PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pads (ultra light)

nawlunz
06-11-2010, 18:08
I am planning a solo trip to the Sierras this july....High Sierra Trail. Important to me is weight....but, given the high sierras, I do want some insulation AND some comfort.

Can anyone recommend a sleeping pad? I have been looking at the Thermarest NeoAir and the Prolite....

Need some advice!

Jonnycat
06-11-2010, 18:50
I used to use a thermarest, but I have switched over to the thicker (2.5"), insulated air mattresses.

I have been using an Insulmat from Pacific Outdoor, which I originally purchased in 2006, and it is still going strong (it was renamed as the "Ether thermo 6" series from that company). For my purposes it is perfect.

I tried one of the Big Agnes versions (their "insulated air core"), but it was 20% heavier than they advertised it as being, so I sent it back to them.

Mountain Wildman
06-11-2010, 18:50
I have the NeoAir Large 25 X 77, I used it over Memorial Day Weekend, The design of the mattress allows your body heat to reflect back at you, When I first tried it at home I felt heat the instant I laid on it, It is only rated at 2.5 so if you are going to use it at cold temps you may need an additional pad to increase the rating from 2.5 to a higher insulating value or lay a blanket or tarp over the NeoAir then your sleeping bag. Memorial Day I was comfortable up here in the White Mountains with just the mattress and a 40 Degree Slumberjack rectangular bag. Temps were probably in the 40's or 50's overnight.

hellomolly
06-11-2010, 19:28
Another vote for the NeoAir. Very comfy, warm, and of course, light. Also seems to be (at least for me) more durable than people say. Price is the one bad thing about it, IMO.

Kerosene
06-11-2010, 23:41
NeoAir short (http://www.rei.com/product/781093), with the padded frame of your pack under your feet. 10 ounces for 2" of padded bliss. Some people think the surface is too crinkly (your sleeping bag makes as much noise) and some think it is too subject to puncture (no problems for me to date). It is expensive ($130 at REI, which gets you a lifetime guarantee if you're a member).

Luddite
06-12-2010, 10:57
How tall are you Kerosene? You don't find the short to be too short?

Blissful
06-12-2010, 11:31
Another vote for the NeoAir. Very comfy, warm, and of course, light. Also seems to be (at least for me) more durable than people say. Price is the one bad thing about it, IMO.

I got mine at 02 gear for $90 shipped (with a coupon). Medium size.

Dogwood
06-12-2010, 12:18
Assuming you are talking about the High Sierra Tr and not the Sierra High Route(some folks confuse the two) make sure to check out the BIG trees in Giant Forest, Kern Hot Springs, summit Mt Whitney, and Whitney Portal to Lone Pine. I find it easier to finish this hike by ending out through WP to Lone Pine.

Even coming from New Orleans I don't think you will find it surprisingly cold in the Sierras on the High Sierra Tr in July. And, although you might see some patchy snow you will find places to camp on bare ground in July on your entire trek.

I now use the NeoAir(shorty and med lengths). Extra comfy(even for side sleepers and those who toss around), more insulation than many thinner pads, UL wt., very compressible, more durable then some believe. Used it on the JMT and High Sierra Route. If you are concerned about durablity if you are planning on camping on abrasive(granite, etc) surfaces on your trek carry a ground cloth(Tyvek, etc) to lay underneath the NeoAir.

I'm 6' 4". There is a noticeable drop off(2.5") with the shorty length. I solve the issue by placing my empty pack, a piece of clothing, maps, etc. under my legs, as Kerosene does. I paid $90 for my NeoAir Shorty shipped. I use the med length for winter hiking/camping.

Kerosene
06-12-2010, 15:25
How tall are you Kerosene? You don't find the short to be too short?I'm 5' 9", 180 pounds. Length is more than adequate, with my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone under my legs. The bigger issue is probably width, but as a side-sleeper it isn't too big of an issue for me. Lying on my back, my elbows are off the sides of this 20" wide pad, which forces me to clasp my hands across my stomach to keep my elbows off the cold, hard ground.

karoberts
06-12-2010, 15:41
I think the z rest is comfortable.

jen.sprout
06-12-2010, 16:20
If you are side sleeper and need the thickness, the NeoAir is much thicker than the Prolite (I switched and finally sleep at night without aching hips).

Can you borrow one and see which works for you? Good luck.

Joker4ink
06-13-2010, 01:43
I think the z rest is comfortable.

I also use a Z-Lite and it's very comfortable on your back. I'm a side sleeper so I do get the aching hips though.

skinewmexico
06-13-2010, 11:08
I have been using an Insulmat from Pacific Outdoor, which I originally purchased in 2006, and it is still going strong (it was renamed as the "Ether thermo 6" series from that company). For my purposes it is perfect.

+1. Great pad. I've used it into the upper 20s. I had 3 great, comfortable years with it before Thermarest realized the market was leaving them and had to come up with the Neoair to regain some marke share. Found the POE for $37 on spadout.com. Neoair is lighter, at 3 times the price.

Kerosene
06-13-2010, 12:42
I think the z rest is comfortable.You guys are twenty-somethings also! The 50+ crowd needs extra padding to have a chance at getting a good night's sleep.

skinewmexico
06-13-2010, 16:16
You guys are twenty-somethings also! The 50+ crowd needs extra padding to have a chance at getting a good night's sleep.

Amen brother! Although when I was a 20-something, I didn't need any z-rest. I'd just pile up some rocks. Or cactus. Kids these days......

Luddite
06-21-2010, 19:41
Do you think adding a z-lite under a neoair will make in suitable for use in winter ? Like single digits.

Kerosene
06-21-2010, 20:20
Do you think adding a z-lite under a neoair will make in suitable for use in winter ? Like single digits.Certainly it should take you into the teens, based on my experience with this approach down to 23F. Add the R-value for both and compare it to what you'd need for a single pad to reach that temperature (although I don't know where to find that data).

Roots
06-21-2010, 20:33
another vote for the neo air! i've used it several nights and love it. actually i sleep better on it than my mattress at home. well worth the money!

Luddite
06-21-2010, 20:43
Certainly it should take you into the teens, based on my experience with this approach down to 23F. Add the R-value for both and compare it to what you'd need for a single pad to reach that temperature (although I don't know where to find that data).

Stupid question: Does Tyvek have any insulating properties? Does it have an R-value? Because I'll have Tyvek underneath the Neoair and Z Lite. I've never used the stuff.

grayfox
06-21-2010, 22:51
I am planning a solo trip to the Sierras this july....High Sierra Trail. Important to me is weight....but, given the high sierras, I do want some insulation AND some comfort.

Can anyone recommend a sleeping pad? I have been looking at the Thermarest NeoAir and the Prolite....

Need some advice!

If these are your only choices--I would go with the Prolite or the Prolite Plus if it will be cold.

I broke down and bought a NeoAir last spring. It is more comfortable than my bed at home. But I think that when it gets a puncture(hasn't so far but)it might be hard to repair. When an air mattress goes flat you are out of luck. Still, it is so comfortable...life is full of little trade offs.

BTW, Tyvek has no R-value but it does block moisture from the ground which can sap your body heat.

My bulky but light closed cell foam pads are always there with at least some comfort. They block moisture. I can sit on wet rocks in camp. They don't ever leak ad go flat by morning.

Yeah,life is full of tradeoffs.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 23:16
No experience, but interesting:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html