PDA

View Full Version : S.W. Va hike suggestions...

sam4msu
06-11-2010, 01:09
I am looking for a hike of about 25 miles to do in S.W. Va. I am debating going from Elk Garden to Damascus on the A.T. I am also thinking of something to include ending or beginning at the Partnership shelter. I am also not against doing a loop in or around the Graysons Highlands area. Any reccomendations??

rambunny
06-11-2010, 10:07
You could do 42, Ceres ,to Partnership,sweet 24 miles. If we can help with parking the car here or shuttles-let us know. Bunny @ Happy Hiker Hollow-a full service hiker home. 276-783-3754.

Blissful
06-11-2010, 13:16
Can't go wrong with the Grayson Highland area.

nitegaunt
06-11-2010, 16:28
I am very familiar with the area and I agree that Grayson Highlands is not to be missed. You can park at the Massie Gap parking area and just jump on the AT and do a loop using it and the Pine Mountain trail. There are also plenty of little side journeys and waterfalls in the area to enjoy. A map of the Mount Rogers area is very helpful, too. It's not hard to make your own 25 mile loop there and now is a great time to camp on the mountain. I spent a weekend up there a couple of weeks ago.

Skyline
06-11-2010, 16:40
Park at Grindstone Campground just off VA603. Minor cost, but a lot more secure than some other options.

Take a connector trail to the Mt. Rogers Trail, hike about 4 miles to the AT. Turn north on the AT. Follow the AT north to its intersection with the Pine Mt. Trail. Turn left on the Pine Mt. Trail and hike back to the AT at Rhododendron Gap. Then retrace your earlier steps south on the AT to the Mt. Rogers Trail, then the connector trail, to Grindstone.

Plenty of places to camp on this route, some near water. There are also two AT shelters: Thomas Knob and Wise.

I usually do this at a leisurely pace and stay out two nights. Could be done as a one-nighter.

Rain Man
06-11-2010, 21:00
I am looking for a hike of about 25 miles to do in S.W. Va. ... I am also thinking of something to include ending or beginning at the Partnership shelter. ...

I'm doing a section from Dickey Gap to VA 42/Ceres next weekend (Friday to Monday), spending a night at Partnership, if that interests you. Right now there are 4 in the group. We are spending a night at Happy Hiker Hollow.

You are welcome to tag along, as long as you are clean, personable, don't smoke or chew, can put up with grief, and will carry the trip leader's gear upon request!
:D
Rain:sunMan

sam4msu
06-12-2010, 12:32
Thanks for all of the tips and offers....Rain Man...You have mail.