PDA

View Full Version : grommets versus ropes

titanium_hiker
11-02-2004, 14:28
I am thinking about going tarp - our tent leaks and I have no money nor live in a place where you can buy fancy-schmancy tents etc.
I will probably go for a 10ft x 10ft Tyvek sheet (or 3m x 3m, whichever unit they sell it in here) and do all the prep - the washing etc.
However, the question is, should I go for grommets or simply daisy-chain a rope around the outside of the tarp (reinforced.)

I'm also thinking about doing the inca trail - Machu Piccu later this next year, any thoughts on tarps in high altitude?

thanks in advance

apologies for this not being specifically AT

manzana
11-03-2004, 09:17
!Hola!

I have had terrible luck with grommets. I suggest that you try one in a corner of the tarp or, better, a piece of scrap fabric. Really tug on it to insure it will not pop out. They seem to work ok on canvas but not on thinner materials.

buena suerte

manzana

titanium_hiker
11-03-2004, 09:43
have you tried the daisy chain rope idea?
I want the flexiblity to rig my tarp in the multitude of ways, entonces I don't want grommets all over the place.

gracias amigo.

titanium_hiker

Pencil Pusher
11-03-2004, 12:09
How about the internet to view and buy a fancy-schmancy tent or tarp? You obviously have access to it, so it really doesn't matter where you live. How about a bivy bag?

titanium_hiker
11-03-2004, 14:49
lack of cash. i already pumped my parents for cash, don't have a bf. :)
anyway...
I really like the idea of tarp. the openness, the wieght, the freedom...
I am going to make an insect bivy bag for the more buggy nights.

thanks for the input!

I think I've decided to go with the rope idea.

titanium_hiker

bogey
12-17-2004, 06:43
I'm new to this forum, but since I've been temporarily assigned to Virginia, almost within seein' distance of the AT, I'm fascinated by the experiences of others.

anyway, I realize this was posted last month, but regarding tyvek or other light fabrics.. I have pretty good luck folding a corner of the tarp around a rock or other walnut-sized pbject and then tying the rope around that whole knot-looking little clump. the rock keeps the corner of the tarp from shaking loose.

peter_pan
12-17-2004, 09:21
Why not sew loops of gross grain ribbon where ever you want a tie out point.

Easy, light and strong.

Frosty
12-17-2004, 09:27
If you go without grommets, you can put a small rock in a corner of the tarp, and wrap then knot the end of guyline around it. It works amazingly well. You can even use a handful of dirt or sand, though you have to knot it tightly and dirt works less well in the rain.

Caveat: Never tried this with silnylon. It might abraid quickly.

titanium_hiker
12-19-2004, 18:16
yeah, I have tried the rock thing, but in regards to making a tarp instead of using a painter's drop sheet I thought I might use something a bit more permanent.

Oh: what length of rope do you use for your tarp?

thanks
titanium_hiker

SGT Rock
12-20-2004, 09:22
About 10' on each tie out using light line. MAke about 6 of them and put one of those light weigh snap links at one end, that way you can quickly change where they tie into the tap based on need.

titanium_hiker
12-20-2004, 12:13
Thanks.
Um: material: what would you use if your budget was non-existent?

titanium

tribes
12-20-2004, 13:50
learn how to tie a sheetbend to the corners of the tarp. no grommets or tiedowns needed.

titanium_hiker
12-20-2004, 14:11
what the heck is a sheetbend? explaination please. Excuse my ignorance.

Glee
12-20-2004, 14:22
what the heck is a sheetbend? explaination please. Excuse my ignorance.Some sites on how to tie a sheetbend..

http://www.realknots.com/knots/sheetb.htm

http://www.korpegard.nu/knot/index.php?knot=15&hideComments=&showInt=1

This one is the better of the 3
http://www.troop45.com/knots/sheetbend/sheetbend.htm

Good luck

titanium_hiker
12-20-2004, 14:35
thanks glee!

titanium