PDA

View Full Version : Pack Suggestions..Osprey Exos

kiteskimo
06-12-2010, 09:13
Right now I'm looking at the Osprey Exos for my thru hike next year. My question is whether I should go with the 46 or 58. The size jump is just so huge.
Basically, I want to pack as light as possible, but I'm wondering about having enough room for food. Does the Exos 58 cinch down well when there's a lot of extra space?
Also, I was looking at the Golite Jam, but it's only 1 extra liter more than the Exos 46.
Oh, and NO HATIN!...I'm just asking a question.

Kerosene
06-12-2010, 15:48
I've got the same issue, in that 46L is a mite too small, while 58L is too big even for spring/fall trekking.

Take a look at the REI Flash 50L (http://www.rei.com/product/778469), the ULA CDT (http://www.ula-equipment.com/conduit.asp), the Granite Gear Virga (http://www.granitegearstore.com/Virga-P6C7.aspx), and perhaps the MLD Prophet (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=106) for some in-between options. My daughter has an older version of the Flash, which is a pretty nice lightweight pack. I've been considering the others for various purposes, but especially for warm-weather trips with frequent re-supply.

johnnyblisters
06-12-2010, 16:21
The Exos 58 is my new go to pack. Huge enough for bulky winter stuff, compresses very small for summer gear, and light enough for all seasons/combos. I use it for trail work, backpacking trips, and I plan on using it for my thru next year. I used to carry a GG virga and some other frameless packs, but I finally realized that I like being comfortable a lot more than saving a few ounces. Try it out and see if it will work for you.

johnnybgood
06-12-2010, 16:41
My 46L is perfect for week long hikes but I would consider the 58L if I were you,
better to have ample room than be a tad bit short on space.

skinewmexico
06-12-2010, 16:58
I loved the Exos idea, and bought the 46 and 58. Most uncomfortable pack that I've ever had to wear. No, most painful pack I've ever had to wear. I sold the 58 to a skinny friend that loves it. Moral of this story, try before you buy. The are a great concept. Not sure they'd last for a thru hike. I'm really happy with both ULA and Gossamer Gear (made in the USA).

rp1790
06-12-2010, 19:05
I used and Exos 58 for 2 months on the trail last year and loved it. It is huge as you've noticed but to be honest, I'd rather have the extra room. I found that at times when I needed 6-7 days food, such as through the Smokies that having the smaller 48 would have been a struggle, it wouldn't have been big enough for me anyway.

Some people don't like the fitting but I never had any problems and my normal weight with, say, 4-5 days food would be about 30lbs. Got up to 35-37 in the smokies, still ok.

TrekkerJeff
06-12-2010, 19:37
My wife and I both have the Exos 58 packs for our planned thru-hike for next year. We took them to the Grayson Highlands back in April for a shakedown overnighter and were very happy with the comfort, balance and overall storage space. We went for 2 1/2 hours before stopping for a break. We have never gone much more than an hour with previous packs. We carried everything that we have planned for the thru-hike other than the food which would add a few pounds more. Overall we were very happy with Osprey Exos packs.

Wags
06-12-2010, 21:11
i carry the 58. haven't yet encountered a time i wish i bought smaller

MedicineMan
06-12-2010, 22:05
I've got the series...the 34 is perfect for 3 days food spring/summer/early fall.
The 46 is perfect for 5-6 days food spring/summer/early fall.
The 58 is perfect for 5-6 days food winter.
You know these packs aren't that heavy compared to a lot and the mesh back is brilliant IF the pack works for you. The difference in how wet my back gets is amazing.
The extra pocket on the 46 is well worth it and the extra pocketS on the 58 is even more worth it. They even did a great job on the hip pockets where you can see what's in there. These packs aren't designed to be flung to the ground is disgust-just remember that and you'll get a lot of miles out of them.
For me the 34 is happiest at 17-18 pounds....I carried it with 22 in the beginning and though it was tolerable it really shined once it lost 5 pounds.
The 46 FOR ME is good to 25 pounds, maybe 27...I wouldn't do more in it.
Can't say about the 58, its waiting on winter.

Anumber1
06-13-2010, 00:18
I have the 46 and can barely fill with my thru-hike gear and food.

Cedar Tree
06-13-2010, 09:54
I have the 46 and can barely fill with my thru-hike gear and food.

I also have the 46 and it is plenty big for me. My winter gear fills it up, but not overloaded. In the summer I have lots of extra space. It is very well designed, lots of features and pockets. Carries great. The ventilation is wonderful for hot hiking too.
Cedar Tree

Odd Man Out
06-13-2010, 18:20
I was looking at the exos and atmos on-line, but have not seen either in person. What is the difference, as they seem to both have a similar ventilated suspension? Exos seems lighter. Any good reason to go with the atmos?

millergear
06-13-2010, 19:13
Per the specs the 58L is only 3 oz more than the 46. Well worth it if you only have one pack. getting my 65L for Faters Day!

MedicineMan
06-13-2010, 20:58
millergear- 3oz is 3oz....think one could carry 3oz of coconut rum instead :)

rp1790
06-13-2010, 21:13
I was looking at the exos and atmos on-line, but have not seen either in person. What is the difference, as they seem to both have a similar ventilated suspension? Exos seems lighter. Any good reason to go with the atmos?

The Exos is definitely a lot more delicate, you need to be careful about dropping it on shelter floors or even just the ground. The buckles are brittle, I broke one 7 days before I started hiking last year by standing on it in bare feet, on carpet. have also broken the hip belt buckle but that was on concrete. The Atmos is more durable, but the buckles are really the only thing to be aware of on the Exos, not that big a deal IMO.

ExosC3
07-18-2010, 14:10
Id go witht he 58 for sure.

Im selling my Osprey Exos 58 right now. Its a year old and only used for 4 or so weekenders. Perfect shape and lifetime warranty.

Ive done winter hike with it and was able to fit everything. the pack cinches down nicley as well if you arent using all the space.

let me know if your interested. im selling for $150.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63714

Jester2000
07-18-2010, 16:00
. . . Not sure they'd last for a thru hike. . .

They already have.

Durability, and the ability to carry heavier gear. If you buy an Exos you have to commit to the recommended weight limit, otherwise the pack will be uncomfortable and you'll damage it. The Atmos can handle more weight, and is larger at 65L.