feel free to pm me :)

lmattson
03-28-2011, 08:23

Thanks. wgrif

I'm in C-Ville. Just let me know when....I'll be there. I was thinking of doing the Shenandoah NP this summer. I would love to have companions.

lmattson
03-28-2011, 08:34
I just saw your post. I live right down the road from you in Suffolk! We're practically neighbors! :D

I solo hiked this Spring about 7 days. My husband worried about me and it would have been nice to have another girl to hang out with. I ended up hanging out with a group of guys actually that treated me like a little sister. We'd mostly hike alone at our own pace during the day and meet up at the shelters at night. I had a wonderful time though and would do it again.

If you want to go out again this Fall, I hope to be going again...with or without my husband. If I go alone or hubby comes along, you would be welcome to join us. Neither of us are very fit so we're pretty slow! :o

Me too, me too. I live outside of Charlottesville. It's a GREAT jumping off point to the SNP. I'd love to do a week or two weeks this summer.

lmattson
03-28-2011, 08:36
Hi,
I'm in the SNP (Shenandoah Natl Park) area, and would like to hook up with some female partners/planners/kindred spirits re a thru hike in 2011. Even if you're just considering it, I'd love to have some folks to chat with. Also would like to hike in the SNP this summer and fall to get in shape and also to prepare for thru-hike down the road. BTW, I'm near Charlottesville and also near Sperryville/Luray, the Thornton Gap entrance to the Park. Finally, has anyone taken the 5 day AT course to prepare (Mountain City TN), and is anyone going to ALDHA in October in WV?

Hey! I live outside of C-Ville. We should definitely get together and do some mile in the SNP this summer. I am very interested in doing the entire park this summer.

flatbread
03-28-2011, 11:06
i'm planning to leave about that time. pls call @ 617-965-4826 oR cell 617-281-8667
or e-ma8il [email protected]
thanks flatbread (nena)

Blissful
03-28-2011, 17:04
PM me - I live in Greene County. Would like to do something this fall SNP-wise unless my section this April in PA is put off due to work and I will do it then. SNP is much better actually in the fall or spring.