PDA

View Full Version : PackaFeather XL Alcohol Stove

Mountain Wildman
06-11-2010, 17:16
:DRecieved my PackaFeather XL Adjustable Alcohol Stove, It came safely and securely packaged, As advertised it included the adjustable stove, fuel cup, wire pot support, snuffer and plastic cap which fits tightly on the bottom of the stove with all components inside.

Test performed in my kitchen, wind screen not needed.
Room temp: 66 degrees F
Denatured alcohol: 30ML
Water: 2 Cups of cold tap water(don't have a thermometer to check water temp but it comes out of the faucet cold enough up here)
Pot: Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium (Covered)
With adjustment set to highest setting, full rolling boil was achieved in just under 5 minutes and used approximately 20 to 25ML of fuel.

Summary: I am very satisfied with the results and the stove is nested within my SP700 with a small Sea to Summit towel on top to keep the stove from moving around, It does fit nicely in the pot and will not move side to side, the towel holds it in place.:D

Note: Also ordered the Fuel Bottle Kit and Extra Rubber O-Rings.

Mountain Wildman
06-12-2010, 01:30
Addendum: Adjustment in heat is achieved by tightening or loosening the stainless steel band that is around the stove, The band covers holes in the side of the stove and air is regulated by the adjustment, Thus affecting the size and intensity of the flame.
The wire pot support is substantial and has three short legs that match up to holes in the top of the stove and once installed provides a very sturdy pot support.
The bottle kit includes a cap with flip up spout with a small rigid hose inserted into it and a rubber o-ring which fits perfectly on a 20 ounce soda bottle providing an air tight, leak free seal. No fuel leaks from the bottle as long as the cap is on very tight. The bottle can be squeezed to vacuum up any leftover fuel in the stove's fuel cup when cooking is completed.
I think that covers everything, Feel free to ask questions.

ekcite
06-29-2010, 10:38
hi mw,

what is the height of this stove?

thanks for answering!!

ekcite

Mountain Wildman
06-29-2010, 12:07
hi mw,

what is the height of this stove?

thanks for answering!!

ekcite

It is: 1 3/4" High X 3 3/8" Width (Stove)

1 1/16" High X 2 1/2" Width (Fuel Cup)

1" High X 2 13/16" Width (Pot Support)

5/8" High (Adjustable Band)

3/8" High X 1 3/4" Width (Snuffer) 1/2" high gripper on top of snuffer

Stainless Steel Pot Support

Stainless Steel Adjustment Band

Aluminum Stove, Fuel Cup and Snuffer

Plastic cap snaps on the bottom of the stove containing all components inside the stove.

http://www.packafeather.com/xlstove.html

I tested it with a Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium Pot,
I plan to use it to cook and simmer over the 4th of July weekend.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

GeneralLee10
06-29-2010, 12:55
I was using mine some this year till I got bad fuel from the Outfitter in Kent Ct. Then things went bad, real bad as in potential wildfire!! The flam was way way to crazy, coming from every hole in the stove burning orange and leaving residue on the bottom of my pan. It got to the point I was getting a lil nervous. Now keep in mind it was bad fuel, other than that the stove is nice. The band that regulates the air flow is now black as if it were burnt.

Just be very very cautious about the fuel you use in that stove.

I will have to say, like most gear. The less parts there is the better off you are.

Mountain Wildman
06-29-2010, 13:34
I bought fuel from the local Hardware store (Denatured Alcohol) and used it a few times in my Caldera Cone System and once in the PackaFeather XL, It must be good fuel because it worked just fine, I plan to try to use my PackaFeather XL this weekend as my primary stove with a bunch of Packit Gourmet meals I have, I will report on the stove and meals next week.

zelph
06-29-2010, 18:35
I was using mine some this year till I got bad fuel from the Outfitter in Kent Ct. Then things went bad, real bad as in potential wildfire!! The flam was way way to crazy, coming from every hole in the stove burning orange and leaving residue on the bottom of my pan. It got to the point I was getting a lil nervous. Now keep in mind it was bad fuel, other than that the stove is nice. The band that regulates the air flow is now black as if it were burnt.

Just be very very cautious about the fuel you use in that stove.

I will have to say, like most gear. The less parts there is the better off you are.

How did you determine it was "bad" fuel?

What was the name of the fuel he sold you?

GeneralLee10
06-29-2010, 20:20
Everyone that bought the fuel said it was not good and that something seems to be wrong. It was DN in the metal jug, all DN and Heet I have burnt has been clean no orange flames nor has it left a black residue on my pan. Till this one time from Kent and that's after what 1455 miles+/- of trail. It was the ONLY fuel I used that did what it did no other fuel acted as this fuel did.

msupple
01-24-2011, 13:12
Curious...why did you choose the XL over the regular stove. Is there a significant difference between the two. The XL appears sturdier therefore I'm leaning toward that model. Any advice out there?

Mountain Wildman
01-24-2011, 13:48
Curious...why did you choose the XL over the regular stove. Is there a significant difference between the two. The XL appears sturdier therefore I'm leaning toward that model. Any advice out there?

I chose the XL because I prefer the pot support and the XL is a little wider than the FeatherFire stove. I like the mesh screen for the pot support over the three wires the FeatherFire has although they state that it will support 20 lbs. The XL is a little lighter and it packs away smaller and everything fits into the stove and is held in by the plastic cap.
I also ordered the fuel bottle kit and their windscreen.
Their windscreen is much more sturdy than an MSR Stove windscreen and I can use it with my MSR Dragonfly as well. And the XL will fit tightly inside a Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium mug or any larger pot. It even fits inside my GSI Halulite Minimalist Pot/Mug.

msupple
01-24-2011, 23:48
I chose the XL because I prefer the pot support and the XL is a little wider than the FeatherFire stove. I like the mesh screen for the pot support over the three wires the FeatherFire has although they state that it will support 20 lbs. The XL is a little lighter and it packs away smaller and everything fits into the stove and is held in by the plastic cap.
I also ordered the fuel bottle kit and their windscreen.
Their windscreen is much more sturdy than an MSR Stove windscreen and I can use it with my MSR Dragonfly as well. And the XL will fit tightly inside a Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium mug or any larger pot. It even fits inside my GSI Halulite Minimalist Pot/Mug.

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. The reasons you gave are pretty much the exact reasons I was about to choose the XL. The Featherfire looks kind of fragile. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything pro or con. I plan on ordering one. Again...thanks.

handlebar
01-25-2011, 10:43
I used my Featherfire, slightly larger than the stove pictured in the first post above, for both my PCT thru and my 1/2 CDT thru. It's been working just fine!

The pot supports are very sturdy with the proviso that the stove and legs of the supports are on firm ground.

I believe the smaller stove is designed for the smaller, more vertical pots and the larger Featherfire is designed for larger pots, IIRC the info on the web site.

skinewmexico
01-25-2011, 11:24
I bought fuel from the local Hardware store (Denatured Alcohol) and used it a few times in my Caldera Cone System and once in the PackaFeather XL, It must be good fuel because it worked just fine, I plan to try to use my PackaFeather XL this weekend as my primary stove with a bunch of Packit Gourmet meals I have, I will report on the stove and meals next week.

So do you like the Caldera Cone or the Packafeather best? I looked at a Packafeather, but ended up going with a Brasslite stove.

Mountain Wildman
09-22-2011, 15:52
So do you like the Caldera Cone or the Packafeather best? I looked at a Packafeather, but ended up going with a Brasslite stove.

I sold my Caldera Cone, The Packafeather holds more fuel so I can cook my meal with one filling, I like my noodles soft so I usually cook a little more than just adding boiling water, I can simmer with my Packafeather XL.

Snowleopard
09-22-2011, 16:54
How well does the simmer work and how low a simmer can it do?

Mountain Wildman
09-25-2011, 18:28
How well does the simmer work and how low a simmer can it do?
I found the simmer to work quite well, While making a noodle side dish I was able to bring the rapid boil down to a very slow boil so I did not have to constantly stir the noodles.
I have not used it to cook anything delicate like eggs but the adjustment does reduce the flame/heat quite a bit. Where pretty much every other alcohol stove I know of is one size flame with no adjustablity, I find the Packafeather to be an excellent alternative and at 1.5 ounces it is lightweight enough for me.