PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Packs

Sierra Echo
06-11-2010, 16:12
Today I bought a Kelty Redwing 3100 backpack. Does anyone have one of these or any Kelty pack? If so, how do you like it?

Cookerhiker
06-11-2010, 17:40
All I've ever owned is Kelty, first the old external frame packs from the 70s up until 2004 and then the Red cloud. Like it alot.

Toolshed
06-11-2010, 18:26
Today I bought a Kelty Redwing 3100 backpack. Does anyone have one of these or any Kelty pack? If so, how do you like it?
Own 3 Redwing 3100's. Like them all.

Sierra Echo
06-11-2010, 19:29
It seems like I have made a good choice. Its the first big pack I have gotten and I got it at Bass Pro. That place is ALWAYS crowded so I really didn't have any help, except for some poor random person I was pestering. He was a very nice man.

Crash
06-11-2010, 19:53
I own two of them. They were great starter packs for me.
I still use them for 'quicky' loading on a fast get away.
Not the best pack but it is adequate for an under 30 lb load.

Its great for persons who have to be 'organized' and for easily seeing all of the contents with its wrap around zipper.

WagThatTAIL
06-12-2010, 00:13
Same hear. I was looking for a starter pack that would fit me or my wife. We both like the 3100. Got it with my dividend from REI a few weeks back. Good starter back for either of us but one day one of us may have to each have our own or one of us gets a different pack. I did a bit of research on this forum and other sites before I decied on the Kelty 3100. You have to start somewhere so why not on the 3100.

Sierra Echo
06-12-2010, 07:17
I'm really liking it so far. LOL and I havent even gone anywhere yet!
I have discovered i can fit in my Granite Gear day pack and several changes of clothes. This will be perfect for my trip to the Len Foote Hike Inn next month!

Atreus
06-15-2010, 11:22
My first pack was a Kelty Super Tioga 5600. External Frame. Great pack but too big. Learned very quickly that just because you can fit it in the bag, doesn't mean you should. 70 lbs for a 4 day trip. HA! Never again. Live and learn.

copperjohn
07-01-2010, 23:44
I own this pack. This pack is the pack I train with every single day to stay in tip-top trail shape. I hike between 4-10 miles almost everyday with this pack, loaded down with 35 pounds of sand. I love it, although it could use a little more padding in the shoulder straps, but that's all because I'm carrying probably more weight than recommended for the pack. I think it's a very good pack.

As a high school teacher I carry a Kelty Redwing 2650 for all my school supplies and papers, etc. It is also used as a day pack. Again I love the pack. I've had this pack for about 10 years now. I got in high school, carried everything in college and kept it all dry on those rainy days, and now it's serving me after college.

My pack I use on the trail is a Kelty Trekker 3950 External Frame. I love it because it's quite comfortable and I can strap just about anything to the frame. It also allows your back to breathe quite comfortably because the pack is set off your back an inch or so because of the frame. Most people will love or hate the external frame. I love them and wish there were more options out there.

So I love my Kelty packs. But to each their own.

wcgornto
07-02-2010, 00:15
I have one, I like it very much and I have used it extensively for day hikes and stock supported section hikes. Generally speaking, Kelty packs are a bit on the heavy side, so they are not commonly chosen for long distance hikes.

Bucherm
07-02-2010, 01:47
Earlier in the year(upon discovering that my old e-frame from scouts no logner fit. No doubt it somehow shrunk because I couldn't have gained a substantial amount of weight in 10 years) I bought a Kelty Coyote internal frame. While I like it quite a bit, it is a bit on the heavy side. As a result I am considering downgrading in size to either a ULA Catalyst or a REI Flash 65.

jtbradyl
07-13-2010, 21:07
Very well designed but there was something "mass produced" about it which seemed to make the suspension a little off for comfort. The Bora 80 is superb. Size wise a little smaller but far more rugged and water proof/resistant. As far as small pack vs. large pack: any trip of less than a week and it doesn't make much difference but if you're living out of your pack for an extended period with lots of activity, switching things about and adding or subtracting, a larger pack with a good design allowing the easy carrying of different size loads is the way to go. Makes life easier.

Ironbelly
07-14-2010, 10:24
I have a Redwing 3100 that I use for dayhikes, and my wife uses it when we go on a longer trip. For the price you can't beat the durability and quality of this pack. Easily carries 30-35 lbs, and is really comfortable.

I also have a Kelty Coyote 4750 for my longer trips. Same durable, quality construction as the redwing. And super comfy.

For the price of these packs they are amazing. 90$ for my Redwing, 140 for my Coyote. I actually chose the Coyote over some other bigger brands because it was that comfy to me. And these packs are tough as nails, not this flimsy feeling fabric alot of packs are made out of. Being very tough and durable does increase the weight of the pack a bit though.

ExosC3
07-14-2010, 22:28
I have 2 Keltys...

A Tioga and a Super Tioga. Both external frame packs. I think they may still make them, or atleast campmor still has them. Theyre durable, but not comfortable at all. I hate those packs. BUT im only speaking for the tioga and super tioga, which are pretty old school, kelty makes some nice packs for sure.

STICK
07-25-2010, 20:07
I have the Red Cloud 5600

http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my-current-gear/backpack/kelty-red-cloud-5600/

It is my first pack, and has served me well, however my gear that goes in the pack has shrunk so the pack is a little big. Also, the pack is heavy. I will be upgrading to a smaller and lighter pack soon.

crazyonelost
07-31-2010, 09:54
I am embarressed to say I have a kelty but not sure of the model. I know its about 6 years old and is a little on the heavy side.

I do like it alot but I have learned to shrink down some pack weight and now have too much room

Sierra Echo
07-31-2010, 09:56
I love my kelty pack! Its amazing the amount of crap I can cram in it. Or course that just makes it heavier!

jersey joe
07-31-2010, 10:04
I go the Kelty Pawnee 3300 pack a few weeks ago for $99. It served me well on my first trip out. No complaints.

cowpoke
07-31-2010, 17:05
I have a Kelty Redcloud 5600....had it for years..love it...but kinda heavy...looking at getting a ULA Catalyst.

scope
07-31-2010, 17:17
I've got a Kelty Slickrock 5500, my first pack. Its been some places with me, but I'll never forget my first backpack up to Andrews Glacier in CO, with 5500 pack absolutely stuffed, and the truth is it didn't carry lots of weight well - the padding sort of broke down. Ugghhh, I was miserable for half a day on the way up. Fine, of course on the way down. Still have it, and its fine for car trips, or winter if I've got a lot of lighter bulky stuff. But my Nimbus Meridian carries same weight a whole lot better, just can't get as much in it.