PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Trail Runners

Lostone
06-10-2010, 11:16
I have been a boot man, well I am getting older and looking to save some weight on the feet during the summer.

what do you look for in a trail runner???

Weight is obvious to me.
Tread Pattern.

I have been hiking in new balance I picked up at Kohls on sale, but my feet are always wet and I really dislike it.

Suggests?

Phreak
06-10-2010, 11:30
Look for a shoe that is a perfect fit to your foot. I can't imagine hiking in boots.

I'm partial to Salomon XA Pro Ultras (both waterproof and non-waterproof versions).

RGB
06-10-2010, 11:31
I have been a boot man, well I am getting older and looking to save some weight on the feet during the summer.

Weight is obvious to me.
Tread Pattern.

I have been hiking in new balance I picked up at Kohls on sale, but my feet are always wet and I really dislike it.

Suggests?

I suggest anything made by Vasque. They're pretty good when water gets thrown into the equation. I think some may even have Gortex, but they are breathable at the same time. Surprisingly enough, Salomon makes good runners too.

fiddlehead
06-10-2010, 11:33
I look for one that is well made, has lots of room in it, good tread (for slippery rocks), and wide toe box.
I used to love the Montrail Vitesse but they got bought out and started making a cheaper shoe that is nowhere near the quality of the Vitesse.

I buy them at least a size too big.
if you buy one that fits you now, it will be too small later.
Lots of threads in the past on this subject.

mister krabs
06-10-2010, 11:42
Lots off mesh and a wicking liner make my NB MT909's dry fast. I also like the stiff insert in the midsole for stopping rocks.

bigcranky
06-10-2010, 11:48
Fit is number one. Number two is fit. Etc.

The problem is that something can fit well and feel great in the store, then rip your feet to shreds climbing a steep hill with a pack. Stores like REI will take the shoe back if this happens, which is nice.

Lots of mesh. Flexible and soft. I have been using the Salomon XA Comp for several years -- they are softer than the XA Pro.

JAK
06-10-2010, 11:54
The most important think I look for in a trail runner is fit.
It needs to have room in the toes, and have the arch support in the right place, and have enough room for thin, medium, and possibly thick socks, depending on the season, and be able to be worn loosely snug, without being too loose or having the laces put too much pressure on my high instep. I don't look for fit first though, because it requires trying them on, so that comes last.

The first thing I look for in a trail runner is that it needs to absorb the least amount of water. This could be measures as the difference in weight between dry and soaked, and drained for say 30 seconds. The less water it absorbs and holds, the quicker it will dry, and the drier my socks and feet will remain. A trail runner that holds more water will get wet and keep my socks and feet wet. This is especially important in wet snow conditions, where the melting snow will keep my socks wet, which will in turn conduct more heat which will melt more snow. The trail runners need to hold very little water when soaked, so that they will not keep my socks wet but allow them to stay dry and keep the snow from melting. This is needed all year round though, not just in winter.

The second thing I look for is protection from the trail, rocks and sticks and things, while getting the job done at the minimum weight, without too much extra material that is only there for show. So I am looking for something very light, but some protection is also needed, depending on the trail and how much weight I have on. This is more important on some trails than others, and more important when you are more encumbered because you have less ability to place your feet carefully, and you have more weight behing misplaced kicks and stumbles. Protection is needed underneath your arch, and at the toe, and on the sides of your feet also. I don't want too much protection. I want the right amount. So as I am looking for the

The third thing I look for is support and cushion and tread and traction, and those things are also somewhat relative to the type of trail, and how encumbered I am. I have found in general that a trail runner needs surprisingly little tread, most of the time, except that a thicker tread will last longer. It doesn't need to be super thick or agressive. Most are over-done for show. Usually if I get enough protection against impact, I will also get enough support and cushion and tread and traction, but I check for these things next. Icy winter conditions demand some special attention. The soft rubber of trail runners, or running shoes, or even running flats, are often the best for snow and ice and wet rocks.

That is pretty much it. First I look for something as light as possible, that will absorb the least amount of water. Then I check to ensure it provides the protection I need against impact. Then I try them on and check them out for fit, as well as support, cushion, tread, and traction. Then finally, price. It is always good to get a good price, and sometimes I just don't have the money anyway, so I have to wait.

My current trail runners are actually light weight running flats. Adidas Adizeros. Very light weight, zero water absorbing, excellent drainage, and surprizingly good traction and cushion even though they have no tread. On the down-side, they don't offer much protection against impact, or support against over-pronation, but they are reasonably stable, and as long as I am unencumbered, like under 200 pounds total weight on feet ( 15 pounds skin out plus 185 pound body on my 6 foot frame), then they work for me on the Fundy Footpath, pretty much year round, or at least when it is not too icy to be unsafe. It is a very rugged footpath, with lots of ups and downs, and alot of falled trees and stuff to work around, and some landslides here and there this year also.

Just a little more rubber would be nice, to get more wear out of them.

thecaptain
06-10-2010, 11:54
Salomon non-gortex.....I get about 600 miles out of a pair...no break-in required

JAK
06-10-2010, 11:59
Soft leather can be a very nice material. It would be nice if you could get a soft rubber trail runner tread on a lightweight soft leather ankle boot. 10-16 oz per shoe. Leather has some nice qualities. I might make myself a pair of moccassins someday, and then glue on some sort of a soft rubber sole and tread. If I can do a good job of it I will never again have to worry about my favourite trail runners wearing out and then being discontinued. At $100 per pair, every 3-12 months or so, it is perhaps the DIY project that would have the greatest payofff, if you can find a design that works for you.

redseal
06-10-2010, 12:28
I use the La Sportiva Wildcat GTX. For a little background, I started out with boots, then mids, then finally trail runners. I have narrow feet and skinny ankles. Boots and mids liked to tear up my ankles and just above the back of my heel no matter what type or size I tried. I think I went through about 6 different pair. Then I switched to my current shoe.

The first time out I did a weekend with about 15 miles and 8,000 ft of elevation gain/loss. Not one issue. They also worked well on the slippery rocks I encountered. They do get a little hot from the Goretex, but my feet do not sweat in them more than the previous boots I used. They also dry out quickly.

With all that being said, I only present my experience with them to maybe give you another option to look into. Ultimately, it comes down to fit like many others have stated.

Lostone
06-10-2010, 14:30
Thx for the replies.

Fit has always been a problem with me.

9-10 EEEE depending on the the shape of the shoe.

Most of the suggested trailrunners don't appear to come in widths.........after an online check........

I am guessing a super light weight or mesh fabric.......I worry about gore tex pores getting clogged and not being able to get rid of the moisture fast enought.....had it happen on a couple of pairs of boots.

Blissful
06-10-2010, 15:10
Nice thing about wet trail runners, they dry out a heck of a lot faster. I know they don't feel that great wet, but compared to other stuff one goes through hiking, to me its a non issue.

Kerosene
06-10-2010, 17:21
If you're out there for more than a few days of rain, then any boot will get wet. The difference being that a GTX boot won't dry for days, plus that membrane helps to bake your feet on warmer days. I don't like wet feet either, but it's going to happen unless I'm only out for the weekend.

JAK mentions it, but subtly. I also require a wide, stiff toe rand to deflect those pointy rocks that try to jump up and bite you at the end of a long day.

bigcranky
06-10-2010, 17:36
I'm pretty sure the New Balance trail runners are available in widths. If there is a New Balance store nearby, you can try them on in the shop.

Tinker
06-10-2010, 22:34
If you're out there for more than a few days of rain, then any boot will get wet. The difference being that a GTX boot won't dry for days, plus that membrane helps to bake your feet on warmer days. I don't like wet feet either, but it's going to happen unless I'm only out for the weekend.

JAK mentions it, but subtly. I also require a wide, stiff toe rand to deflect those pointy rocks that try to jump up and bite you at the end of a long day.

X2. Gore-tex (or any other waterproof/hardly breathable insert) in a low top shoe is pretty useless in keeping your feet dry. Even wet grass will wipe off onto your legs and find its way into your socks.
If you want to keep your feet dry you will have to start off with your headgear and be completely covered in waterproof clothing and footwear which is impractical in all but the coldest weather.
If you hike longer than a weekend in the East you will likely get wet. Sometimes it takes a trip to town to dry your socks and shoes.
Btw: Gore-tex is heavily polyurethane coated in footwear to prevent oils and salts from your sweat from making them leak (osmosis). This makes them almost completely non-breathable.
Ventilation is key, and even that doesn't guarantee dry anything on the trail.

bflorac
06-10-2010, 22:40
Well, I also have wide feet. I tried some vasque last year with some success but this year I bought a pair of NB 1500.. Heavy, waterproof but the ARE wide. After a few trial runs I was not sure they are correct for a long trip so I've switched to NB1520 at the last minute. These are much lighter, low cut and I think will dry faster. More like sneakers which I wear all the time. I'm heading out sight unseen with these on Monday for 3 weeks. Wish me luck.

Rocketman
06-11-2010, 07:45

Weight is obvious to me.
Tread Pattern.

Suggests?

Are the New Balance things you are wearing boots, leather athletic shoes, synthetic athletic shoes, trail runners from NB, other?

Can you say why your feet are always wet?

Do you hike/walk in rain, through puddles or streams, or just your feet are wet perhaps because you are wearing cotton socks which take forever to dry?

There are certain types of socks that appear to cause my feet to sweat, and no matter what types of shoes I am wearing, my feet are moist and clammy with those socks.

For your own good, please supply more useful information.

Yukon
06-11-2010, 07:48
I'm partial to Salomon XA Pro Ultras (both waterproof and non-waterproof versions).

+1, I also have both waterproof and non-waterproof versions of this shoe. They are awesome :)

Lostone
06-14-2010, 23:10
Well I ended up with a pair of wide merrills. My feet are just to wide to fit anything neater and lighter. Thx for the suggestions. I did try on a set of 5 10 shoes that were really great, I needed a 10.5 and there are none any where.