PDA

View Full Version : Privacy At Shelters

sevensixtwo187
06-10-2010, 16:36
Good day all.

My wife, son, and I will be making a short 5 day trip in the Smokies next week. To be short and to the point: 4 out of the 5 days we will be staying at shelters. We have never stayed at shelters before and are used to primitive campsites and the tent. My wife was a bit curious about how one can achieve some privacy for a short period of time say for conducting personal hygiene, using the cathole, etc ... I know it probably sounds like a silly question but, to be honest, I was wondering about it myself. :confused:

Thanks to all ...

Tennessee Viking
06-10-2010, 16:51
Good day all.

My wife, son, and I will be making a short 5 day trip in the Smokies next week. To be short and to the point: 4 out of the 5 days we will be staying at shelters. We have never stayed at shelters before and are used to primitive campsites and the tent. My wife was a bit curious about how one can achieve some privacy for a short period of time say for conducting personal hygiene, using the cathole, etc ... I know it probably sounds like a silly question but, to be honest, I was wondering about it myself. :confused:

Thanks to all ...You will not have a whole lot of luck with privacy unless you are the only ones staying at the shelters. The Smokies regulate their shelters with reservations. Short distance hikers must use the shelters. No tenting is permitted. After that any available empty spaces will be given to long-distance hikers, and then are given permission to tent only when the shelter is full. Long-distance hikers are considered hikers that start 50??? miles from the park boundary.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-regs.htm

sevensixtwo187
06-10-2010, 16:58
We have the reservations. I can imagine it might be tought given the number of folks in a shelter. Was just curious about how others handle the situation.

Lyle
06-10-2010, 17:00
Several possibilities, but total privacy probably won't happen.

Most folks will step behind the shelter for some privacy for personal hygiene. If there is a group present, a brief announcement that one would like a few minutes will be respected.

Others will just make an announcement that they need to change clothes, so please turn your heads - this will also be respected.

Most of the guys just announce that they are changing, so if you don't want to see, don't look. Just a courtesy to any women present.

Can always walk off into the woods a bit, but this is no guarantee. I recall some young guys who thought they had found a private spot to hang their shower and were surrounded when another group went out to gather firewood, oops.

Some women get adept at changing in their sleeping bag.

Privacy at a shelter is a rare commodity. It is something we all need to get past and learn to deal with, no need for embarrassment, just be up front with what you need, without asking others to alter their own routines unnecessarily. This intimacy is one of the reasons for the family bonds that become very strong among hikers.

Jack Tarlin
06-10-2010, 17:03
Sevens:

If you're on the A.T you WILL have to stay shelters.

Good news for your wife: Personal hygeine stuff (catholes, etc.) takes place a bit of ways from the shelter; she should have complete privacy there; simplest thing is to make sure one is behind a large tree.

Things like changing clothes, etc, can usually be handled discreetly in the shelter (like in your sleeping bag) or perhaps behind the shelter.

In any case, it's no big deal, I'm sure you'll all be fine.

sevensixtwo187
06-10-2010, 17:03
Lyle, I figured total privacy was out of the question. I do not have much of an issue with it but my wife is a bit different. What you spoke of should be sufficient I would think.

Tin Man
06-10-2010, 17:05
There is no privacy at shelters, but if the other transients are decent folk they will turn their heads when you change. If you want to wash up, and it isn't raining, just take a short walk into the woods. The privies have a door, no worries there... except that it is a privy. :)

Tractor
06-10-2010, 17:07
It'll be fine but temporary perhaps. Lots can be taken care of in/under the sleeping bag or behind a tarp. Sometimes a nod or a couple of nice words will get others to go around the corner for a couple of minutes if need be. Do be aware others may hike in quietly, even after dark.

RGB
06-10-2010, 17:08
Sevens:

If you're on the A.T you WILL have to stay shelters.

Good news for your wife: Personal hygeine stuff (catholes, etc.) takes place a bit of ways from the shelter; she should have complete privacy there; simplest thing is to make sure one is behind a large tree.

Things like changing clothes, etc, can usually be handled discreetly in the shelter (like in your sleeping bag) or perhaps behind the shelter.

In any case, it's no big deal, I'm sure you'll all be fine.

I think you meant, if you're in the Smokies while on the AT, you have to stay in shelters.

sevensixtwo187
06-10-2010, 17:08
LOL ... I was in the Army for 11 years in the Infantry and I was quite used to using the cathole while a buddy pulled security for me. Momma is a bit more sensitive and I don't think my 12 year old son needs to see too many female parts just yet! :-) We have been spoiled by hiking in a lot of remote areas with low usage were when you pitch your tent, it is just you and that's it. Anyhow, she is not THAT fussy and if she can clean up and do her business out of site then it will be fine. I was just curious to here how you all do that.

sevensixtwo187
06-10-2010, 17:10
Tin Man ... I forgot about the privies! :-)

Lyle
06-10-2010, 17:18
Most (all) of the shelters in the Smokies do not have privies.

I believe that is an accurate statement.

Spokes
06-10-2010, 17:19
Mama always said never let modesty stand in the way of getting into dry clothes.

sevensixtwo187
06-10-2010, 17:21
I guess I thought there were privies at the shelters in the smokies myself ...

Lyle
06-10-2010, 17:40
I just checked my statement above. I guess they are now building privies and many shelters do have them, but not all.

Jack Tarlin
06-10-2010, 18:24
Walkin Dude:

You are, of course, correct. I meant the Smokies is where you'll most likely have to stay in shelters.

Blissful
06-10-2010, 19:19
Privacy goes out the window at shelters. DO the best you can - ie change in sleeping bag, etc. Pick a spot far away from the shelter to go, or go before you come in and when you leave in the AM.
At Jenkins shelter I was sharing it with 8 guys. I was wet from rain and had to change. I went to use the privy - uh, it was an open air one. No walls. I did it behind a rhodo bush, with rain dripping on me. Can't tell you how many times I thought how easy guys have it out there... (the man next to me apologized for having to remove his shirt in front of me) :)

gumball
06-10-2010, 19:42
I'm not sure if any other women answered, but I can answer from a woman's perspective as I am often the only woman or one in the minority in a group of men at the shelter.

Privacy is just not guaranteed. Most often, if I really have to have privacy, I take a walk far in to the woods. Even then, I stop and look around for a bit. While in the shelter, if its raining for example, and I really can't go out and need to change--I'll ask people to turn around or I'll crawl in my bag and change. Or I'll just live with my clothes til its darker.

Its not ideal and I think for all the years I've backpacked, its one of the things I really am still uncomfortable with--but most men are pretty respectful.

bigcranky
06-10-2010, 19:52
I've hiked with my wife and daughter, and we have stayed in plenty of shelters over the years. It's generally fine. Both of them can change inside their sleeping bags -- a good skill to have.

Skidsteer
06-10-2010, 20:24
There is no privacy at shelters, but if the other transients are decent folk they will turn their heads when you change. If you want to wash up, and it isn't raining, just take a short walk into the woods. The privies have a door, no worries there... except that it is a privy. :)

A lot of privies don't have doors. A lot don't have roofs and some don't have walls.

Appalachian Tater
06-10-2010, 20:29
A lot of privies don't have doors. A lot don't have roofs and some don't have walls.Which is ironic because "privy" is from the root meaning private or alone going back into prehistory.

sevensixtwo187
06-10-2010, 20:32
Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I love this sight because of how friendly and willing to help you all are. Please continue to post your thoughts on this if you care to.

warraghiyagey
06-10-2010, 20:42
A lot of privies don't have doors. A lot don't have roofs and some don't have walls.
The worst are the ones with no seats. . . .

fiddlehead
06-10-2010, 20:59
Many women here in Asia can take public baths, change at the beach or even go to the toilet (with privacy) using their sarong.
I remember in Nepal, sometimes public baths is the only place in town with water and many women line up to take their bath.
They don't expose any private parts of their body, yet end up cleaner than most of us.
It is a fine art and your wife may want to consider trying it.
They can be very lightweight (the sarongs) and have other uses (carrying kids, carrying firewood, extra warmth in the bag, towel, wipe up spills, the list goes on and on)
Have fun!

Chip
06-10-2010, 21:26
If we are lucky and arrive at an empty shelter, my wife will clean up first while I stand as a lookout for other hikers who wander in. I let my wife know in advance that other hikers are approaching and like wise let the hikers know my wife needs a little more private time to clean up and change. Another way is to take a short walk away from the shelter and take turns as a lookout while the other cleans up and changes clothes. Also changing in the sleeping bag works well too. :)

Lone Wolf
06-10-2010, 21:34
no such thing as privacy at shelters. unless you be there alone

tlap
06-10-2010, 21:36
I'm surprised no one mentioned a poncho. You can take a bandana 'bath' under it, change clothing under it, and conceal yourself in it when using a cat hole or privy.

Blissful
06-10-2010, 21:40
I've hiked with my wife and daughter, and we have stayed in plenty of shelters over the years. It's generally fine. Both of them can change inside their sleeping bags -- a good skill to have.

Unless your hiking clothes are wet and its raining outside. :)

Blissful
06-10-2010, 21:41
I'm surprised no one mentioned a poncho. You can take a bandana 'bath' under it, change clothing under it, and conceal yourself in it when using a cat hole or privy.

This a good idea but I am just not a poncho person myself.

Spokes
06-10-2010, 22:18

Yep, the first privy in New Jersey is a plastic toilet seat nailed to a box with a hole cut out the top.

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2010, 17:46
I think this is something that will not be as big of a problem as you think it will be.

Skidsteer
06-11-2010, 18:54
I think this is something that will not be as big of a problem as you think it will be.

Exactly. All it takes is a willingness to walk 50-100 yards in a trailless direction and you'll be pretty much alone and invisible to others.

If all else fails, it takes two minutes to set up most tents which is a pretty small time investment even if you put it up just to change and bathe and then take it down.

Speakeasy TN
06-11-2010, 21:06

So that's a bucket, right?:D

sevensixtwo187
06-11-2010, 21:47
You all have brought up some obvious things. Things I should have thought of.

Skidsteer
06-11-2010, 21:53
So that's a bucket, right?:D

Yeah, except you can move a bucket to a more private location.

TinaLouise
06-12-2010, 08:07
me being a female scout leader camping with boy scouts and men leaders, I've run across this problem quite a few times. I announce to the group whatever problem I'm having. Such as, I've got to pee, please all of you look that way, I'm heading over this way. Changing clothes is another story. I use a hammock w/tarp. I can change clothes inside the hammock if I have to. Or I'll use my tarp as a shield and change on the other side of it. I can always just pull out my tarp and get under it without actually setting it up. Another thing I do is hike in skirts. You can put on shorts and then pull the skirt off without showing any body parts. Above the waist, I've got to get under my tarp or inside my hammock. Catholes, I'll take my big bandana and hold it out infront of me. It's a bit uncomfortable but it gives me a little piece of mind. At open privys, I'll hang my bandana to let people know someone is in there.
TinaLouise

sevensixtwo187
06-14-2010, 16:18
We will be setting out tomorrow for our 4 day in the Smokies. Thank you so much to everyone that replied!!

Rick500
06-14-2010, 16:24
Have a great time!

sevensixtwo187
06-14-2010, 16:41
Thank you!!

ShoelessWanderer
06-14-2010, 16:46
Another thing I do is hike in skirts. You can put on shorts and then pull the skirt off without showing any body parts.

I'm so glad you mentioned skirts! I'm surprised no one else had. I always bring a skirt with me on trips so when I get to the parking lot I can change into it and out of my hiking pants. I'm normally on the trail with a group of guys (maybe another few females, but mostly men), so it's nice to be able to get into clean clothes before heading home (which is normally quite a drive)

Sierra Echo
06-14-2010, 16:49
Yep, the first privy in New Jersey is a plastic toilet seat nailed to a box with a hole cut out the top.

The privy at blood mountain smells sooo bad.
I would rather change in front of people then go in that thing.
it does have a roof, sides and a door. but oh man on man!
you can smell that thing before you see it!

Tin Man
06-14-2010, 18:17
The worst are the ones with no seats. . . .

personally, i avoid privies and shelters. for a seat, a fallen tree and open air work much better than a smelly, buggy privy and my tent is just fine for sleeping.

Graywolf
06-14-2010, 21:12
FWIW, Spence Field, Double Spring Gap, Mt. Collins, Ice Water Spring,Pecks Corner, Tri- Corner Knob, and Cosby Knob all have privy's. Hope this information was helpful..Have a good trip..

Graywolf

johnnybgood
06-14-2010, 21:43
personally, i avoid privies and shelters. for a seat, a fallen tree and open air work much better than a smelly, buggy privy and my tent is just fine for sleeping.
Privies and Shelters are the two dirtiest and most avoidable places on the trail. Whats good enough for a bear is good enough for me.

earlyriser26
06-14-2010, 21:53
Change in the woods, sleeping bag, or just ask everyone to look away. Most will follow the look away request. if you are with your husband i would say that is almost 100% certain. One thing I do know. If you see no one all day, they will magically appear just when you decide to go to the bathroom.

sevensixtwo187
06-14-2010, 23:36
I sure wish we weren't required to stay in the shelters. If that were not the case, I too would choose our tent. There has been so much helpful information posted here. Again, much thanks to all of you.

Graywolf
06-15-2010, 00:30
I sure wish we weren't required to stay in the shelters. If that were not the case, I too would choose our tent. There has been so much helpful information posted here. Again, much thanks to all of you.

I carry a tent, hence, I stay in a shelter..

Graywolf
06-15-2010, 00:32
The privy at blood mountain smells sooo bad.
I would rather change in front of people then go in that thing.
it does have a roof, sides and a door. but oh man on man!
you can smell that thing before you see it!

When did a privy get put up at Blood Mountain??

Sierra Echo
06-15-2010, 07:16
When did a privy get put up at Blood Mountain??

I have no idea. But its a two person one.
double the smell!

earlyriser26
06-15-2010, 08:20
I normally never stay in the shelters, but even in the smokies it is advisable to take a tent. For various reasons there are more people than spaces in shelters during busy times. I normally tent near the shelters in the smokies. Yes, if there is room, the rules require you to use them, but I am of the "no harm, no foul school". I have hiked the smokies 7 times and have never seen a ranger. You do risk a potential fine, but if it is that great of an issue just tent at one of the many stealth camping spots.

Hikes in Rain
06-15-2010, 10:33
Just for a different perspective, I hiked the Smokies section in two trips, and saw two rangers and a ridgerunner on the southern side hike, and two ridgerunners on the northern side. Just got lucky, I guess. They were all polite, helpful, and informative; was actually a pleasure meeting them.

sevensixtwo187
06-15-2010, 11:30
We are bringing the tent for a "just in case" scenario & because we will be spending one night in a campsite.

Tin Man
06-15-2010, 12:26
We are bringing the tent for a "just in case" scenario & because we will be spending one night in a campsite.

'just in case' works best if you wait until dark to approach the shelter and declare, 'wow. the shelter is full. guess i will have to tent. oh well' :)

Lone Wolf
06-15-2010, 20:55
Good day all.

Thanks to all ...

i'll reiterate. there is no privacy at a shelter unless you, your wife and son are there alone

Appalachian Tater
06-15-2010, 21:02
If you are worried about your wife's privacy, check this guy out:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22gary%20moody%22%20pit%20toilet

Bear Cables
06-15-2010, 23:32
From another woman's experience...
1)Your wife can change and clean up behind the shelter while you stand as look out.
2) Pull the sleeping bag over you to create a changing room.
3) Bring a small sil nylon tarp to hang over the rafters and create a changing room, or hang rain jackets together over the rafters to make a curtain. This works well in the lower bunks.
4) If it's just a couple of guys in the shelter she can ask them to step out , in my experience guy hikes will offer to do that if a woman makes it known she needs to change.
5) wear a sports bra that covers like a tank top or half tank to take shirts off and still be covered.

Bottom line is you really have to reconsider what is worth being modest about. I'm not saying "let it all hang out", but what's the big deal about a flash of bare back or undies.

Bear Cables
06-15-2010, 23:34

There you go! Why not use the tent as a changing room for your wife. Pitch it, let her clean up and change then take it down when your done. Morning changing can be done in the sleeping bag. Or leave the tent up and take it down in the morning if she wants to change in it.

Graywolf
06-16-2010, 00:05
If you are worried about your wife's privacy, check this guy out:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22gary%20moody%22%20pit%20toilet

Maybe there should be a "Privy Anonomous",:-?

SassyWindsor
06-16-2010, 20:04
NO privacy at shelters, especially in the GSMNP. You'll be lucky to even get a spot in some shelters this time of year. I avoid shelters and stealth camp to get away from the smokers, noises, smells, rats and drinkers. I'm in the camp of those who think shelters should be torn down and used for firewood or privies.

Tin Man
06-16-2010, 20:07
NO privacy at shelters, especially in the GSMNP. You'll be lucky to even get a spot in some shelters this time of year. I avoid shelters and stealth camp to get away from the smokers, noises, smells, rats and drinkers. I'm in the camp of those who think shelters should be torn down and used for firewood or privies.

good camp to be in :)

sevensixtwo187
06-21-2010, 15:59
Guys,

We just returned from our trip. We had a great time and privacy was not an issue at all. Much of this was due to the manners of those out on the trail and much due to our utilizing advice we received from you all here. Thank you all so very much for all of your input. BearCables: My wife very much appreciated your input. :)

Appalachian Tater
06-21-2010, 20:19
We had a great time and privacy was not an issue at all. That is what I thought would happen. Glad to hear your wife had a good time and no problems.